ADVERTISEMENT

Just a thought here...

Wyldcard

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2018
I was thinking about this...The football program is not devoid of talent, just the opposite at all levels. As we all know what the Riley era accomplished, we still had great talent. It's easy to say that a team has no talent when they are playing and losing badly even to teams that as bad as the team is are supposed to beat down. It's all about coaching and being able to coach up the players. One shining example, the players that Callahan recruited to DONU never made an impact say on the Defensive side of the ball under his watch. Example At the end of the Callahan era 07' We had his recruits playing quite a bit, now granted we had Bo Ruud, Corey McKeon and guys like Suh who was only a sophomore starting. Suh and others that were very highly recruited and played, you never heard very much of them at all. Now enter the Pelini's, all in the coaching change all of the sudden the Defense for example by the end of 2008 were light years ahead of where they were the previous year. Same players and recruited talent, different results and we all know about 2009-10. By the end of Pelini's regime, there was talent, but he refused to recruit and stagnated the water as to say and then came the train wreck that was Reilly. Rilley and co could recruit their asses off but not coach. The team we see on the field this year, will be light years ahead of the previous regime and even Pelini's last 3 years in year 1. This coaching staff as a whole and not just a part of the staff coaches up players. I actually think we will surprise huge this year. It all starts mentally.

Reactions: oldjar07
I was thinking about this...The football program is not devoid of talent, just the opposite at all levels. As we all know what the Riley era accomplished, we still had great talent. It's easy to say that a team has no talent when they are playing and losing badly even to teams that as bad as the team is are supposed to beat down. It's all about coaching and being able to coach up the players. One shining example, the players that Callahan recruited to DONU never made an impact say on the Defensive side of the ball under his watch. Example At the end of the Callahan era 07' We had his recruits playing quite a bit, now granted we had Bo Ruud, Corey McKeon and guys like Suh who was only a sophomore starting. Suh and others that were very highly recruited and played, you never heard very much of them at all. Now enter the Pelini's, all in the coaching change all of the sudden the Defense for example by the end of 2008 were light years ahead of where they were the previous year. Same players and recruited talent, different results and we all know about 2009-10. By the end of Pelini's regime, there was talent, but he refused to recruit and stagnated the water as to say and then came the train wreck that was Reilly. Rilley and co could recruit their asses off but not coach. The team we see on the field this year, will be light years ahead of the previous regime and even Pelini's last 3 years in year 1. This coaching staff as a whole and not just a part of the staff coaches up players. I actually think we will surprise huge this year. It all starts mentally.

That was bad.

Interesting.

You say Pelini refused to recruit and that Riley & co recruited their a$$e$ off and yet, they're recruiting classes were statistically identical.

It's as if Riley supporters give Riley credit simply because he "liked" recruiting and dock Bo because he didn't. And even though results were equivalent, Riley supporters "think" Riley was a better recruiter even though the facts don't back em up. Also it seems as if Riley supporters think that if Bo actually liked recruiting his results would have been better. And we'll, the Riley supporters ascribe recruiting superiority to Riley simply because they liked him and despised BO.

I supposed none of you guys ever had jobs with certain aspects of it you didn't like? But you did it anyway because it was part of - "the job". And if your lucky, your boss based your review solely on your results and not on if you liked all aspects of your job or his opinion of you personally.

Anyway, whether you like BO or not, whether you like Riley or not, can we stick to the facts and the fact is, Mike & Bo's recruiting we're statistically identical.

Interesting.

You say Pelini refused to recruit and that Riley & co recruited their a$$e$ off and yet, they're recruiting classes were statistically identical.

It's as if Riley supporters give Riley credit simply because he "liked" recruiting and dock Bo because he didn't. And even though results were equivalent, Riley supporters "think" Riley was a better recruiter even though the facts don't back em up. Also it seems as if Riley supporters think that if Bo actually liked recruiting his results would have been better. And we'll, the Riley supporters ascribe recruiting superiority to Riley simply because they liked him and despised BO.

I supposed none of you guys ever had jobs with certain aspects of it you didn't like? But you did it anyway because it was part of - "the job". And if your lucky, your boss based your review solely on your results and not on if you liked all aspects of your job or his opinion of you personally.

Anyway, whether you like BO or not, whether you like Riley or not, can we stick to the facts and the fact is, Mike & Bo's recruiting we're statistically identical.

What sources are you using that lead you to believe that Mike & Bo's recruiting classes were statistically identical? Also, do you mean that they were identical in the number of signees, or the quality, or what? Which years are you comparing?

Are you that Cam82huskers guy, in drag?

No and his classes were much worse than their ranking. Many kids didn't make campus, other highly ranked bailed on the program. If you were to re rank after what we know now, you would down grade Bo.

Maybe we will do the same with smiling Mike also.

Reactions: SC_'sker
No and his classes were much worse than their ranking. Many kids didn't make campus, other highly ranked bailed on the program. If you were to re rank after what we know now, you would down grade Bo.

Maybe we will do the same with smiling Mike also.

That 2011 class comes to mind. Fantastic class, was ranked 15th in the nation. By far Bo’s best, but a significant number of those recruits never made it to campus or transferred out.

What sources are you using that lead you to believe that Mike & Bo's recruiting classes were statistically identical? Also, do you mean that they were identical in the number of signees, or the quality, or what? Which years are you comparing?
Rivals Recruiting Rankings.

Interesting.

Man you saved me writing. You nailed it. Riley's results were not significantly better than Bo's. I think there is a stereotype out there that Bo was terrible and Riley was great. Facts don't support it. They were only slightly better. Riley had a better smoke and mirrors recruiting program going on and eventually everyone saw through it making it tough to close. Bo hated recruiting because he hated the drama associated with the having to stroke a kids ego on twitter for 6 months. SF seems to do well at both.

Riley put a ton more effort into recruiting and was way more organized than the staff prior to him, but the results weren't tremendously better though. I seem to remember seeing someone post that Rileys recruits had more power 5 offers per player than what Pelini's did. That being said, the amount of effort the current staff put in after they were hired was on a different level. They completely turned over the current targets and basically did a whole years recruiting in about 2 months.

Riley put a ton more effort into recruiting and was way more organized than the staff prior to him, but the results weren't tremendously better though. I seem to remember seeing someone post that Rileys recruits had more power 5 offers per player than what Pelini's did. That being said, the amount of effort the current staff put in after they were hired was on a different level. They completely turned over the current targets and basically did a whole years recruiting in about 2 months.
Yeah what Frost & Co did in such a short time span was pretty amazing. So anyway, although this has been done many times in the past, I just went through the numbers and here's a summary. I looked at 4 recruiting criterion followed by W/L totals.

National Ranking/Star Ranking/#Recruits/Tot Rival Pts=Win-Loss Record

BP
2007-13/3.33/27/1734=Transition Year In
2008-30/2.96/28/1159=9-4
2009-28/3.25/20/1233=10-4
2010-22/3.09/22/1407=10-4
2011-15/3.45/20/1698=9-4
2012-25/3.35/17/1257=10-4
2013-17/3/16/25/1921=9-4
2014-Transition Year Out =9-4
------------------------------------
BP Average for 7 years
21.43/3.23/22.7/1487=9.4-4/yr=70.2 Winning %
MR
2014-32/2.80/25/1585=Transition Year In
2015-31/3.14/21/1595=6-7=.461
2016-24/3.14/21/1771=9-4=.692
2017-20/3.30/20/1863=4-8=.300
-----------------------------------
MR Average for 4 years
26.75/3.1/22/1703=6.3-6.3=.500 Winning %

Summary
Avg Class Rank - BP=22 - MR=27
Avg Star Rank - BP=3.23 - MR=3.1
Avg Recruits Taken - BP 23 - MR 22
Avg Rivals Points Ranking - BP 1487 - MR 1703

Bo's classes had a National Ranking about 5 slots ahead of Mike. Mike was pulling in higher Rivals Point totals. Bo was hurt by only taking 17 kids in 2012 and rivals points based on highest 20 rated recruits.

Personally, I don't really care about recruiting. It's what happens on the field during the season that matters to me. Bo was winning at a 70% clip. Mike at 50%.

Stats can be twisted to prove just about anything. All this stuff is secondary to season Win/Loss totals.

Looking forward to the upcoming season with our new staff and an invigorated fan base.

Yeah what Frost & Co did in such a short time span was pretty amazing. So anyway, although this has been done many times in the past, I just went through the numbers and here's a summary. I looked at 4 recruiting criterion followed by W/L totals.

National Ranking/Star Ranking/#Recruits/Tot Rival Pts=Win-Loss Record

BP
2007-13/3.33/27/1734=Transition Year In
2008-30/2.96/28/1159=9-4
2009-28/3.25/20/1233=10-4
2010-22/3.09/22/1407=10-4
2011-15/3.45/20/1698=9-4
2012-25/3.35/17/1257=10-4
2013-17/3/16/25/1921=9-4
2014-Transition Year Out =9-4
BP Average for 7 years
21.43/3.23/22.7/1487=9.4-4/yr=70.2 Winning %
MR
2014-32/2.80/25/1585=Transition Year In
2015-31/3.14/21/1595=6-7=.461
2016-24/3.14/21/1771=9-4=.692
2017-20/3.30/20/1863=4-8=.300
MR Average for 4 years
26.75/3.1/22/1703=6.3-6.3=.500 Winning %

Summary
Avg Class Rank - BP=22 - MR=27
Avg Star Rank - BP=3.23 - MR=3.1
Avg Recruits Taken - BP 23 - MR 22
Avg Rivals Points Ranking - BP 1487 - MR 1703

Bo's classes had a National Ranking about 5 slots ahead of Mike. Mike was pulling in higher Rivals Point totals. Bo was hurt by only taking 17 kids in 2012 and rivals points based on highest 20 rated recruits.

Personally, I don't really care about recruiting. It's what happens on the field during the season that matters to me. Bo was winning at a 70% clip. Mike at 50%.

Stats can be twisted to prove just about anything. All this stuff is secondary to season Win/Loss totals.

Looking forward to the upcoming season with our new staff and an invigorated fan base.

I agree, the results on the field are what matters. That being said, you need to recruit well to get those desirable results.

Riley should have never been hired at NU. Bo deserved a shot but ultimately was a terrible failure that damaged the brand and program even more than Riley and his crappy record.

Reactions: davecisar
I agree, the results on the field are what matters. That being said, you need to recruit well to get those desirable results.

Riley should have never been hired at NU. Bo deserved a shot but ultimately was a terrible failure that damaged the brand and program even more than Riley and his crappy record.

Nebraska can recruit well enough to be the man to beat in the west on a consistent basis. Bo just wasnt good enough to out class someone in a chess match and Riley would probably fail at Alabama..

“Riley and co could recruit their asses off”- cue gif of Scott Frost (and all of us) laughing our asses off

it was discussed on the Ticket this morning. Fans and media bought off on the "star" visits when it was a well known marketing ploy to try and get all the big names in knowing they didn't have a chance of signing them. But their goal was trying to build an impression and can't totally blame them. A lot of wasted effort and wasted official visits. They said the fans loved it, the media loved it, the AD loved it. Inside bickering among some of the coaches regarding the effectiveness of it. It was rumored (from another show a while back) a couple of assistants questioned the character background they were offering on a couple of them. Not enough vetting. Again.....all rumored. Its easy to see some of this after the fact.

The point that my original post was making, is that with this coaching change brings an attitude and work ethic which I think most of these players have wanted the whole time. The development isn't gonna come on one side of the ball like when Pelini took over almost immediately, but team wide as this whole coaching staff can coach up the entire team not just parts of it.. If Frost's Offense is as easy to learn as he stated which I believe, the O is gonna be a real biotch for any D we face this year as we will actually have the element of surprise for once even though everyone saw what UCF did last year. I'm predicting in year 1 at the end of the season before the bowl game that we will go 11-2 including a loss in the BIG Championship game. The losses I predict will be to Ohio St, not a blowout but closer than anyone thinks in the regular season. We have enough overall talent already on this team to make that kind of a run in year one as it's all about changing the mental attitude and coaching up the players and It looks as though the team has already bought in. For those that believe that we don't have that kind of talent on this team, are the biggest brain dead morons on the face of the planet...

Last edited:
Interesting.

Excellent post sir & 100% on the money! The Riley lovers will always continue to dream up BS excuses and try to blame MR's horribly pathetic results on Bo. It never ends....

Why are we talking about Bo Pelini and Mike Riley? The glorious reign of Scott Frost is well underway, the future is now! Let us talk about HCSF henceforth!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT