ADVERTISEMENT

Maravich NCAA scoring record in doubt

mwulf

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2013
Thigh Land
Had no idea this kid was this close to passing Pete. Will need to win a few conference tourney wins to do it.... Oh and a pandemic rule that gave him an extra year.... And a 3 point line but other than that still a lot of points... Blurb from his game today below

Titans' Antoine Davis had his seventh-straight 30-point game and pulled within 63 points of tying Peter Maravich's all-time NCAA Division I scoring record.

Had no idea this kid was this close to passing Pete. Will need to win a few conference tourney wins to do it.... Oh and a pandemic rule that gave him an extra year.... And a 3 point line but other than that still a lot of points... Blurb from his game today below

Titans' Antoine Davis had his seventh-straight 30-point game and pulled within 63 points of tying Peter Maravich's all-time NCAA Division I scoring record.
Horizon League? :rolleyes:

Reactions: scarletred

Shouldn't count or atleast an asterisk. More games too in season compared to the day

Yep if this kid passes him props to him but he will have played like 60 more games to do it
It’s not just more games, it’s the Covid year that is allowing these athletes in all sports to break Records.

It’s not just more games, it’s the Covid year that is allowing these athletes in all sports to break Records.

Pistol played in 83 games as a collegian at LSU where he averaged 44.2 PPG for his career. I imagine you could add 5-8 more PPG if he had a 3 point line. Even if the “record” is broken, Maravich remains the greatest college player of all time.

Pistol played in 83 games as a collegian at LSU where he averaged 44.2 PPG for his career. I imagine you could add 5-8 more PPG if he had a 3 point line. Even if the “record” is broken, Maravich remains the greatest college player of all time.
I'd argue Alcindor. They changed rules because of his dominance.. Outlawed dunking

What is kinda crazy is Maravich was the 3rd player drafted and Bird was the 6th player drafted in their respective drafts.
Yes but the Celtics drafted Bird a year early. He played his senior year after already being drafted. Don’t ask me to explain it, but that’s what happened.

Someone claimed they went back and watched his games and he would have averaged an inconceivable 57 points per game with a 3 point line.

I don’t care so much about the 3 point line, the unfair Covid 5th year is where the problem lies..

No question because of this if he brakes it there should have Asterix by it’s side for that very reason..

Last edited:
To clarify, freshmen were ineligible for varsity competition prior to 1972. That means he played on JV his first year. His official college stats are just the 3 years of varsity.
Right, I deleted my post.. LSU had a freshman team not a JV team.It was told fans would watch the Freshman team play and after the Freshman played the fans would leave for the varsity game..

Bottom line more LSU fans attended the Freshman games than the Varsity because of Pete showmanship..

Amazing that his record may be taken away because of a 5th year because of Covid..

I'd argue Alcindor. They changed rules because of his dominance.. Outlawed dunking
Rule not Rules..

Yes back than they didn’t allow dunking in games.. And when they finally allowed dunking they wouldn’t allow you to dunk during warm ups just the game, couldn’t have been one of the stupidest rules ever made..

Still Pete‘s the best college player ever to play the game..
And let me remind you Pete was the first pro athlete to ever sign a million dollar contract..

Reactions: dinglefritz
I loved watching Pistol Pete play when he was at LSU, loved those old saggy socks he wore (his good luck charms)

This will not be agreed on by some but Pete Maravich was and will be always remembered as one if not the best College basketball player of all time.

Why he is considered the best all time college basketball player, I found his life story and stats fascinating.
  • First, because of the NCAA rules that prohibited him from taking part in varsity competition during his first year as a student, Maravich was prevented from adding to his career record for a full quarter of his time at LSU. During this first year, Maravich scored 741 points in freshman competition.
  • Second, Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. This significant difference has raised speculation regarding just how much higher his records would be, given his long-range shooting ability and how such a component might have altered his play. Writing for ESPN.com, Bob Carter stated, "Though Maravich played before the 3-point shot was established, he loved gunning from long range." It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game and 12 three-pointers per game.
  • Third, the shot clock had also not yet been instituted in NCAA play during Maravich's college career. (A time limit on ball possession speeds up play, mandates an additional number of field goal attempts, eliminates stalling, and increases the number of possessions throughout the game, all resulting in higher overall scoring.)
More than 50 years later, however, many of his NCAA and LSU records still stand. Maravich was a three-time All-Time. Though he never appeared in the NCAA tournament, Maravich played a key role in turning around a lackluster program that had posted a 3–20 record in the season prior to his arrival. Maravich finished his college career in the 1970 National Invitation Tournament, where LSU finished fourth.

Last edited:
Fun discussion. I just took a look at the list of all-time NCAA scoring leaders. As an aside, had no idea Doug McDermott was in the top ten. I see some people advocating for Alcindor and Bird as greatest college players. They were certainly great, as were Chamberlain and Bill Russell. Alcindor and Russell also had the benefit of being on really great collegiate teams, as did Bill Walton who I would argue as one of the best. And as great as they were, Alcindor and Walton also benefited from playing for probably the greatest coach of all time.

I would still pick Maravich as the best collegiate player. It looks to me like with the exception of Maravich and Oscar Robertson, the greatest scorer list isn't necessarily the greatest collegiate player list. Maravich also has three of the top nine NCAA single game scoring records.

Now, the best players only play a year or two in college before heading to the NBA, if they even go to college at all. I am trying to think of the last really great college player that stayed in college for four years that was also a great NBA player, and I am blanking on it. Tim Duncan maybe?

For Pete Sake..

I’m hoping Detroit gets outs in the first game of the Horizon tournament and Davis just scores his average, so the all time leading scorer is afraid..

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
For Pete Sake? How about show some Mercy? 😄

You all sound like Babe Ruth’s wife when Maris was closing in on the home run record

You list all the reasons for an * to be put by the record but fail to recognize why this is actually pretty amazing what Davis is doing

First of all the game today is not the same game they played in the 60’s. Scoring was much easier back then. Players are bigger and faster today. Smaller and slower players = bigger scoring lanes. College basketball scoring is way down vs then because todays game heavily favors defense. Todays size (not just height but weight) makes it very difficult to find an opening. Faster and Bigger kids but the court stayed the same size.

Plus the speed today helps players play multiple styles of defense and helps recovery time to defense.

We can talk about also about technology and how it’s easier to scout a player now with analytics.

So I agree and disagree in a sense. It’s just not the same game at all. Horizon league and Detroit Mercy might be a mid-major but I bet they’d wipe the floor against those 60’s LSU/ SEC teams.

You all sound like Babe Ruth’s wife when Maris was closing in on the home run record

You list all the reasons for an * to be put by the record but fail to recognize why this is actually pretty amazing what Davis is doing

First of all the game today is not the same game they played in the 60’s. Scoring was much easier back then. Players are bigger and faster today. Smaller and slower players = bigger scoring lanes. College basketball scoring is way down vs then because todays game heavily favors defense. Todays size (not just height but weight) makes it very difficult to find an opening. Faster and Bigger kids but the court stayed the same size.

Plus the speed today helps players play multiple styles of defense and helps recovery time to defense.

We can talk about also about technology and how it’s easier to scout a player now with analytics.

So I agree and disagree in a sense. It’s just not the same game at all. Horizon league and Detroit Mercy might be a mid-major but I bet they’d wipe the floor against those 60’s LSU/ SEC teams.

What you rambling about ? Taking 5 years more games to score and get close to 3667 points..

His team sucks 13-18.LSU went to NIT when only 24 teams were allowed in the NCAA tournament..
And I won’t even mention the 3 point line which is another factor…

Pete’s a hall a Pro Hall a Famer is he not.?

Take a Hike.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
If the kid from Detroit Mercy breaks the record, good for him. He’ll never be mentioned in the same breath as Maravich, so who cares if he’s #1 on the list?

Longer seasons and larger NCAA tournament fields don’t stop overpaid coaches from claiming that 20 wins or tourney bids are still big deals worthy of accolades and bonuses. No asterisks go next to their names.

I don’t care so much about the 3 point line, the unfair Covid 5th year is where the problem lies..

No question because of this if he brakes it there should have Asterix by it’s side for that very reason..
Exactly where I stand also. There is always differences in Rules and games played when you are comparing different eras.If this kid breaks the record. Covid is the only reason and all records need to have an asterisk by them.

Reactions: grandpabutch
Exactly where I stand also. There is always differences in Rules and games played when you are comparing different eras.If this kid breaks the record. Covid is the only reason and all records need to have an asterisk by them.
+1 Bingo, the Covid year makes it asterisk..No one complaining about the 3 point line or Freshman were ineligible either, it’s five years plan and simple…

Reactions: grandpabutch
Plus shot clock speeds up game allowing more shots as well as double bonus and I'm sure I'm missing some others. More auto time outs gives players more breaks without subbing out

Plus shot clock speeds up game allowing more shots as well as double bonus and I'm sure I'm missing some others. More auto time outs gives players more breaks without subbing out
Another good point..very few TV times outs back in the day..

I don't care what era each of these players played in, Pete Maravich was the best pure shooter and ball handler and quite honestly the best college basketball player ever. I'm sure someone will come along in the future with the skills that match Pete's but I haven't seen that player yet.

This has nothing to do with race, either you have it or you don't. I could care less what race Pete Maravich was he just happened to be a white kid with incredible basketball skills who could outplay anyone on the court.

You sure about all that?
Steve Kerr is the career NBA leader for 3 point shooting at 45 %.

Pete was a hobbled past his prime player when the 3 point was added to the NBA game. He had two years, one with Larry Bird. His career 3 point percentage is an unthinkable 66%. That was in the era of Bird, Magic, and Abdul-Jabbar.
Don't give me this different times jazz.

And you have no idea what you are talking about. Feelings don't count. Today's game favors offense, not defense. You can't play physical like they did back then. They didn't have a shot clock, either. Teams would play keep away. Anybody remember four corners? And you think that opposing teams didn't know that Maravich was coming? They couldn't stop him.

And yes, Bird was the greatest of all time!

Reactions: pascal
Another good point..very few TV times outs back in the day..
Plus back then the TV timeout only happened when it could and not 4 per half automatically cooked in to EVERY game.

However, it was 1/4 not halves so that offsets a little

Rule not Rules..

Yes back than they didn’t allow dunking in games.. And when they finally allowed dunking they wouldn’t allow you to dunk during warm ups just the game, couldn’t have been one of the stupidest rules ever made..

Still Pete‘s the best college player ever to play the game..
And let me remind you Pete was the first pro athlete to ever sign a million dollar contract..
when lew played dunking was allowed only during the pregame. some teams put on quite an exibition during warmups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT