ADVERTISEMENT

Luke's HUDL

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
Since I have seen a lot of comments here about McCaffrey only being an athlete and not being able to pass or not being a real QB, I looked at his HS HUDL. I realize HUDL highlights are, well, highlights, but Luke's look pretty good. His senior year Luke threw for 2,202 yards (14 games), with 21 TDs, 4 INTs and was 160/287 (56%) and 13.8 yards per completion. His team was undefeated, 14-0. His senior highlights show he can throw the ball long, has good accuracy and he scans and finds the open man.

Incidentally, as a junior Adrian threw for 2562 yards (12 games), with 25 TDs and 4 INTs, and was 220/366 (60%) and 11.6 yards per completion. His team was 9-3 and lost in the second round of the playoffs.

I'm starting to feel sorry for both these kids because I am suspecting more each day it is less about them and more about scheme, development and their position coach. I mean, I guess I could see one good high school QB forgetting how to pass after 2 years in a college program, but TWO??? While this team obviously has a lot of problems, Frost has GOT to do something about his QBs. Lubick has always been a receiver's coach, so maybe Mario could be replaced with a QB coach that also handled recruiting coordination or special teams.

Since I have seen a lot of comments here about McCaffrey only being an athlete and not being able to pass or not being a real QB, I looked at his HS HUDL. I realize HUDL highlights are, well, highlights, but Luke's look pretty good. His senior year Luke threw for 2,202 yards (14 games), with 21 TDs, 4 INTs and was 160/287 (56%) and 13.8 yards per completion. His team was undefeated, 14-0. His senior highlights show he can throw the ball long, has good accuracy and he scans and finds the open man.

Incidentally, as a junior Adrian threw for 2562 yards (12 games), with 25 TDs and 4 INTs, and was 220/366 (60%) and 11.6 yards per completion. His team was 9-3 and lost in the second round of the playoffs.

I'm starting to feel sorry for both these kids because I am suspecting more each day it is less about them and more about scheme, development and their position coach. I mean, I guess I could see one good high school QB forgetting how to pass after 2 years in a college program, but TWO??? While this team obviously has a lot of problems, Frost has GOT to do something about his QBs. Lubick has always been a receiver's coach, so maybe Mario could be replaced with a QB coach that also handled recruiting coordination or special teams.

Second indication is AM’s freshman year looking like his best year, even after missing senior season. Verduzco appears to be ruining our QBs.

My suspicion is trying too hard to make them focus on mechanics. Next, overthinking the game and not understanding how to see the field in real time vs textbook stuff.

That’s good info...I think both kids have a lot more upside than we’ve seen thus far. Adrian seemed to take a big step backward last year and I’m still perplexed about that. Their ability to throw more consistently is critical for Scott’s offense. We’ll get better.

Every quarterback since 2002 has gotten progressively worse during their time at Nebraska. It's like they consistently received better coaching in high school than college.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Second indication is AM’s freshman year looking like his best year, even after missing senior season. Verduzco appears to be ruining our QBs.

My suspicion is trying too hard to make them focus on mechanics. Next, overthinking the game and not understanding how to see the field in real time vs textbook stuff.
You know what Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen did with Tebows dog shit mechanics? Nothing. Quit trying to fix these kids and let them go out and make plays

IDK I just see a lot of "out athleting" from both him and wide receivers. Throwing a lot up for grabs. Throws off back foot at times, etc. Things you can get away with when your team pretty much has the better athletes across the board but you can't get away with in Div. 1 college football.

IDK I just see a lot of "out athleting" from both him and wide receivers. Throwing a lot up for grabs. Throws off back foot at times, etc. Things you can get away with when your team pretty much has the better athletes across the board but you can't get away with in Div. 1 college football.
Correct. His HS film as a passer doesn't impress me at all. He *can be* a *capable* passer but not if he's making late decisions and/or bad decisions.

Yeah I don’t know what kind of mechanics call for constantly short arming the ball. Both qb's are not extending the arm and following through properly and it's leading to weak, inaccurate passes. The mental part of it isn't much better. Verduzco is a net negative.

I've seen countless kids have good passing stats in HS but that does not equate to the next level. Elite athletes in HS can get away with things at HS that you can't in college - same for college to pro.

Reactions: TheBeav815

It is interesting to watch some of these kids play Johnny B Good against the weak sisters of the poor. Do we have enough footage of when a kid is tested and still manages to prevail. Watching what is basically 7 on 7 drills is not predictive of future success when the competition gets much stiffer.

Oh, and one of Lukes biggest problems is that he holds the ball a second too long. Hopefully that improves with development.

I've seen countless kids have good passing stats in HS but that does not equate to the next level. Elite athletes in HS can get away with things at HS that you can't in college - same for college to pro.
Film study is the #1 factor to me. Dudes get paid big bucks to watch tape of QBs and figure out what they can and can't do. The tape is in on our QBs and the DCs have a long "can't do" list on our guys.

Film study is the #1 factor to me. Dudes get paid big bucks to watch tape of QBs and figure out what they can and can't do. The tape is in on our QBs and the DCs have a long "can't do" list on our guys.

Luke and AM can get it done - I've seen enough from both. We can't run with our RBs right now, we only do obvious QB runs which actually are decently efficient, we have no idea what a WR is apparently, o-line has been less than stellar lately. Defense has never been good.

In a golf lesson once the pro told me to work on what he taught me on the driving range but once you get on the course forget about it and do whatever you can to get as low a score as possible. In other words, the game is not the time to be thinking about the fundamentals. Practice on the practice field. Game time forget about it and just play.

Reactions: HominidHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT