ADVERTISEMENT

Marriage...

Jaemekon

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
was marriage designed to evolve society? was marriage successful in making America one of the greatest nations in history? does marriage require religion to be successful? does the absence of religion mean less marriage? with less marriage is there an inevitable degradation of society?

Reactions: countrybob
I think traditional marriage is a big part of why usa dominated. Men and women had roles and kids were raised in a healthy environment. Probably wasn't going to last forever because the federal reserve has been devaluing the currency to the point that its very difficult for a young family to own a home now even on 2 incomes.

was marriage designed to evolve society? was marriage successful in making America one of the greatest nations in history? does marriage require religion to be successful? does the absence of religion mean less marriage? with less marriage is there an inevitable degradation of society?
Wow man! What a powerful question to ask on a football message board. I don't think it was ever "created". It probably was natural and was initially a way for one person to show loyalty to another person. That way it was a symbol of solidarity and companionship. A way to work together for as long as they are on this earth.

Religion adapted it as a sacrament and was probably after the first "marriage". Naturally it fit, and proclaiming your loyalty for one another with God makes it more "official". Now do I think religion is necessary for it to last for a lifetime. The answer to that is "It definitely helps". The fact you proclaim to be there for one another through good times and bad, and through sickness and health under God" helps to look beyond self gratification.

There really is no right answer to this, but I can tell you first hand it was was extremely hard for me to get a divorce because of the the religious proclamation I made in front of God.

Marry a hot chick that likes sex and has money. Watch how happily ever after you live. You're welcome.
Think About It GIF by Identity

So marriage is like 4000 years old BUT the purpose is probably LESS about "love and happiness" which is pretty new to the marriage, along with diamond engagement rings, that really only go back about 100 years...

But marriage seems that is was created/designed so that the man could have "true" heirs to his shit and not bastards. But I don't know if that word would have been around 4000 years ago but still the same idea.

Clearly today the idea, in America anyway, of a "true heir" is very different.

If you are married and happy, ask yourself this, would you be JUST as happy if you were not married but still living with the person and everything else was exactly the same, just, no piece of paper no sacrament. If the answer is yes, then for you, marriage is not a big deal.

Reactions: Jaemekon
was marriage designed to evolve society? I tend to lean this way. was marriage successful in making America one of the greatest nations in history? I would be surprised if there was a correlation. Though on a personal level there is no doubt I am more successful as a result of my marriage. does marriage require religion to be successful? Last I read there wasn’t a siginificant difference of divorce rates between faith-based couples and non faith-based couples. I think a common base of values likely leads to successful marriages vs religion making it successful on its own (typically religion would be one of the core values to share). does the absence of religion mean less marriage? I would assume there would be less marriage if religion was not involved, but could be countered with different societal benefits. with less marriage is there an inevitable degradation of society? I think we see this playing out currently. Stability in a home with active mothers and fathers modeling love and caring for their kids as a team is tough to replace. Trying to do it all on your own is a challenge and too many people today bear this responsibility. Having my wife out of town for a few days makes me respect single parents so much but also highlights the challenge they have daily.
I’m probably going to regret this post. :)

Also you forgot to add “OT” :)

• Love
Last edited:

Yes

Marriage today is not what is intended to be. Marriage is between one man and one woman for life to become one flesh united to reflect God. Marriage should have God in the center of your marriage if you see it as described previously. Marriage reflects the culture of society, and society today is extremely perverse and Godless.
Marriage today is seen as a convenience and to last as long as I am happy and can be to whomever I want to hook up with. Secular marriage will seldom be successful since there are such low and in some instances zero standards. Marriage will give tax benefits and a regular bed partner.

So marriage is like 4000 years old BUT the purpose is probably LESS about "love and happiness" which is pretty new to the marriage, along with diamond engagement rings, that really only go back about 100 years...

But marriage seems that is was created/designed so that the man could have "true" heirs to his shit and not bastards. But I don't know if that word would have been around 4000 years ago but still the same idea.

If you are married and happy, ask yourself this, would you be JUST as happy if you were not married but still living with the person and everything else was exactly the same, just, no piece of paper no sacrament. If the answer is yes, then for you, marriage is not a big deal.
Youre close about changes, but what is changed in our society is what we call “love” isnt actually love at all,

We set marriages up for failure from the start by romanticizing everything.

Marriage wasn't recognized in the USA until 1913. Marriage gave a resembalance of order to this country, along with the reasons of heirs, etc that others mention. I believe a societal change took place when it was not considered taboo for people to just live together, as many do now. I'm sure some are just as happy and just as miserable as married couples, and in the event of a breakup there are less issues to deal with legally.

In MY world, organized religion played ZERO part in my decision to marry my wife, who was brought up and continues to be Catholic. I told her mom and dad that I refuse to marry my wife in a Catholic church because I do not condone the crimes many of those priests have committed against young people, and then are just transferred to a different location, only to continue doing the same old shit. (Disclaimer, I was abused by my grandfather from ages 5-8 so, in my world,
they would all be put to death).

I also did not want to be one of those strict Catholic/Greek/Jewish, etc parents that wanted my kids to grow up in certain religion and then not be able to marry the love of their life just because he/she was a devout religion that differed from my daughter/son. I had faith in my children to chose whom they wanted. And I would welcome them regardless of their religion or ethnicity. The only exception being a devout Muslim that follows the archaic Middle East philosophy.

I do believe in a higher power. I do not, and have never attended an organized religious church. I think they are phony. They're all 501c(3), and they do not answer to their parishoners, they answer to their boss, the corporation.

My son and daughter are both very religious, as are their children, all of whom attend church weekly. I've never had any problems with my children trying to push their religious beliefs on me, nor have I tried to sway them.

Lastly, and sorry for the potential TLDR. Marriage is awesome, IF the two people are of like mind. I would be nowhere near the man I am, nor nowhere as successful as I am without my wife of 47 years. She's my girl. We started going to shows, dances, etc when I was a young 16 and she was an old 13. Now I'm 69 and she's 66. It's been awesome, despite difficulty times as every person or married couple has experienced.

I knew my wife when she was in diapers, I grew up in the same neighborhood, am best friends with her entire family. Her dad put up grain bins for a living and her mom left school in the 2nd grade. And he raised 7 kids and they never went hungry. My mother-in-law was one of the most savvy people I've ever known, and I really loved her. She taught my wife, and all her sisters (she had 4) how to be a wife, mother and partner to their husbands. Not one divorce in that entire family. Her dad was Spanish and her mother was Mexican, born in Mexico. Didn't mean shit to me where they were from or what ethnicity they were. They were awesome people. I was honored to be asked to deliver a eulogy for each of them.

My mom was divorced 4 times, my older brother and younger sister were divorced 4 times. It's a killer, and sadly, some people just never learn. My mom once tried to tell me how to run my marriage, and I told her to keep her nose out of my marriage because her track record says failure.

Last edited:
Yes to all the above imo. Marriage, good ones, make for good solid families. Religion supports traditional marriage and families. This country was founded upon religion so again yes to all the above. Children are the future of any country. Look around. Have much faith in what you see especially since cell phones, technology, and social media?? Screw the selfies and pay attention to others and your surroundings. I could care less about what you bought or ate.....unless BBQ pictures on here!!!

Yes to all the above imo. Marriage, good ones, make for good solid families. Religion supports traditional marriage and families. This country was founded upon religion so again yes to all the above. Children are the future of any country. Look around. Have much faith in what you see especially since cell phones, technology, and social media?? Screw the selfies and pay attention to others and your surroundings. I could care less about what you bought or ate.....unless BBQ pictures on here!!!

I'll just say that you misunderstand suburbs, disney land, fast food, pop music for social progress and "greatness". 1950-2050 will not be remembered for being a time of particular enlightenment and advancement, likely quite the contrary. I think you should start with the question of "Is America "Great"?". Was it ever "Great"? I mean people in Russia think Russia is great by the millions, in fact so great, that only Russia or Russia like things should exist. The great thing about our society is personal freedom, which in and of itself causes many problems like addiction, massive fatness, high crime, drug/sex trafficking, sexual depravity, environmental degradation, and ironically historically/globally high incarceration rates.

I think traditional marriage is a big part of why usa dominated. Men and women had roles and kids were raised in a healthy environment. Probably wasn't going to last forever because the federal reserve has been devaluing the currency to the point that its very difficult for a young family to own a home now even on 2 incomes.
Go back and look at the starter homes young couples purchased 50 years ago and ask yourself if most young couples today would be caught dead in them.

But yeah, that darned devalued dollar is why they can't have a 5 bedroom/4 bath house in their 20s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT