ADVERTISEMENT

Lyle Bremser or Kent Pavelka....

Kent was pretty decent for football earlier on but his later years he got a little arrogant. I'll say Lyle number 1 by a good distance the tie Gregg Sharpe and Kent, Warren Swain (ugh) last Jim Rose (double ugh) couldn't understand him

Pavelka is just godawful. When you claim a shortstop lost a groundball in the sun you're a complete joke. Or bitching about the referees needing to make a decision on a penalty call when, in fact, the game is delayed because a player is waiting to be carted off the field. Or having your idiot wife work as the sideline reporter.

My rankings:

1. Lyle
2. Greg Sharpe
3. Kent Pavelka
4. Warren Swain

there-are-good-teams-there-are-bad-teams-then-there-is-50-feet-of-crap-and-then-there-is-your-team.jpg

5. Jim Rose

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
1. Bremser
1a. Pavelka
2. Tim Moreland
3. Russ Baldwin
4. Dick Perry
Glad to see you list Dick Perry here. People tend to forget that back in the day there was no "Husker Radio Network". All of the major radio stations in Lincoln and Omaha had their own play by play football announcers. And even though I loved Lyle Bremser on KFAB and always listened to him when I had a choice, occasionally I would be over at a friend's house listening to a game and they would have on KFOR and Dick Perry. Perry was more accurate and more of a classic play-by-play man than Bremser, but not nearly as colorful.

Glad to see you list Dick Perry here. People tend to forget that back in the day there was no "Husker Radio Network". All of the major radio stations in Lincoln and Omaha had their own play by play football announcers. And even though I loved Lyle Bremser on KFAB and always listened to him when I had a choice, occasionally I would be over at a friend's house listening to a game and they would have on KFOR and Dick Perry. Perry was more accurate and more of a classic play-by-play man than Bremser, but not nearly as colorful.

Another one was Bob Zenner along with Dick Perry and Lyle...

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I must be weird because I just don't get that wrapped up in announcers. Can I follow what's going on? Good enough. Seems like people are always going off the deep end about some "terrible" announcer, I couldn't care less. I listen to or watch almost every Royals game, they have like five play by play guys and they're all fine with me. Greg Sharpe, Pelka, whatever...

Having said all of that Joe Buck sucks.

Reactions: mmunso7
Bremser’s descriptions of Johnny Rodgers’ runs and overall impact were just breathtaking. You could here radios on down my whole street so folks could listen while they were raking leaves. It made you look for tickets to see the phenom in person. Today, almost every game is televised...there’s no mystery. That era was special.

Please keep in my mind that I grew up listening to Kent Pavelka as a kid. Here is my favorite Kent Pavelka call...

Reactions: jedimasterjed
Glad to see others like Dick Perry. He was my favorite because of his accuracy. Lyle Bremser was colorful and fun to listen to but he often was way off on what he was reporting. If you watch a game with his commentary spliced in you will see that he was often painfully off: "Tagge hands off to Kinney, and Kinney fights for 6 yards. Second and 4." Uh, no, Kinney just barely made it back to the line of scrimmage and it's 3rd and 9. Still, a Bremser classic like JR's punt return against OU cannot be matched.

Does anyone remember Lyle bremser calling a boxing match? I herd he called boxing earlier in his career
Don’t remember that, but Joe Patrick got stuck covering the local bowling leagues at Leisure Lanes.

That was some gripping TV: “Floyd here is a washing machine repairman from Benson with a 142 average, but today he rolled a 156. Floyd, you were really feelin’ out there, weren’t you?”

I will go with Lyle, but I am old and cranky and think everything from the old days is best. One of my best friends use to mow Lyle's lawn. Started doing it when he went to Westside and continued all the way through going to NU. Lyle treated him very well. Always had little side projects for him to do. I never met Lyle but I've helped mow his lawn and carry plants to his flowerbeds.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT