ADVERTISEMENT

Lutovsky at right guard

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
I haven't seen much if any discussion of the O line play from Saturday. What's everybody think? My general impression was that our right side struggled at times against UNI but I didn't really focus on that much when I was watching the game.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
IMO his lateral movement limits him. Pretty good when he gets his hands on a guy. Would fit better in a power scheme rather than mostly inside zone blocking.

Mazzucca is clearly better but sounds like he made a dumb@ss decision, whatever it was. Hopefully he can earn trust back & get on the field because we will need him.

I haven't seen much if any discussion of the O line play from Saturday. What's everybody think? My general impression was that our right side struggled at times against UNI but I didn't really focus on that much when I was watching the game.
Seemed like we attacked the left side, especially wide with short passes and runs out wide left. If the right side is struggling at least we were wise to avoid it.

Reactions: huntered
Right side will continue to be the weaker side until we can get a tackle who can surpass the one we have out their, IMO

I don't know. Was too busy watching Barney and Nelson when they were in the game. Those guys are electric. Seemed like we struggled to run Dowdell inside like the previous 2 games.
UNI was geared up to try to take the run game away from us IMO. I think their D line was actually bigger than CU's. CU had some athletic guys but I don't think they were gap sound all the time. UNI was very disciplined. I think their lines would match up well with Iowa's or Minnesota's.

Reactions: huntered
Blurb in paper today said that Mazz had been "demoted" to 2nd string...wouldn't play on Friday..but still practicing with the team. "
Rhule said that in his press conference and believe he said he was #2 coming out of the spring. He was very open about Mazz not performing to the standard in spring. Hoped he would clean it up - but like Rhule’s mindset on such things. Hopefully MM learns from it and applies these learnings.

Reactions: king_kong_
so you don't think we're physical enough on our lines too then cuz they gave us fits
If 34-3 while running vanilla offense and defense is "dealing us fits" I'll take that every single game. You can tell Rhule thinks most of us are stupid for being repeatedly dissatisfied with these wins. I think we're plenty physical, and I think both Minnesota and Iowa would also easily beat UNI.

If 34-3 while running vanilla offense and defense is "dealing us fits" I'll take that every single game. You can tell Rhule thinks most of us are stupid for being repeatedly dissatisfied with these wins. I think we're plenty physical, and I think both Minnesota and Iowa would also easily beat UNI.
Did I say I was dissatisfied with the win? I'm saying at times we had trouble running the ball and at least early in the game they ran it pretty effectively against us. IF I remember correctly they had double our rushing yards at half time. It was UNI. We should beat them by 30 and not pound our chest about it. I understand that hasn't been the case for a long time but we need to strive to be great

Did I say I was dissatisfied with the win? I'm saying at times we had trouble running the ball and at least early in the game they ran it pretty effectively against us. IF I remember correctly they had double our rushing yards at half time. It was UNI. We should beat them by 30 and not pound our chest about it. I understand that hasn't been the case for a long time but we need to strive to be great
Fine, let's not pound our chest. That's not the prevailing vibe I got after the game. Mostly more complaining. I think fans are irrational. I'm pretty sure the team is striving to be great. Nebraska scored easily in the first half and UNI inched the ball down the field because they HAD to - resulting in a lopsided TOP and also resulting in UNI's out-rushing us. We beat them soundly in every aspect.

I had some respect for their coach until I heard him say afterwards "that game was winnable." Talk about delusional. COACH - WE WEREN'T TRYING THAT HARD.

Fine, let's not pound our chest. That's not the prevailing vibe I got after the game. Mostly more complaining. I think fans are irrational. I'm pretty sure the team is striving to be great. Nebraska scored easily in the first half and UNI inched the ball down the field because they HAD to - resulting in a lopsided TOP and also resulting in UNI's out-rushing us. We beat them soundly in every aspect.

I had some respect for their coach until I heard him say afterwards "that game was winnable." Talk about delusional. COACH - WE WEREN'T TRYING THAT HARD.
I agree that probably the majority of our fans are irrational. UNI played the way they always play. It's a clock eating ball control offense and fortunately we stopped them on a fourth down. They averaged in the mid 3s per rush. IMO that's too much to give up to an FCS team. Our rushing stats actually improved late in the second half with some explosive plays from the backups. I get that UNI was focused on stopping our run game and what concerns me some about that was that early on they had some success doing that.

Last edited:

I think saying "that game was winnable." was just coach speak by the UNI coach. Any coach who has been around the game as long as he has, knows his team never had a chance.

The UNI coach was just speaking from his own point of view. UNI probably did have a 10% chance of winning at least on paper. But in reality UNI didn't really have a chance because this Nebraska team doesn't make the amount of mistakes that it would take to help UNI out. Like Tanner Lee's two pick sixes against Northern Illinois.

We ran dowdell 6 times. We treated the game as the glorified scrimmage that it was. We did whatever we wanted on their defense. Gmafb.
Preach Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

IMO his lateral movement limits him. Pretty good when he gets his hands on a guy. Would fit better in a power scheme rather than mostly inside zone blocking.

Mazzucca is clearly better but sounds like he made a dumb@ss decision, whatever it was. Hopefully he can earn trust back & get on the field because we will need him.
Mazz got into it with Donnie as he came off the field in the Colorado game. He's has his problems. That's why he's here. Hope he gets himself straightened out.

• Haha
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Mazz got into it with Donnie as he came off the field in the Colorado game. He's has his problems. That's why he's here. Hope he gets himself straightened out.
I saw Donovan's brother get in to a physical altercation with his Lion's O line coach on the sideline at a Vikings game. It happens. I would rather have that than a guy that doesn't give a sh##.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I saw Donovan's brother get in to a physical altercation with his Lion's O line coach on the sideline at a Vikings game. It happens. I would rather have that than a guy that doesn't give a sh##.
I'm sure they wanted to correct something when he went off. They laid down the discipline and he's getting a chance to right himself. We want Incognito the talent, not Incognito the mental case.

Last edited:
I'm sure they wanted to correct something when he went off. They laid down the discipline and he's getting a chance to right himself. We want Incognito the talent, not Incognito the mental case.
I think Sipple's explanation is probably pretty close. Rhule had a set of goals that MM had to meet in order to play and he didn't think MM could meet them this quick. Still has to earn his way back to #1.

I think Taumua will be pretty solid for us! The Pyle kid is another I think will be good!

They have said positive things about Pyle and Sledge. Benning said both are working with the second team. We are probably fine on the interior with those two, Evans, Luto. But we will need to hit the portal hard for OT’s.

this is exactly why I don't watch/listen to the pressers anymore

guys who talk a lot (Rhule) are bound to go back on something, contradict themselves or just flat out forget they said certain things

I know a thing or two about this Smokin
LOL. Sometimes I look back at stuff I posted a month or so ago and can't believe I actually posted it at that time.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT