ADVERTISEMENT

Just for fun..predict the depth chart/starters

The bottom line is that Frost will name as the starter who he thinks the best QB is. And that does not make him a stupid coach. That is just absurd nonsense. What WOULD be stupid is to start the less talented guy just to keep him from transferring. Now is Gebbia less talented than AMart? Not my call. That is Frost's call. My very limited observation is that AMart has more upside. But I don't know shit

I read his comment to say, not to name Martinez the starter before the fall term. That way Gebbia still returns because he would believe the competition would go into fall camp. If Frost named Martinez the starter in July, most of the grad transfers would be gone, and Gebbia could bolt to a Juco for the fall, then go to a D1 next year and have 3 years to play.

It has nothing to do with playing the less talented player to keep him from transferring. It would be about keeping the QB room intact for 2018.

I read his comment to say, not to name Martinez the starter before the fall term. That way Gebbia still returns because he would believe the competition would go into fall camp. If Frost named Martinez the starter in July, most of the grad transfers would be gone, and Gebbia could bolt to a Juco for the fall, then go to a D1 next year and have 3 years to play.

It has nothing to do with playing the less talented player to keep him from transferring. It would be about keeping the QB room intact for 2018.
I guess I read his post differently. Dingle said that if Frost names Martinez the starter "before the first game" then he is being a stupid coach. So... sorry... no mention of July here. It is abject nonsense to say that Frost is being stupid if he names Martinez the starter before the first game. According to that statement if Frost names Martinez the starter in the last week of Fall practice right before the first game he is being stupid. Now maybe what Dingle meant was sometime much earlier, as per your interpretation of his post. But I was responding to what he actually said: "before the first game". And keep in mind my original post said nothing about a time frame. All I said was my guess is Martinez will be our eventual starter.

we have 3 QBs that have never taken a D1 snap all on the same learning curve with regards to the a new offense. If the competition is close I think you play the QB that, with a year of game experience, gives you the best chance to win in 2019. That QB may be Gebbia, Martinez or Bunch.

We have a true freshman, a redshirt freshman, and an underclassman in Bunch ... my hope is that our 2019 starting QB is a returning starter. Vedral is a bit of a wild card.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I guess I read his post differently. Dingle said that if Frost names Martinez the starter "before the first game" then he is being a stupid coach. So... sorry... no mention of July here. It is abject nonsense to say that Frost is being stupid if he names Martinez the starter before the first game. According to that statement if Frost names Martinez the starter in the last week of Fall practice right before the first game he is being stupid. Now maybe what Dingle meant was sometime much earlier, as per your interpretation of his post. But I was responding to what he actually said: "before the first game". And keep in mind my original post said nothing about a time frame. All I said was my guess is Martinez will be our eventual starter.

July was part of my explanation not Dingle's. No one, in Gebbia's shoes, transfers after the fall semester starts, it kills a year. Getting him to start school here is the key, if he is not named starter. That is my interpretation of the comment Dingle made. I would agree that if the goal was to ensure Gebbia was here in the fall, not naming a starter until after fall camp would be smarter than naming one anytime before the start of the fall semester.

July was part of my explanation not Dingle's. No one, in Gebbia's shoes, transfers after the fall semester starts, it kills a year. Getting him to start school here is the key, if he is not named starter. That is my interpretation of the comment Dingle made. I would agree that if the goal was to ensure Gebbia was here in the fall, not naming a starter until after fall camp would be smarter than naming one anytime before the start of the fall semester.
I agree completely. And if that is what Dingle meant I agree with him.

For what it’s worth. Gebbia was quoted that this is his home now and he loves it here..

I don’t think the staff makes a decision on the starting QB till the week of the first game...

I am probably the odd duck here but I think this will go back and forth all through next season. Injuries and splitting time could be a norm. Notice I said could be. I personally do not have a problem with a two QB system, maybe Frost does, its obviously his call.

Reactions: koolhusker
I don't think a starter will be named before Fall camp, and quite likely not until a week or so before the first game. I don't know if Bunch is truly in the mix to start. For Martinez and Gebbia, there has to be an urgency to raise the level of their game.
Frost has said for the QB psn in his offense, the following things are critical:
1. the ability to make the right decision quickly
2. the ability to get yards when they are there for the taking
3. efficiency in getting the ball to the skill level players

So how do AMart and Gebbia stack up?
1. Toss up, perhaps not enough information. Could be the deciding factor.
2. Amart, although TGs abilities are sufficient.
3. Gebbia has a year of playing in a college system, would say he is ahead in this aspect.

I was very much on the Gebbia bandwagon, but Martinez showed something in the Spring Game. At the end of the day, if this thing turns out to be a tossup, does the tie go to the kid with a little more college level experience, or to the kid who has more natural athleticism?

Tagge and Van Bronson, Eric and Bobby, we are much better off in this situation than having only one hope. Who knows how it will play out. Brook and Tommy both were crucial contributors.

I don't think a starter will be named before Fall camp, and quite likely not until a week or so before the first game. I don't know if Bunch is truly in the mix to start. For Martinez and Gebbia, there has to be an urgency to raise the level of their game.
Frost has said for the QB psn in his offense, the following things are critical:
1. the ability to make the right decision quickly
2. the ability to get yards when they are there for the taking
3. efficiency in getting the ball to the skill level players

So how do AMart and Gebbia stack up?
1. Toss up, perhaps not enough information. Could be the deciding factor.
2. Amart, although TGs abilities are sufficient.
3. Gebbia has a year of playing in a college system, would say he is ahead in this aspect.

I was very much on the Gebbia bandwagon, but Martinez showed something in the Spring Game. At the end of the day, if this thing turns out to be a tossup, does the tie go to the kid with a little more college level experience, or to the kid who has more natural athleticism?

1. These are the qualities that every coach is looking for and more.
2. You are making comparisons based on one scrimmage - Spring Game
3. There is a lot more data that will go into this than you can even imagine. For instance, did either of QB's change the play at the LOS based on the D?

Fall semester doesn't start I don't believe until either a few days before the first game or just after it. I should have said "before school starts AND the first game" to be more clear. I think he can practice up until school starts and not lose a year of elgibility.

It is hard to have a tie where one guy is the better passer and one guy is the better rusher, then have the tiebreaker be the rushing ability.

I will always look back to Tommy Armstrong and defenses just loaded the box with 8 and made Tommy beat them with his arm. He was a hell of a runner, and everyone said, "if only he could throw". Then I look at last year and everyone said, "if only we had a running QB". We always want what we don't have.

Milton threw for more than 4,000 yards, yes his legs helped in making that happen, but I think Frost's offense needs a passer who can run more than a runner that can pass.
I'm not convinced at all that Gebbia is the better passer. Martinez looked far more comfortable running this offense than Gebbia was and he was better at both passing and running compared to Gebbia during the spring game.

I'm not convinced at all that Gebbia is the better passer. Martinez looked far more comfortable running this offense than Gebbia was and he was better at both passing and running compared to Gebbia during the spring game.

Fully agree. Gebbia throws a good ball but so does Martinez and he's way, wayyyyy faster than Gebbia will ever be.

The Gebbia fans keep saying "he's fast enough so it doesn't matter"......I don't think so. A real-deal dual threat qb forces the defense to give somewhere. You can bet the ranch that SF knows that very well indeed.

Barring injury Martinez is the man.

Fall semester doesn't start I don't believe until either a few days before the first game or just after it. I should have said "before school starts AND the first game" to be more clear. I think he can practice up until school starts and not lose a year of elgibility.
Then we are in agreement. I think he names one of them as the starter sometime in that time frame you mention. My guess is though that who the starter will be will become clearer to both quarterbacks, regardless of what is or is not announced, based on who is getting the most reps with the ones during that last week of practice.

But who knows? It might be a toss up situation and both will play.

From the little I’ve seen I think the playbook will have to be thinned more for Gebbia than for Martinez and/or Bunch

You can run inside and outside zone reads and if the defense makes an aggregious error Gebbia can make those runs. But beyond that I think the QB run game including the option is off the table. Personally I think Frost would eventually like to have a QB power run game as an option as well with the TEs and RB being lead blockers for the QB- we ran a lot of that when Frost was the QB here. You aren’t going to have that option with Gebbia

I think Martinez and Bunch can make the same throws as Gebbia. I do not have a good sense for the relative accuracy of those throws however.

I have no clue on decision making ability which is always a huge wild card

In short I think Gebbia can scramble and occasionally hurt a defense but I do not believe he is a runner. It is still possible that at this time Gebbia will be the more effective QB - but we aren’t going to have the full complement of the QB run game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinsRRUs
It's amazing the most are anointing Martinez the starter, slow down he might but then again gebbia might everyone is talking about dropped snaps I think it was more bad center snaps most were low. Like jlb321 said none of them have played in a game heck Martinez hasn't seen live action for over 16 months. How many players have looked great in the spring game but don't do much during the season. I'm still sticking with gebbia as the starter and will be the first to admit i was wrong. Hell I don't care who, main thing is we start caring and playing hard and Winning again!!!!

It's amazing the most are anointing Martinez the starter, slow down he might but then again gebbia might everyone is talking about dropped snaps I think it was more bad center snaps most were low. Like jlb321 said none of them have played in a game heck Martinez hasn't seen live action for over 16 months. How many players have looked great in the spring game but don't do much during the season. I'm still sticking with gebbia as the starter and will be the first to admit i was wrong. Hell I don't care who, main thing is we start caring and playing hard and Winning again!!!!

Martinez was the best player in that spring game from start to finish. When was the last time we had a player look good all around through the entire game? I get your point but it’s not like the kid had a couple of good plays and that was it. That game was the Martinez show..

Damion Daniels and Deontre are going to play a lot. Our D line is going to be pretty deep, and that is a good thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT