ADVERTISEMENT

Lateral passes...why don't we do more of them?

BigRedBeliever

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 24, 2004
Dallas, Texas
When I played many teams were using the lateral to get bonus yardage. Specifically when a receiver caught a ball and the defenders were closing in, one of his buddies was trailing behind and he lateraled it to him for nice yardage.
Our option game does that well plus we can add several laterals to the playbook. I'm excited about this aspect of our offense.

When I played many teams were using the lateral to get bonus yardage. Specifically when a receiver caught a ball and the defenders were closing in, one of his buddies was trailing behind and he lateraled it to him for nice yardage.
Our option game does that well plus we can add several laterals to the playbook. I'm excited about this aspect of our offense.
Frost is finally putting in more option-based rushing attacks. He is learning. The horizontal passing bull shit isn't all that effective anymore since defenses have coached up corners how to avoid the block and tackle low.

A good rushing attack will always be more effective than any horizontal passing plays.

His lateral pass is a good play for once or twice per game. Timing is everything as well as getting the ball out quickly.

Reactions: poundth3rock
prove you can perform the fundamentals first against top 20 teams. then add some specials for added spice when necessary like scoring late in a half

Reactions: huskerfan66
People always remember when it works but somehow manage to forget the tines it doesn't. Remember the diamond formation? That had a couple good runs and became the darling go-to set only to rarely be seen again.

People always remember when it works but somehow manage to forget the tines it doesn't. Remember the diamond formation? That had a couple good runs and became the darling go-to set only to rarely be seen again.
I absolutely love the diamond formation...

Reactions: woodman79
You want a team that notoriously shoots itself in the foot with mind-boggling turnovers to implement a strategy of high-risk downfield laterals?

I've always thought it would be interesting to run a hook-and-lateral very early in the game, when nobody is expecting it. But even if executed to perfection, it might work once or twice per season. It's not a play that can become a staple of your offense.

Yea, this is something to pull out a few times a season or when needing a late game big play. I see too many possibilities for disiaster for it to become something done regularly.

Yeah I don't understand why teams don't do this more. Especially on a turnover when you have a guy right by you who's more athletic than you, pitch it to him and go block for him.

Reactions: BigRedBeliever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT