ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Joseph Presser

It’s all starting to trickle out just how bad Frost was at “running” things. Not surprising given he is the worst coach in the history of the program. Former players on the radio are finally starting to talk a little about how bad things were.
Oh really?

I guess there were mentions of him being late to practice.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
Has some detailed thoughts on tackling, paraphrasing here... "you have to practice tackling to be good at tackling." Holy shit, I'm in love! I really hope the era of shorts and helmets is over.
Frost had a bit of NFL mentality. Those guys do let up on the physicality of practice during the season, but then again they are professionals and already know how to tackle.

Gotta start somewhere. If he hammers at it in practice hard, it should improve.
His family are all coaches. Granted Vance was a disaster as a head coach in Denver but he's a solid DC in the NFL. Terry his other brother a UT assistant coach. He already referenced what Vance told him about the defense. He said college DBs can't tackle and they are slow to figure things out because most teams play a lot of man coverage. Mickey is gonna make his guys go live in practice. Sounds like Scott wasnt a real big fan of that.

It's one PC full of coach speak. I think I'll wait to see what happens in real life.
In Nebraska, the next coach is as popular as the 2nd string QB. :rolleyes:
I completely agree and, until further notice, I'm not on board with MJ getting the job. Too much risk. However, I'm just so damn relieved to see someone other than Frost that I can't help but be a little giddy.

You forgot the second part of that law: "Special teams are exempt from this law as they are always melting down"
No, you are thinking of Frost’s law of Nebraska: If the side playing well does enough to win, special teams will screw up in comical fashion. :D

It’s all starting to trickle out just how bad Frost was at “running” things. Not surprising given he is the worst coach in the history of the program. Former players on the radio are finally starting to talk a little about how bad things were.
Benning blasted Frost on how lazy he was on the recruiting front. Maybe that worked at Oregon. Won’t work at NU.

Farmer is the least of our problems on defense.
He's the worst behind Chianander. Did you watch the games last year and his tackling? Did you watch the big runs and whiffs of him vs GAS? Buford is also scared to tackle up the middle 1vs1 - go watch the film.

GAS Highlights

2:42 - Buford some sort of hey I don't want to tackle
5:09 - Farmer and where the hell is he going? Not even looking at the play
5:40 - Farmer and the worst angle and tackle attempt on the year
7:12 - Farmer terrible one handed swipe attempt
9:39 - Farmer shoulder tackle

This isn't to say that others are doing well, but he has been horrible anytime he's in the game, especially tackling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Braves3
Let's not judge Coach Joseph on the first game. I think we need to wait until IU before we can start forming any opinion.

Like what I'm hearing though.
This. I hope he tries to run against Oklahoma and grinds the clock. Then play action on offense. Defense stop the run and if you get a third and long. Either bring the blitz or fake blitz. I want the QB to know we are coming after him the whole game long.

A dumpster fire far worse than any before it.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I hope Mickey is leaning on Vance a lot to get the D straightened out. I know that Vance is in season too but just by what was said at the PC today, it sounds like even a little input can go a long way for the team.

I hope Mickey is leaning on Vance a lot to get the D straightened out. I know that Vance is in season too but just by what was said at the PC today, it sounds like even a little input can go a long way for the team.

Vance has his own issues to fix.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Has some detailed thoughts on tackling, paraphrasing here... "you have to practice tackling to be good at tackling." Holy shit, I'm in love! I really hope the era of shorts and helmets is over.
I imagine, but don't know, the days of just flying into the receiver/ball carrier hoping to jar the ball loose could be coming to an end?

Who'd of thought you actually have to practice wrapping up the ball carrier.

Oh really?

I guess there were mentions of him being late to practice.
Vershon Jackson over the noon hour said he was at a practice early on. The team was jacking around, and the coaches weren’t even paying attention. When he asked the players what was up, some media guys said to stop questioning things. There’s more, and it will come out

He did fall victim to one of the classic blunders….

Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Don’t go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Don’t blitz Mahomes.
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim........

How could you not like that guy and not root for him after watching that. I hope he wins the next 9 games.

Mickey was a little bit nervous in the beginning, but he handled that press conference pretty well. You can tell his head is screwed on straight. He doesn't just give canned answers, he pauses to think before opening his mouth, but is still a very genuine person.

That's probably one of the best words I can think of to describe MJ.. Genuine.

I also think he's approaching this in the right way, and putting the kids first. Parent's and administrators love to hear this, and again, I think it's genuine.

I think the players will play hard for him.

Gonna be some bumps in the road, but I'm hoping MJ is successful.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Good presser there, hope he gets things ironed out. IMO, Chins is going to make him look bad regardless…and that straight sucks for MJ cause I think the dude gets it.

I liked it. But man Mickey sure has his generic coach speak down already.
I like how he said he’d talk to Mathis about his comments
I just watched a 30 minute gameplay replay of OU v. Kent State.

It doesn't seem impossible Saturday. Kent State played OU off their feet the first half. But, by midway in 3rd quarter OU had taken command.

OU QB Gabriel has a hose, they use a lot of flare passes and safety valves.
They have a good OL but # 56 likes to go to the face. LOL
OU had a couple open receivers drop balls, and one of them dropped 2.

I think Gabriel was sacked twice in the first half.
When Kent played off the ball, Gabriel, like most D1 kids carved 'em up.
OU did go deep 3-4 times with 2 TD's.

No surprise they really run well on defense and seem to do some twists and blitzes mainly on first down, once on 2nd down.
The Kent St QB gave them a LOT of trouble on zone reads, he is a good runner and made a lot of kids miss.

OU really comes up to support well on short passes, but there were 4 balls that Kent State kids dropped and they were wide open.
Kent also seemed to get a pretty good surge right down the middle.
RB # 24 didn't play in the first half but is far and away their best RB.

OU is good on kickoffs, their kicker put that ball 1/2 way inside the left hash almost every time. The first time OU punted, it was nearly blocked.

OU fair caught every punt but one. OU did return one kickoff that was about 4-5 yards deep in the endzone.

I don't make game predictions but depending on the "mood" of the NU team, this game might be a lot more interesting than most think.

I think Grant has a chance to bounce outside and do damage. The majority of rushing yards by Kent were by their backs bouncing outside for good yardage.

Barring turnovers, I think NU will move the ball very well against OU. I think NU can run the ball decent, and if CT is throwing it well, I think NU can really throw for a lot of yards.

I figured before I got too excited about the coaching change I should at least take a look at OU to see what NU is up against. If the crowd can get crazy, and NU can suddenly tackle better in space, NU has a chance to show the type of athletic talent they have compared to the #7 team in the country.

Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT