ADVERTISEMENT

Lions-Cowboys ending

I watched the replay, did not look like he was covered to me.
Really? I thought the WR lined up right next to him.

That might not have been the reason the refs called the play back, though. If it wasn’t, I don’t blame Campbell for being pissed.

I do not believe the NFL fixes games but I do believe they & the Big Ten have a HUGE officiating issue. The level of incompetence by officiating crews is big and is effecting the integrity of the game.

Here is a solution. Make ALL officials full time employees and pay them year round and when they are not officiating games they are doing virtual reality training. This can be programed to give them training on what to look for and all kinds of scenarios.

The NFL & BIG TEN administration should be leading in this area and make this happen asap!

I do not believe the NFL fixes games but I do believe they & the Big Ten have a HUGE officiating issue. The level of incompetence by officiating crews is big and is effecting the integrity of the game.

Here is a solution. Make ALL officials full time employees and pay them year round and when they are not officiating games they are doing virtual reality training. This can be programed to give them training on what to look for and all kinds of scenarios.

The NFL & BIG TEN administration should be leading in this area and make this happen asap!
I’ve said this forever. There’s more than enough money around to make it happen. Make the XFL and USFL part of their contract to stay sharp. And strict age and physical fitness requirements. No more 70 year old lawyers trying to call games with world class, 20-something athletes. No more fat, slow, etc. Make them pros. Finally, make them accountable. Put them in front of the media, just like players and coaches. Enough shielding these people.

I don't know, this one is pretty bad. The Decker guy definitely reported and the refs saying he didn't makes me almost believe that it was fixed. I mean, what's the other explanation? "Oops I got confused on what guy it was?" Full transparency here though, I hate the Cowboys. It feels like more and more often I invest hours into watching a game only to have it decided by weird calls.

Officials and NFL need to man up and own this mistake. This is playoff seeding. Bonuses, jobs and careers. Brad Allen's crew is a clusterfvck clown crew that consistently misses blatant calls. But this one may be the final nail in the coffin for him.

Reactions: BleedRed78
To me it looks like the ref got the number wrong. #68 reported; then as the ref was about to run over to the Dallas huddle to tell them, #70 starts heading his way. He probably sees #70, gets 70 on the brain, then mistakenly reports #70 as eligible.

Major screw up...as it was mentioned, they would be better off admitting they screwed this up. I suspect the NFL will acknowledge the mistake. They won't change the result, but will admit the error.

I don't know, this one is pretty bad. The Decker guy definitely reported and the refs saying he didn't makes me almost believe that it was fixed. I mean, what's the other explanation? "Oops I got confused on what guy it was?" Full transparency here though, I hate the Cowboys. It feels like more and more often I invest hours into watching a game only to have it decided by weird calls.

I've seen the time period where the guy reported...he was several feet away from the pow wow and the ref in question was talking to two other players at the time. I don't think that is as black and white as people are making it out to be.

Yup. I'm not a Lion's or Boys fan. I had no money on the outcome. But what's right is right. If this was a Husker game and they did that to us. Oh boy. Pitchforks and torches be ready!! :mad:

The only possible outcome out of this mess.
Sounds like a dude who’s knows all of the whining is ridiculous. And knows that they got away with a ridiculous call just 2 minutes earlier that changed the game as well.

I would also like to note that McCarthy might very well be the worst clock management coach in NFL history. Dude has been trash for 2 seasons and the talent has made up for it….for the most part.

Did not watch the game and was unaware of the ending until I just saw it on SC...and if I saw it correctly, the Lions still had two addl chances to convert...So, for the "NFL is fixed people" my questions are...

Why wouldn't the ref have swalloed his whistle on the off sides call against Dallas on one of those attempts if it was fixed, rather than run the risk of giving the Lions another chance to convert..because I guarantee you fixing the second and third 2pt conversion attempts would require enough players and coaches on both sides that you'd never get that much cooperation...

...and the Lions still had a chance after their second failed attempt to kick the PAT and get it to OT, and for some strange reason decided not to. Did the fix include the kind of script that stated the Lions were forbidden to kick the PAT? ...and could you keep all the people required to pull that off quiet?

...and if the NFL is scripted you'd most definately need the kickers on the payroll, yet they frequently get cut on Mondays for missing crucial kicks, but if they were just doing their job by missing kicls on purpose then wjy fire them on Monday?
The refs still throw flags on a lot of obvious penalties even if they go against the scripted winning team, even on winning drives. I’ve come to see there actually are more players involved than I previously thought. If you start watching the game through this lens, you can tell when a ball carrier is actually trying to score or get a first down vs. when they’re not and predict the outcome of the next play or drive. You will not be able to predict EVERY drive, but enough to realize no one should be able to do that if it’s real football.

I’m encouraged that I can say most college games are just not the same, I can’t read the drives like I can the NFL, like a book. Obviously the same with high school games, the NFL is a different game. It’s not random.

I watched the Chiefs Raiders on Christmas in Kansas City with my Chiefs fan in-laws and called the outcome of almost every drive to them a few plays in and told them when I placed a bet on the Raiders to win in the 3rd quarter. (I know, after the fact reporting) It does help if you’ve watched certain teams/players often and get to know their tendencies, especially quarterbacks. The best QBs are easiest to read because you know that when they miss, 90% of the time it’s on purpose. The worst QBs miss by A LOT when it’s on purpose because they’re not good at missing by a little bit. They also just flat out won’t throw it and just eat sacks all day, easy way to suck. (Mahomes on Christmas and the Super Bowl he lost)

How they keep players as quiet as they do (not everyone) remains the big mystery to me, I just know that they do. We simply don’t know what these players are paid under the table, threatened with, or the extent of the technology being used by the ruling class. The list of possible explanations is endless, we just haven’t found it yet.

If its scripted mccarty runs the ball.
I didn’t watch this game, so I don’t know the context of the play calling but that’s not how scripting works. It’s more complex than that otherwise it would be too obvious
Yeah, thank God we have college football where the officiating is always flawless.
Obviously humans doing any job are never flawless, but the ratio and magnitude of forked up calls in the NFL to college is not even close.

Obviously humans doing any job are never flawless, but the ratio and magnitude of forked up calls in the NFL to college is not even close.

Nah, there’s blown calls in every sport, every league, every division. MLB, NBA, B1G, Big 12, high school, you name it. Sorry that doesn’t fit your agenda. Human element as you mentioned.

ESPN rules analyst needs to correct himself too.

1) 68 did report (so no illegal touching)
2) if he reported, it’s not illegal man down field
3) rewatch the formation, 68 isn’t covered

Choose any 3 he said? How about none of the above. Just another case that those TV rules officals are made to make you believe the refs are almost always right.

The refs still throw flags on a lot of obvious penalties even if they go against the scripted winning team, even on winning drives. I’ve come to see there actually are more players involved than I previously thought. If you start watching the game through this lens, you can tell when a ball carrier is actually trying to score or get a first down vs. when they’re not and predict the outcome of the next play or drive. You will not be able to predict EVERY drive, but enough to realize no one should be able to do that if it’s real football.

I’m encouraged that I can say most college games are just not the same, I can’t read the drives like I can the NFL, like a book. Obviously the same with high school games, the NFL is a different game. It’s not random.

I watched the Chiefs Raiders on Christmas in Kansas City with my Chiefs fan in-laws and called the outcome of almost every drive to them a few plays in and told them when I placed a bet on the Raiders to win in the 3rd quarter. (I know, after the fact reporting) It does help if you’ve watched certain teams/players often and get to know their tendencies, especially quarterbacks. The best QBs are easiest to read because you know that when they miss, 90% of the time it’s on purpose. The worst QBs miss by A LOT when it’s on purpose because they’re not good at missing by a little bit. They also just flat out won’t throw it and just eat sacks all day, easy way to suck. (Mahomes on Christmas and the Super Bowl he lost)

How they keep players as quiet as they do (not everyone) remains the big mystery to me, I just know that they do. We simply don’t know what these players are paid under the table, threatened with, or the extent of the technology being used by the ruling class. The list of possible explanations is endless, we just haven’t found it yet.
You have obviously cracked the code and become an gambling millionaire, amiright?

MLFootball is showing ignorance. Folks need to learn the rules before having outrage.

"I reported to the ref therefore I can't be called offsides." It doesn't work like that.

Regardless of reporting or not, the LT was covered up by the left WR closest to the TV camera. The WR was on the side of scrimmage, making anyone else on the line of scrimmage from him to the center, ineligible to go downfield and catch a pass.

Thus the ruling on the field of illegal touching.

Did not watch the game and was unaware of the ending until I just saw it on SC...and if I saw it correctly, the Lions still had two addl chances to convert...So, for the "NFL is fixed people" my questions are...

Why wouldn't the ref have swalloed his whistle on the off sides call against Dallas on one of those attempts if it was fixed, rather than run the risk of giving the Lions another chance to convert..because I guarantee you fixing the second and third 2pt conversion attempts would require enough players and coaches on both sides that you'd never get that much cooperation...

...and the Lions still had a chance after their second failed attempt to kick the PAT and get it to OT, and for some strange reason decided not to. Did the fix include the kind of script that stated the Lions were forbidden to kick the PAT? ...and could you keep all the people required to pull that off quiet?

...and if the NFL is scripted you'd most definately need the kickers on the payroll, yet they frequently get cut on Mondays for missing crucial kicks, but if they were just doing their job by missing kicls on purpose then wjy fire them on Monday?
stop it with all the common sense.

MLFootball is showing ignorance. Folks need to learn the rules before having outrage.

"I reported to the ref therefore I can't be called offsides." It doesn't work like that.

Regardless of reporting or not, the LT was covered up by the left WR closest to the TV camera. The WR was on the side of scrimmage, making anyone else on the line of scrimmage from him to the center, ineligible to go downfield and catch a pass.

Thus the ruling on the field of illegal touching.

I think you’re incorrect
Screenshot_2023_12_30_at_11.37.44_PM.png

I think you’re incorrect
Screenshot_2023_12_30_at_11.37.44_PM.png
the WR does look off there for sure. i'm not going to waste time finding it, but it was during one of the replays with a camera shot right down the line, not this angled shot from the TV stand, and the field level down the LOS shot shots the WR on the LOS.

could very well be that the WR was on, then moved off before the snap (and after the camera went to a different shot).

the WR does look off there for sure. i'm not going to waste time finding it, but it was during one of the replays with a camera shot right down the line, not this angled shot from the TV stand, and the field level down the LOS shot shots the WR on the LOS.

could very well be that the WR was on, then moved off before the snap (and after the camera went to a different shot).
Play happened from him in same spot.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
ESPN rules analyst needs to correct himself too.

1) 68 did report (so no illegal touching)
2) if he reported, it’s not illegal man down field
3) rewatch the formation, 68 isn’t covered

Choose any 3 he said? How about none of the above. Just another case that those TV rules officals are made to make you believe the refs are almost always right.
Yeah on the replay angle I saw this morning, it looks like the WR is back about a half step, which should be enough. Last night the angle was more from the defensive side of the ball, which made it look like he was right on the line. So I’ve shifted to the camp that says the head ref just stepped on his dick and won’t man up and admit it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Time to remove this crap. Officials make over $200k per year as a part-time job.

The NFL policy manual, distributed annually around the league, states: "Please note that public criticism by players or club employees of game officials or officiating is prohibited and is subject to fines and/or suspensions."

Refs need to be put on blast by coaches and players.

You have obviously cracked the code and become a gambling millionaire, amiright?
Working on it. I live in Omaha and can only live-bet drive outcomes in Iowa. I did well on Thursday night watching the Browns game in Iowa. It definitely takes time and practice to see how they really play the game.

I think I'm with the majority here, but I am wondering about a couple of things:

It's clear that 68 has words with the referee. Why does 58 go with him?

Also, why does 70 make a beeline for the referee when running into the game?

If the referees announce a player reporting as eligible (I have heard that they announced 70...correct me if I'm wrong), what do you do as the offensive team if the ref reports that incorrectly?

I think I'm with the majority here, but I am wondering about a couple of things:

It's clear that 68 has words with the referee. Why does 58 go with him?

Also, why does 70 make a beeline for the referee when running into the game?

If the referees announce a player reporting as eligible (I have heard that they announced 70...correct me if I'm wrong), what do you do as the offensive team if the ref reports that incorrectly?
He is another point everyone is missing.the official tells the defense which lineman report as eligible. When the offense comes up the defense captain will let everyone know hey number so and so is eligible. The officials told the Dallas d 70 was eligible. If 68 releases why would anyone go with him .Detroit can bitch all they want.maybe they have a point. If the ref tells Dallas 68 is eligible doubtful he is alone in the back of the end zone.

Reactions: Landomatic
If Dallas runs the ball 3 times the controversial ending doesn’t happen.
Or if the Hutchinson trip was called correctly. Everyone is conveniently avoiding that blown call discussion. But again, MM is a horrible clock manager. He’s got some guts for sure, but there is a time to shelf the wild assness.

He is another point everyone is missing.the official tells the defense which lineman report as eligible. When the offense comes up the defense captain will let everyone know hey number so and so is eligible. The officials told the Dallas d 70 was eligible. If 68 releases why would anyone go with him .Detroit can bitch all they want.maybe they have a point. If the ref tells Dallas 68 is eligible doubtful he is alone in the back of the end zone.
Foolish reasoning. I’m watching the Baltimore game and wr was left wide open on the goaline… so you’re assumption that all eligible receivers are always covered is incorrect

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Foolish reasoning. I’m watching the Baltimore game and wr was left wide open on the goaline… so you’re assumption that all eligible receivers are always covered is incorrect
I am not talking a Fkin wr dipshit. If a OL reports I guarantee you someone is keeping an eye on him . Doesn’t mean it won’t work but he won’t just go downfield without being noticed

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT