ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland baseball coach leaving for Virginia Tech

• Thread starter anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
  • Start date
A

anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Man I hope they get someone good and stay invested in baseball. The B1G is great and all, but baseball is not exactly a marquee sport in the conference. I wish Nebraska could go independent in just baseball, and somehow make it work.

Reactions: saluno22
Not surprised to see Szefc leaving Maryland, as I could imagine him being pretty furious with the Terps' move to the Big Ten. But Virginia Tech? I would have thought Szefc could have done better than that - though maybe he truly loves the ACC and just wanted to get back there.

Man I hope they get someone good and stay invested in baseball. The B1G is great and all, but baseball is not exactly a marquee sport in the conference. I wish Nebraska could go independent in just baseball, and somehow make it work.
Good thought, but I'll bet building a baseball schedule as an independent would be a nightmare. Might be able to capitalize on some of the conferences having an odd number of teams, but otherwise scheduling weekend series once conference play starts would be tough.

Good thought, but I'll bet building a baseball schedule as an independent would be a nightmare. Might be able to capitalize on some of the conferences having an odd number of teams, but otherwise scheduling weekend series once conference play starts would be tough.
I get that, and even though the B1G is making some effort in hardball, it's just not good. Today a kid from Lincoln Southwest made the Freshman All American team at A&M. But I am sure the bullshit excuse of not enough local talent will continue.

I wish Foster would have considered Nebraska but, he has been planning to go to A&M for a long time. But I agree with you 4.6.3, the excuse about talent in Nebraska is BS. There is a lot of great baseball talent west of the Missouri river.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I wish Foster would have considered Nebraska but, he has been planning to go to A&M for a long time. But I agree with you 4.6.3, the excuse about talent in Nebraska is BS. There is a lot of great baseball talent west of the Missouri river.

there may be a lot of talent but they aren't going to the BIG

according to the baseball news, over the last 5 years there has only been 1 team from the BIG that squeaked their way into a top 25 recruiting class

Reactions: dinglefritz
there may be a lot of talent but they aren't going to the BIG

according to the baseball news, over the last 5 years there has only been 1 team from the BIG that squeaked their way into a top 25 recruiting class
Pretty much exactly what this thread is about. But since Erstad played here, he gets praised for missing out on local talent. If the current football coach misses local talent, he is to be hung in the town square

Pretty much exactly what this thread is about. But since Erstad played here, he gets praised for missing out on local talent. If the current football coach misses local talent, he is to be hung in the town square

Baseball and football are worlds apart in the BIG. If you are a top prospect in baseball you would be nuts to not go to a power baseball conference school.

Similar to why a 5 star football player in Idaho isn't going to go to the university of Idaho.

Baseball and football are worlds apart in the BIG. If you are a top prospect in baseball you would be nuts to not go to a power baseball conference school.

Similar to why a 5 star football player in Idaho isn't going to go to the university of Idaho.
There are kids from the area that I KNOW that turned down a cold weather team baseball scholarship to go play at a southern JUCO hoping to get an offer later from a warm weather D-1 program. Many kids that are serious about baseball won't stay in the midwest. Just the way it is. When you can play outside year round at other programs developing your talent, why wouldn't you?

Reactions: saluno22 and jlb321
The Big Ten is night and day better in baseball than it was even 5 years ago. They are getting more teams into the tournament. Just need to start winning a few regionals and super regionals.

Baseball has gotten better but their is a clear ceiling to this conference and it has to do with resources, geography, and the time the baseball season starts. I live in south Louisiana where baseball/ softball is king. Kids are playing year round. Kids from the Midwest jump at the opportunity to go south for baseball just because they don't have to hit indoors the first 2 months of the season.

Just the nature of th beast.

I understand that very much. Which is why I think the worst thing about the B1G move was the baseball team. But Erstad played here... so unlimited titles, right?

Reactions: jlb321
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT