ADVERTISEMENT

Lovie Smith to Illinois

Lovie is also the first AA coach in Illini history...that is a big deal and if you know anything at all about the Chicago Public Schools (and private) it could be a huge part in recruiting.

How much D1 talent is in the Chicago area vs. the rather fertile grounds in Ohio and Michigan? I suspect enough to complete better with Iowa, Nebraska, etc but not tOSU. Maybe that is OK - if Lovie can make IL relevant (even if they never make a Conf Champ Game) - winning record keeps him around at least 7 years most likely.

If you're implying hiring Lovie Smith is "swinging for the fences", I'll politely disagree. As a fan of Nebraska Football, you've:

- already seen Nebraska make a hire just like this;
- aren't taking into account the difference in Administrations between the two universities;
- already seen a new Athletic Director exhibit ego over patience;
- haven't been paying attention to the culture of Nebraska Football as it relates to hiring practice.

My guess is, if Nebraska had hired Lovie Smith, you'd be unimpressed. Your dislike for our current hire is showing.

The hiring of Lovie Smith by IL is clearly "swinging for the fences". Nobody saw this coming, and most everyone would have said that it was unrealistic.

And by the way, Lovie Smith is not Bill Callahan.
Keep jumping to conclusions, though.

As I've stated before, our hiring of MR was underwhelming to me. That said, I remain cautiously optimistic that he can turn things around.

Last edited:
I guess I get to be the guy to remind everyone that Illinios beat us this yr (so yes, I don't think any of our fans should really comment like they know what's good for them...). As noted above, Lovie still had a better Pro coaching record than our current coach. I guess about the only thing Huskers fans should do is wish them the best of luck with their new coach and leave it at that...
GBR
So by that logic, we should be able to talk about the record of Mark Dantonio at Michigan State and whether he is good enough for them since we beat them last year-since I guess that is the only criteria that matters when you discuss how good a coach is.

Reactions: timnsun
yeah...that's exactly what I meant :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GBR
Well, then explain to me what is different. This idea that we aren't even allowed to have an opinion on their hire just because they beat us last year is about as stupid, ridiculous, nonsensical and asinine as it gets.

Reactions: timnsun
Well, then explain to me what is different. This idea that we aren't even allowed to have an opinion on their hire just because they beat us last year is about as stupid, ridiculous, nonsensical and asinine as it gets.

What is there to explain? He was poking fun at you and the Huskers for losing to Illinois.

Illini fan here with lots of respect for and friend in Nebraska. This is a huge hire for the Illini. Lovie has great integrity (on a Dr Tom level). He will recruit well and assemble an excellent staff. Let's see how it plays out over the next four years. I will be in Lincoln to take my grief in 2016, but look forward to the 2018 game. GBR- I-L-L!!

Good hire for Illinois. We'll see if it works out. I don't believe anyone in Illinois really cares about Illini football, but most everyone cares about the Bears. Lovie will be a name that recruits and their parents recognize. And he's not all that bad of a coach. I think it'll be an improvement for Illinois.

Now all this talk about Lovie's integrity... this is NCAA college football we're talking about. Most of the successful coaches today would be right at home selling junk bonds.

Definitely a great hire for Illinois provided he hires the right assistants. Lovie will have instant credibility with Chicago area recruits. He should be able to sign at least 3-4 highly rated Chicago area prospects each year who would have otherwise gone to Notre Dame, Northwestern, Wisconsin, or another B10 school.

One thing is for certain: the Illini defense will improve significantly right away under Smith -that's his expertise. We'll see if he can get the right OC to make it complete.

$23 million over 6 years. Looks like the new AD is serious about fielding a contender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT