ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell

It it was a bad take. Sometimes you gotta own it. Nebraska hasn’t had a head coach leave voluntarily since any of us have even been alive. We are a destination job, we just have hired some lame coaches… with the most recent being the worst hire in Nebraska history
Thank you

I am not against as much as others are. But even if he improves let's say his average is 7 wins and improves with our increase in resources to 9-10 range. You are gonna get 2 things that are going to drive us crazy. #1 even his best teams will drop wierddddd games to people he should not lose to. #2 he has the SF affect even worse than SF. Matt Cambell since 2016 has lost the 3rd most games by 1 score in the country.

Pros: culture and he will beat ranked teams.

PS: I forgot to mention fans are going to lose their minds with his 3-3-5 defense.
I can handle an occasional loss to Northwestern or Purdue, as long as we get an occasional win against Michigan and Ohio State.

Last edited:
Many think Lane Kiffin would be big splash hire but I think he’s a really bad fit here.

Hiring him would be the second coming of Scott Frost. We don’t need any more Country Club / golfing / drinking / partying BS here. We need a coach that is serious about football and just football!
He's doing just fine at Ole Miss. Either he isn't drinking and partying or he drinks and parties but is a good coach in spite of it

It seems like there is no hire that will be a homerun hire. Outside of Nick Saban taking over at Alabama or Urban Meyer at Ohio State. Who has been a homerun hire for anybody in the last two decades? Lincoln Riley at USC? Jim Harbaugh at Michigan? I know people thought Scott Frost was that guy but he didn't have any titles outside of a AAC and self appointed National Title.

No five year track record. There is no for sure thing. Georgia fans will say they knew Kirby Smart was that. They didn't know though. So anybody Nebraska can get is going to be a question mark. Maybe you should have hired Bret Bielema before he went to Illinois.

I hope he gets hired. Then watch him go like .600.

Then we can maybe put to bed all those thoughts that a coach whom is tenured and is .600 can get Nebraska way more because of the name Nebraska.

This would be doing Campbell a favor and not Nebraska fans.

I will support whomever they hire and I've never been one to say I'm done watching this team, but if they hire Campbell, I will check the box scores and wait.

I will not watch that garbage go through its inevitable unfolding.

I can handle an occasional loss to Northwestern or Purdue, as long as we get an occasional win against Michigan and Ohio State.
I agree, but what is this based on? The Big 12 doesn't have two teams as good as Ohio State/Michigan, and Campbell is only 2-6 against Oklahoma, a team that is notorious for pissing away a midseason regular season game.

With Campbell, I don't think the "wait til he has our resources" schtick applies. he is who he is, a lesser Kirk Ferentz.

No thanks to both Campbell and Doeren. Guys that are too long at the same lower-level place. If they were a hot commodity, they'd have moved by now.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Matt Campbell has a low ceiling in terms of wins and losses. However, he does upset ranked teams on occasion and most of his losses are close and competitive. Rarely do his teams get run off the field.

Not sure. After watching some of his pressers he seems like he’d be the type to focus more on chasing skirt than Football wins.

Nothing wrong with chasing skirt but if that is your priority make it so rather than pretending to be a college football coach.

Nebraska hasn’t had a head coach leave voluntarily since any of us have even been alive.

How young are the posters on this board? The first coach in my lifetime, granted I was too young to be aware, but I was under the impression that Devaney stepped away and handed the keys to Osborne. Is there more to this story that I’m unaware of? I saw Tom announce his retirement and anoint Frank as his successor. Was he forced out, I missed that rumor?

How young are the posters on this board? The first coach in my lifetime, granted I was too young to be aware, but I was under the impression that Devaney stepped away and handed the keys to Osborne. Is there more to this story that I’m unaware of? I saw Tom announce his retirement and anoint Frank as his successor. Was he forced out, I missed that rumor?
I "think" it grew from TO's frustration with AD Bill Byrne.

Tom saw schools around the country spending fortunes on new facilities, but Byrne was not willing to give into some things Tom may have wanted for the program. I think Tom was on top of the coaching world and he wanted to stay there.

By 1996 Tom had grown into a giant figure in college football and had reached the pinnacle and I think the Saban's, Bowden's, Paterno's and Osborne's, etc don't feel like they have to answer to the AD regardless of the AD being their boss or not.

Just my opinion.

I believe there was some coaches upset because TO was so young and some of the older guys wanted it.

Not sure of the ages on this board I am likely one of the younger ones on here I am guessing?

I believe there was some coaches upset because TO was so young and some of the older guys wanted it.

Not sure of the ages on this board I am likely one of the younger ones on here I am guessing?
Warren Powers was one of the coaches that wanted the Nebraska job and I believe it’s true that Monte Kiffin also had interest, those would been the main two assistant’s that wanted the job when Devaney thought TO would be the better choice..

Warren Powers was one of the coaches that wanted the Nebraska job and I believe it’s true that Monte Kiffin also had interest, those would been the main two assistant’s that wanted the job when Devaney thought TO would be the better choice..
Carl Selmer wanted the job also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT