ADVERTISEMENT

Lyle Bremser or Kent Pavelka....

I'll just say that we fortunate to have Greg Sharpe right now. He is light years better than what Pavelka was. Maybe not to the level of Lyle, but I hope he stays until he retires.

Reactions: schuele
Oh, I know....but I'm a pot stirrer....:)

I WILL say my favorite Bremser game was the oft forgotten Hawaii game where he MIGHT have been partaking before said contest...:)
t remember that. I stayed up really late to listen to that game

Glad to see others like Dick Perry. He was my favorite because of his accuracy. Lyle Bremser was colorful and fun to listen to but he often was way off on what he was reporting. If you watch a game with his commentary spliced in you will see that he was often painfully off: "Tagge hands off to Kinney, and Kinney fights for 6 yards. Second and 4." Uh, no, Kinney just barely made it back to the line of scrimmage and it's 3rd and 9. Still, a Bremser classic like JR's punt return against OU cannot be matched.
I remember that about Lyle, Too. I don't think he could see that well toward the end of his career or even close to it

Rose was terrible
Swarm was terrible
Zenner was great when I was a kid... didn’t he die really young?
I like Sharp
i’d LOVE MITCH HOLTHUS

Lyle, as long as you didn’t mind being in the dark about what was happening on the field. One second a player was on the 10, a second later the 50. Hilarious but maybe that was the alleged imbibing noted above.

(Unrelated to Lyle but of that same time, I still miss 50+ year old Husker Bob running through the Stadium like a kid and leading cheers. Others like the Chiefs Mad Mike who was brought to Lincoln to repeat his gig tried to pick up the slack after Bob, but Bob was an original. Lyle and Husker Bob — two originals and both unreplaceable.)

Last edited:
Got Husker Bob to come to one of our parties. Dude was living his best (alcoholic) life,

Maybe it was because I was a kid, and what ended up following, but I enjoyed listening to Pavelka on football games. Had a lot of energy, but that was awhile ago.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
Isn't Mitch from smith center? Possibly southern Nebraska? I herd the story but can't recall
Yep. From Smith Center, KS. Earned a couple of degrees from K-State. I'm not a Chiefs fan but I do enjoy listening to Holthus. Every Chiefs game is on Omaha local radio so sometimes there isn't much of a choice when listening on the radio.

Dancin' in the aisles and left them counting their change--seems like just the other day to me. The one foulup he regretted was describing Jarvis Redwines run away from, I believe OU, as "bye bye blackbird". He apologized profusely for that and he meant nothing derogatory by it in the first place. I wish I had known the man.

Glad to see a few of us still remember Tim Moreland. He had some great catchphrases ("Goodbye Dolly Gray!", "Rolled him like a nickel cigar!"). Does anyone know where he went after Nebraska? Was thinking maybe the Minnesota Vikings PBP.

Lyle by a wide margin, Pavelka has never been good to listen to in my opinion. No a big fan of Davidson on the football broadcast either.

I will go with Lyle, but I am old and cranky and think everything from the old days is best. One of my best friends use to mow Lyle's lawn. Started doing it when he went to Westside and continued all the way through going to NU. Lyle treated him very well. Always had little side projects for him to do. I never met Lyle but I've helped mow his lawn and carry plants to his flowerbeds.
By all accounts that I have read Bremser was indeed a genuinely nice guy. Everybody he worked with just loved him. I think, too, that it was precisely this aspect of his personality that made him such a great announcer. Despite his inaccuracies you just got the impression listening to him that it was as if your best buddy from next door was calling a game.

Don’t remember that, but Joe Patrick got stuck covering the local bowling leagues at Leisure Lanes.

That was some gripping TV: “Floyd here is a washing machine repairman from Benson with a 142 average, but today he rolled a 156. Floyd, you were really feelin’ out there, weren’t you?”
" The 7 -10 split for a set of Firestones"

Reactions: schuele
....who you got?
Love them both, but I would vote for Kent. I probably got in on Bremser more at the tale end of his career and I think he had Kent in the booth with him at one point. But Bremser was more of that old 60's and 70's style of being a great character in the booth, but missing details of the game.

It was a different time, of course, and few games back in the 70's and 80's were televised. But I really enjoyed listening to games on the radio. Still do as a matter of fact. And Husker games were not exclusive to one network. I actually listened for a couple years to Ray Scott, the legendary play by play man who (I think) KLIN brought in to do games. And Ray was outstanding, even better than Bremser.

I can now appreciate Bremser, but as a kid in the 70s he was the last person I wanted to listen to. Plus in the west end of the state we did hear him much. Don Gill as a kid was my favorite.

Last edited:
Lyle by a wide margin, Pavelka has never been good to listen to in my opinion. No a big fan of Davidson on the football broadcast either.
Agree Davison is to critical and has a whiny voice, id love to see Steve Taylor as the color commentator with Gregg Sharpe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT