ADVERTISEMENT

Mathis gone

I think one year and gone was always his plan. Although this past season wasn't the showcase for him that he thought it was going to be. I don't know if he'd have a better season in the new defense but he might have benefited from another year at Nebraska. I think his issue is that he may too much of a tweener for the pros.

I think one year and gone was always his plan. Although this past season wasn't the showcase for him that he thought it was going to be. I don't know if he'd have a better season in the new defense but he might have benefited from another year at Nebraska. I think his issue is that he may too much of a tweener for the pros.
He's a projected 5th rounder. I wish him well and totally agree he was likely a one-and-gone.

He's one I feel sorry for as if he'd stayed at TCU his senior year would have gone much better. But with NIL I'm sure he made out at NU. Off to the NFL. Hope he's drafted and makes a NFL squad next year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
He's one I feel sorry for as if he'd stayed at TCU his senior year would have gone much better. But with NIL I'm sure he made out at NU. Off to the NFL. Hope he's drafted and makes a NFL squad next year.
Feel bad for a kid who got paid $250k for 1 year playing college football, and not especially well? Ok then.

Reactions: dinglefritz
He’s a 4-3 D end. I’m not sure he fits in next year’s defense. Being a decent run stopper he might have been ok. I think he makes an NFL squad as a backup.

I have a feeling he will do well in the NFL. Didn't shine here for multiple reasons( mainly Chinander). Don't think he was a good fit here but came for the cash. Good luck to him

Reactions: dinglefritz
Good luck to you Mathis on your future plans.

I have a feeling he will do well in the NFL. Didn't shine here for multiple reasons( mainly Chinander). Don't think he was a good fit here but came for the cash. Good luck to him
There were some unrealistic expectations for him. He is what he is and that is a marginally better than average football player. He was slightly better than what we otherwise would have put out there this year.
I don't see pro written on him but if he can get on a team, even for a short time, there is outstanding money it.
On a 30,000 foot view, this is, unfortunately, the future of college ball. Things like loyalty and team pride are being replaced by individualism. All the things that made college football the most intensely loved sport in Americana is circling the drain.
Guys jumping ship for veneer reasons, demanding money, and skipping bowl games, basically flipping off all their teammates and coaches, is semi-acceptable because of the 'can you blame them' excuse.
They glorify all the things you were taught not to be. How do you instill discipline, a vital ingredient, in a team when at the least little sleight your better players walk away.
Imagine demanding someone run the stadium stairs for being late to practice. They'll start running up to the nearest exit and keep on going.

Reactions: Lincoln100
There were some unrealistic expectations for him. He is what he is and that is a marginally better than average football player. He was slightly better than what we otherwise would have put out there this year.
I don't see pro written on him but if he can get on a team, even for a short time, there is outstanding money it.
On a 30,000 foot view, this is, unfortunately, the future of college ball. Things like loyalty and team pride are being replaced by individualism. All the things that made college football the most intensely loved sport in Americana is circling the drain.
Guys jumping ship for veneer reasons, demanding money, and skipping bowl games, basically flipping off all their teammates and coaches, is semi-acceptable because of the 'can you blame them' excuse.
They glorify all the things you were taught not to be. How do you instill discipline, a vital ingredient, in a team when at the least little sleight your better players walk away.
Imagine demanding someone run the stadium stairs for being late to practice. They'll start running up to the nearest exit and keep on going.
Things change when money is involved. It's human nature.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT