ADVERTISEMENT

JUCO RB Anthony Grant visiting

We’ve added two OL from the portal so far and are working on a third. So it’s not and either/or, we are trying to improve both.
That's good. I never said it was either/or. I only hold the opinion that I'd rather have a good OL than a good RB. The former immediately gives us 2 or 3 good RBs. But yeah...upgrade everywhere.

Reactions: t7w0c1 and headcard
we entered 2021 carrying 15 RBs including Belt - and we don’t have fullbacks

far more than other big ten schools (Iowa had 7 RBs).

perhaps cut the fat that are simply distracting from the development of the top 5-7 guys

there is tremendous roster bloat that adds no value and is detrimental to player development
This is how the walk-on program can detract from the team. Too many RBs dillute the reps in the RB group and then the bloat is justified by having the walk ons run on specials on Saturday which is why that sucks too. I’m great with walk ons but they have to earn it. And don’t give me this five star heart, practice ptper argument. If we’re playing walk ons, they need to be equal in talent and plus in effort. Most of the walk-on backs are not close to equal talent with the scholarship guys. Time to eliminate the bloat

This is how the walk-on program can detract from the team. Too many RBs dillute the reps in the RB group and then the bloat is justified by having the walk ons run on specials on Saturday which is why that sucks too. I’m great with walk ons but they have to earn it. And don’t give me this five star heart, practice ptper argument. If we’re playing walk ons, they need to be equal in talent and plus in effort. Most of the walk-on backs are not close to equal talent with the scholarship guys. Time to eliminate the bloat
I agree. I would rather the walk-on program be geared more towards the D-line and O-line. With occasional LB sprinkled in.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Love this kids film!

I wonder a lot.. is this Scott going around and offering guys as he is scouring for players? it sure seems like it..

OR, is it Whipple trying to upgrade what he has to work with.

As for the guys we have, it remains to be seen how Ervin does, he had all the tools, so hopefully he can come back from the injury. Yant needs to learn the playbook, but has the tools to be successful too.

After those two, Brody Belt looks like the most productive guy at the position. He might make a good Duck-R player?

I know Johnson is reliable yes, but he's not really a difference maker, nor is Stepp and whomever else is left.

I honestly think the whole RB room has been sandbagging since Riley was the coach.. it's like they want to wait until their senior year to put forth some effort.

When have we seen a kid at RB work like Ameer did?
Brody only had 10 rushing attempts and like 48 yards. Not exactly eye dropping. Much of his yardage came without contact and with holes most of our backs would have done the exact same thing.

I’m not saying he sucks but I’m saying he’s really not a factor until he is a factor.

also disagree with you on Rhamir. If he continues to improve like he did this year, kids legit. He has great speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield. I think the best play any back made all year was his TD against Michigan

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Reggie Davis Recruiting = Dylan Utter as a center. 2 of the worst Husker things ever.
And yet if the Oline that included
Brody only had 10 rushing attempts and like 48 yards. Not exactly eye dropping. Much of his yardage came without contact and with holes most of our backs would have done the exact same thing.

I’m not saying he sucks but I’m saying he’s really not a factor until he is a factor.

also disagree with you on Rhamir. If he continues to improve like he did this year, kids legit. He has great speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield. I think the best play any back made all year was his TD against Michigan
I think Johnson’s speed and the ability to catch will be of use to Whipple.

If I’m understanding correctly, he’s listed as the #1 juco RB according to 247 (86 - 3*)
He made stops at Florida State, New Mexico Military Institute, and Garden City.
A Rivals 4* out Buford, GA.
Similar size to Dedrick Mills.

Hinting we may be in the mix for another RB still.
Back in the day, it was a very big deal to sign the top back out of the jr college ranks. With everyone’s attention on the portal, NU has a great opportunity here.

Back in the day, it was a very big deal to sign the top back out of the jr college ranks. With everyone’s attention on the portal, NU has a great opportunity here.
Good post. I still consider it at least noteworthy!

Mills was good and we missed him last year.

If I’m understanding correctly, he’s listed as the #1 juco RB according to 247 (86 - 3*)
He made stops at Florida State, New Mexico Military Institute, and Garden City.
A Rivals 4* out Buford, GA.
Similar size to Dedrick Mills.

Hinting we may be in the mix for another RB still.
No committable offer. Maybe some issues on the school side.

I'm not 100% convinced that all the problems are in the backfield. We had way less than satisfactory blocking for any of these guys. Not sure how to single out any of them when there isn't much paving the way for them. Fix the OL and the RB's get better quickly. JMHO
OL play affects running backs which affects QB timing with receivers yet most want to blame the most visible player on the field.

May be in the minority on this but I just don’t see it with RJ. Good speed and hits the hole hard, but IMO he lacks vision, the most important quality a back can have.

Felt like Ervin has the vision, but lacks elite explosiveness.

Yant is a question mark with his weight and transfer rumors.

Stepp hasn’t shown much.

The A&M transfer is a complete unknown.

The true freshman is a project.

I think we almost need to take another RB when expecting that we will lose probably lose 1 more to attrition.

May be in the minority on this but I just don’t see it with RJ. Good speed and hits the hole hard, but IMO he lacks vision, the most important quality a back can have.

Felt like Ervin has the vision, but lacks elite explosiveness.

Yant is a question mark with his weight and transfer rumors.

Stepp hasn’t shown much.

The A&M transfer is a complete unknown.

The true freshman is a project.

I think we almost need to take another RB when expecting that we will lose probably lose 1 more to attrition.
You basically just said ALL of our backs suck or haven’t proved anything(basically the same thing).
People think our OL is terrible. People think we need DL.

And yet, lots of fools think we get to 8-9 wins next season? How?

You basically just said ALL of our backs suck or haven’t proved anything(basically the same thing).
People think our OL is terrible. People think we need DL.

And yet, lots of fools think we get to 8-9 wins next season? How?
Seems like a bit of an exaggeration of my post…

I am saying that we have a couple decent backs and a couple unknowns. We don’t have any difference makers on the roster as it stands right now. With improved OL play they could turn into above average backs.

Fwiw DT would be my #1 priority in the portal, followed by Safety, Center, and RB. We do have a lot of holes to fill from last years squad. Most people predicting 8-9 wins are going off of schedule.

I probably have a more negative view than most after the last few years and have been open in saying that I think SF should have got canned. That being said they’ve done a good job recruiting the portal, I like the new hires, and Frost could still turn it around. I predicted 6 wins for next year prior to getting Palmer. If they get a couple more difference makers 8 is attainable IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT