ADVERTISEMENT

Let the rebuild begin!!

The University of Nebraska Board of Regents will vote Dec. 1 on a $1.8 million contract for Kiewit Building Group to manage construction of the estimated $34 million Phase 1, which involves needed infrastructure and mechanical work in the existing stadium.
One of the nation’s largest engineering firms, Kiewit is no stranger to University of Nebraska construction projects in both Omaha and Lincoln. The company is currently constructing the $110 million Kiewit Hall engineering building on the UNL campus, a project for which it provided the naming gift.
Plans call for half the $450 million to be raised privately, with an additional $100 million coming from athletic department revenues and $125 million from sources yet to be determined. Officials have said no university tuition or fee dollars will fund the project.
The preliminary stadium plans approved by the regents in October call for total demolition of South Stadium beginning after the 2024 football season. It would be replaced by a new multiple-level grandstand featuring a new student section and concourse where students can gather and mingle, new premium seating with lounge areas, and general seating with chair backs.

The University of Nebraska Board of Regents will vote Dec. 1 on a $1.8 million contract for Kiewit Building Group to manage construction of the estimated $34 million Phase 1, which involves needed infrastructure and mechanical work in the existing stadium.
One of the nation’s largest engineering firms, Kiewit is no stranger to University of Nebraska construction projects in both Omaha and Lincoln. The company is currently constructing the $110 million Kiewit Hall engineering building on the UNL campus, a project for which it provided the naming gift.
Plans call for half the $450 million to be raised privately, with an additional $100 million coming from athletic department revenues and $125 million from sources yet to be determined. Officials have said no university tuition or fee dollars will fund the project.
The preliminary stadium plans approved by the regents in October call for total demolition of South Stadium beginning after the 2024 football season. It would be replaced by a new multiple-level grandstand featuring a new student section and concourse where students can gather and mingle, new premium seating with lounge areas, and general seating with chair backs.
Key words. PREMIUM SEATING. That and more concession sales is why this is going to happen. It’s time though

For anyone complaining, I think there is a different way to look at it. Why are benefits where people buy food for say $100 a plate, etc. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just have no food and donate money to the charity. Yes. Same goes for auctions benefiting charity.

Big boosters probably have a different mind set. They want all the fancy that comes along with this type of thing. I just don't think it works to say, do the bare minimum for the stadium (yes we do need a stadium), and funnel everything into NIL. Sounds great in theory, but in practice not so much.

For anyone complaining, I think there is a different way to look at it. Why are benefits where people buy food for say $100 a plate, etc. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just have no food and donate money to the charity. Yes. Same goes for auctions benefiting charity.

Big boosters probably have a different mind set. They want all the fancy that comes along with this type of thing. I just don't think it works to say, do the bare minimum for the stadium (yes we do need a stadium), and funnel everything into NIL. Sounds great in theory, but in practice not so much.
Most large donors want a plaque on a wall somewhere with their name on it. Bricks and mortar are a lot easier sell than giving money to a 19 year old.

Most large donors want a plaque on a wall somewhere with their name on it. Bricks and mortar are a lot easier sell than giving money to a 19 year old.
And this is why until NIL is organized completely in house by the university I don’t see it taking off here. To my knowledge the university wants this done by 2025, Though some might feel slighted that the university wants to monopolize it.

And this is why until NIL is organized completely in house by the university I don’t see it taking off here. To my knowledge the university wants this done by 2025, Though some might feel slighted that the university wants to monopolize it.
Law prohibits NIL from being organized in house. What they did was hire the University’s best fund raiser Davison to run the 1890 NIL operation. That was not an accident. I’m quite sure that Trev, Rhule and Davison attend the same social functions😉

Law prohibits NIL from being organized in house. What they did was hire the University’s best fund raiser Davison to run the 1890 NIL operation. That was not an accident. I’m quite sure that Trev, Rhule and Davison attend the same social functions😉
What’s Johnathan Bateman role? Or is that just a meaningless title?

Don’t know. Davison is tight with the boosters of substance. I have no doubt that IF Rhule says we gotta have this guy, that 1890 will find the money.
What booster would be stupid enough to give Matt D more money after he already hit them up to fund the biggest fraud in Husker history - Scott Frost. It is insane that he is in charge of our NIL
The guy who convinced people to invest in Scott Frost is now in charge of going back to those same investors to ask for more money

What booster would be stupid enough to give Matt D more money after he already hit them up to fund the biggest fraud in Husker history - Scott Frost. It is insane that he is in charge of our NIL
The guy who convinced people to invest in Scott Frost is now in charge of going back to those same investors to ask for more money
No booster funded Scott Frost. Tom etal were all in on Frost. It was the most logical hire.

let-him-go-mr-miyagi.gif

No booster funded Scott Frost. Tom etal were all in on Frost. It was the most logical hire.
Buyout to clear the way for Frost
Recruiting trips for Frost
Booster sponsored events for Frost
Etc etc

Matt Davison sold Scott Frost financially and then sold the boosters that Frost should return for year 4 and then again in year 5. Why anyone would ever trust that guy with their funds is beyond comprehension

Buyout to clear the way for Frost
Recruiting trips for Frost
Booster sponsored events for Frost
Etc etc

Matt Davison sold Scott Frost financially and then sold the boosters that Frost should return for year 4 and then again in year 5. Why anyone would ever trust that guy with their funds is beyond comprehension
I don’t believe Davison had that much influence on Frost’s retention. Osborne did though. Boosters knew exactly where Tom stood and so did Trev after he was hired. Get over it. Davison no doubt was a Frost promoter but he isn’t why we hired or retained him.

With all the plans to demo south stadium, have there been any plans to remove or re-place the Husker donation brick boulevard that led from the old locker room to the field?

If not, I may as well digout my grandparents' brick and keep it for myself.

Edit: IIRC it's all cemented in, so nevermind.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
You’re clueless on the topic. Hush
Not. One of my sons worked for Kiewit. I’m not complaining about Kiewit’s management. I would much rather have them than anybody else but when you get that big there are tremendous inefficiencies. It’s a necessary evil I guess with this large of a project.

Last edited:
Spend half a billion to reduce stadium capacity by 15,000? Just dumb. Conservatives and their fiscal responsibility I guess...
Watch. It’s going to increase revenue from that area. Again. Key words are PREMIUM SEATING and CONCESSIONS. There will be more luxury boxes and more high profit concession offerings. Another facet they offered was a gathering area for “students”. What do you want to bet that isn’t going to be used for outside revenue producing events?

This isn’t conservative versus liberal spending. This is about a business plan for revenue generation and longer term customer satisfaction. You can agree or disagree with the plan but they’re thinking big.

I highly doubt. I worked for them for 15 years and your statement is false. Good try
. What do you doubt? He talked all the time about all the engineers sitting around trying to look busy between projects and waste. A good friend of mine was a large electrical contractor who did work at times for Kiewit. Yeah it was a competitive bid process but they always built in extra man hours and didn’t exactly screw down suppliers on materials costs.

I saved a third on a million dollar build 17 years ago by being my own general and it didn’t take much of my time. You can’t do that on a project this size. It takes a company like Kiewit.

. What do you doubt? He talked all the time about all the engineers sitting around trying to look busy between projects and waste. A good friend of mine was a large electrical contractor who did work at times for Kiewit. Yeah it was a competitive bid process but they always built in extra man hours and didn’t exactly screw down suppliers on materials costs.

I saved a third on a million dollar build 17 years ago by being my own general and it didn’t take much of my time. You can’t do that on a project this size. It takes a company like Kiewit.
You said they were inefficient which is a hilarious statement as they are probably the most efficient contractor in North America. They take on the most complex projects and still finish most of the time on time if not early because of the bonus related to it. Every company has downtime and waste but Kiewit weeds that out and also has probably the best training in the contracting world. Like i said, they are one of the best contractors for this project. I’m sorry, but you don’t have insider knowledge on this and I’d be happy to debate you more on anything related to large scale construction projects.

With all the plans to demo south stadium, have there been any plans to remove or re-place the Husker donation brick boulevard that led from the old locker room to the field?

If not, I may as well digout my grandparents' brick and keep it for myself.

Edit: IIRC it's all cemented in, so nevermind.
Good question. I brought this up on here awhile back. Hopefully they can do something. Also should label and cut bench seating and allow season ticket holders the option to purchase their planks

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
You said they were inefficient which is a hilarious statement as they are probably the most efficient contractor in North America. They take on the most complex projects and still finish most of the time on time if not early because of the bonus related to it. Every company has downtime and waste but Kiewit weeds that out and also has probably the best training in the contracting world. Like i said, they are one of the best contractors for this project. I’m sorry, but you don’t have insider knowledge on this and I’d be happy to debate you more on anything related to large scale construction projects.
That’s why I said a contractor like Kiewit was necessary for this large of a project and why I said I preferred them over anybody else. They might be the most efficient but general contractors that large are not very efficient. Way too many meetings, duplication and wasted man hours.

I don’t believe Davison had that much influence on Frost’s retention. Osborne did though. Boosters knew exactly where Tom stood and so did Trev after he was hired. Get over it. Davison no doubt was a Frost promoter but he isn’t why we hired or retained him.
I agree Dingle. I dont get the vitriol for Davison. He sucks because he stood up for his good friend? You wouldnt? Especially considering that the vast majority wanted Frost (me included).
Or is it that he has cashed in on his being a Husker? You might be right as there has never been a former player do that.
As far as I can see Davison is a homegrown husker that loves the university. Shame on him I guess?

Reactions: scarletred
That’s why I said a contractor like Kiewit was necessary for this large of a project and why I said I preferred them over anybody else. They might be the most efficient but general contractors that large are not very efficient. Way too many meetings, duplication and wasted man hours.
Just shows how little you know about contracting. Are there a few too many meetings, at times, but a lot of them are necessary to function and also are required by the client. Just because you did a home project for cheaper doesn’t mean you understand large scale contracting.

Key words. PREMIUM SEATING. That and more concession sales is why this is going to happen. It’s time though
Those premium seats will go quickly. A lot of Husker fans love paying the high prices for those seats so that they leave their seat and spend most of the game in the climate controlled concession area. It's a thing now.

Spend half a billion to reduce stadium capacity by 15,000? Just dumb. Conservatives and their fiscal responsibility I guess...
This one isn't political. I think it's good economics. Reducing stadium capacity decreases supply and that's a good thing. It's a big long discussion, but I'll just say that Nebraska doesn't sell out a lot of games anymore without the help of a certain local business. So the supply (# of seats) has been too high. Demand for tickets in Nebraska is already unbelievably high given the losing culture of the team and the fact that it's no longer just a choice between (1) going to the game or (2) listen on the radio. The demand may not get much higher. So reducing the number of seats will make the stadium experience better and maybe make it a big deal to have Husker tickets again. Fewer empty seats after half time.

Reactions: BleedRed78
And a lot of fans wanted Frost including myself. Yes, I made a big mistake wanting him but that's in the past so we move on.
95% of the fan base wanted SF to be the head coach, we all fell hard believing he was going to be our savior and bring us back to prosperity..

SF biggest faults where his arrogance and lack of knowing how important special teams were crustal in winning football games..

I agree Dingle. I dont get the vitriol for Davison. He sucks because he stood up for his good friend? You wouldnt? Especially considering that the vast majority wanted Frost (me included).
Or is it that he has cashed in on his being a Husker? You might be right as there has never been a former player do that.
As far as I can see Davison is a homegrown husker that loves the university. Shame on him I guess?
I think it comes from the rumors of Davidson hanging out with Frost while Frost was enjoying his extra-curricular activities.

The ship was heading for the rocks and instead of trying to steer the ship right, Frost left the wheel to party & Davidson joined right in. (Per the rumors, no idea if actually true).

95% of the fan base wanted SF to be the head coach, we all fell hard believing he was going to be our savior and bring us back to prosperity..

SF biggest faults where his arrogance and lack of knowing how important special teams were crustal in winning football games..
The problem wasn’t hiring Frost. It was the demagogue like worship that followed that prohibited a large swath of the fan base from accepting the fact that he was a disaster. He should have been evaluated under the same lens as Riley and been out on his ass after year 3. Aside from the historic losing, his off the field failures were also well known and instead of putting the program first - Osborne, Trev, Davison etc etc decided to try to protect Frost at all costs even if it meant the demise of the program

The problem wasn’t hiring Frost. It was the demagogue like worship that followed that prohibited a large swath of the fan base from accepting the fact that he was a disaster. He should have been evaluated under the same lens as Riley and been out on his ass after year 3. Aside from the historic losing, his off the field failures were also well known and instead of putting the program first - Osborne, Trev, Davison etc etc decided to try to protect Frost at all costs even if it meant the demise of the program
Demagogue like worship seems a bit much. Maybe its just simply wanting something to work so badly that you lose touch with reality.
I know I wanted it to work. I also knew when it was time to cut the cord.
I know this, I will never bash Frost or Davison for being human beings. If you want to discuss Frosts coaching positives and negatives thats a different story.

Reactions: dinglefritz
He’s in charge of our largest NIL collective and has done f*ck all in that post

If Nebraska Football is big business (it is) maybe we should hire people at the most important positions who have proven success in business

Not meatheads (Davidson) or haircuts (trev) whose only qualifications are having played football here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT