ADVERTISEMENT

Kolarevic no longer a nickel

No, it's similar to how Garett Nelson was always blamed because he's the only guy who was ever close to the ball. Most of the time when Nelson was blamed, it was an interior lineman or linebacker's fault for not doing their assignment correctly. It's the same thing with Gifford. Gifford has to engage 1 or multiple blockers while being the only guy on the edge. It's not an easy job, especially when the other guys are lazy or doing God knows what and not getting over there to help him.

Sorry man I know what I'm watching.

Has nothing to do with his assignment beyond he shouldn't be in there. Which I attribute to coaching.

I wish we would just play a guy like Kolarevich there in base and a guy like Brown in Nickel. Finding a guy like JoJo that can do both is very rare.
This reminds me of Bo Pelini's defense.. I forget who it was, but we lost our talented nickelback and we started getting gashed by Wisconsin in the run game. Was it Ciante Evens that had a hard time, I forget. But it seems like a similar situation to what has happened this year.

Bo made the same choice as Chins, to play Cover 2 zone.. as we weren't good enough to play man, and so the run defense got exposed.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I can't believe they even put him there to begin with. He's way to slow to try and fill JoJo's shoes.
The staff putting him there tells you what they think of their DBs. That and the fact that they brought in like 20 transfers in the defensive backfield.

No, it's similar to how Garett Nelson was always blamed because he's the only guy who was ever close to the ball. Most of the time when Nelson was blamed, it was an interior lineman or linebacker's fault for not doing their assignment correctly. It's the same thing with Gifford. Gifford has to engage 1 or multiple blockers while being the only guy on the edge. It's not an easy job, especially when the other guys are lazy or doing God knows what and not getting over there to help him.
Reminds me of big guys defending the hoop in basketball getting blamed after they have to leave their man to stop a guard driving to the basket. When their man scores on a put back or off a dump off pass, the big guy gets blamed instead of the jackass perimeter defender who got blown by.

Sorry man I know what I'm watching.

Has nothing to do with his assignment beyond he shouldn't be in there. Which I attribute to coaching.
There is no doubt that Chinander's scheme puts guys in a no win situation at times. I've listened to Carriker say that the defensive combinations between the front and the back end made no sense. I think his point was that when you have NFL caliber talent they can cover up the scheme flaws to some degree (JoJo, CTB etc) but when you have average guys other teams can exploit it. I'm curious to see what Busch does differently. Some of the alignments I saw at the snap against OU were just ludicrous.

Reminds me of big guys defending the hoop in basketball getting blamed after they have to leave their man to stop a guard driving to the basket. When their man scores on a put back or off a dump off pass, the big guy gets blamed instead of the jackass perimeter defender who got blown by.
I think there's been a lot of that. I don't understand what Chinander's calls and the responsibilities were supposed to be to get too critical of the players. Yeah you can see a missed tackle but you don't know if he missed the tackle because he was out of position and scrambling to cover somebody else's ass. I'm hoping that Busch can insert some logical alignments and calls in the week and a half he's had. NORMALLY we've gotten all kinds of breakdowns from some former blackshirts on who was supposed to be doing what but I haven't read much of that with Chinander's D I believe in part because some of those guys were scratching their head asking WTH is he trying to do with his scheme. Foreman and Moore were always good on those things. Maybe they've broken things down sometime but I sure haven't heard it.

Reactions: Dean Pope
NORMALLY we've gotten all kinds of breakdowns from some former blackshirts on who was supposed to be doing what but I haven't read much of that with Chinander's D I believe in part because some of those guys were scratching their head asking WTH is he trying to do with his scheme. Foreman and Moore were always good on those things. Maybe they've broken things down sometime but I sure haven't heard it.
i can paraphrase at least half a dozen of those former blackshirts (and former offensive players) that have commented: Chins is a friggin’ idiot.

i can paraphrase at least half a dozen of those former blackshirts (and former offensive players) that have commented: Chins is a friggin’ idiot.
It did seem to be the consensus. I believe we didn’t hear much of that earlier because of who the head coach was.

I would love to sit in a video room with some of those guys for a couple of hours with adult beverages just to listen while they broke down our game video from our first few games.

This reminds me of Bo Pelini's defense.. I forget who it was, but we lost our talented nickelback and we started getting gashed by Wisconsin in the run game. Was it Ciante Evens that had a hard time, I forget. But it seems like a similar situation to what has happened this year.
Dejon Gomes.

He was our Peso inside of Amukamara and Dennard.

Those three were REALLY good.

You did not address his bad tackling. He has been in position to make some key tackles and the ball carrier slips though his arms.
Yeah, just like the entire rest of the team. That's why I didn't feel the need to address it.

I think there's been a lot of that. I don't understand what Chinander's calls and the responsibilities were supposed to be to get too critical of the players.
I've heard experts discuss NFL schemes and basically say that they aren't sure what the assignments are, who to blame, etc. But it's safe to say that whatever the scheme, it was executed poorly and that goes back on the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT