ADVERTISEMENT

JUCO RB Anthony Grant visiting

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
If I’m understanding correctly, he’s listed as the #1 juco RB according to 247 (86 - 3*)
He made stops at Florida State, New Mexico Military Institute, and Garden City.
A Rivals 4* out Buford, GA.
Similar size to Dedrick Mills.

Hinting we may be in the mix for another RB still.

If I’m understanding correctly, he’s listed as the #1 juco RB according to 247 (86 - 3*)
He made stops at Florida State, New Mexico Military Institute, and Garden City.
A Rivals 4* out Buford, GA.
Similar size to Dedrick Mills.

Hinting we may be in the mix for another RB still.

I don't understand the need for so many RBs. Especially since Whipple likes to spread the field and throw the ball.

The "3 & Out" article on the main page discusses this and Bryan Munson wonders whether theres another back on the roster considering the portal. Yant maybe?

Reactions: tpmcg and headcard
I don't understand the need for so many RBs. Especially since Whipple likes to spread the field and throw the ball.
Not sure what’s normal for other teams but 7 scholly RBs does seem heavy.
However, given lack of proven guys/injuries, they could be desperate to load up. Concern being where do you take away from?

Could also be a signal someone is on the way out, or they want a big spring showdown competition before deciding who will be asked to leave.

Our most proven Johnson still has relatively pedestrian numbers to back up “proven” status.

Reactions: king_kong_
Well one thing is for sure... taking all of these running backs means that the coaches are worried about more than depth at the position. It looks to me like the new offensive staff looked at some film and decided that a few of the backs are just dead weight who will never be contributors. Stepp? What a joke. Yant? Head case with a poor work ethic. Rahmir? Decent back but how durable? Gabe Ervin? Same as Rahmir. We need these new backs.

Well one thing is for sure... taking all of these running backs means that the coaches are worried about more than depth at the position. It looks to me like the new offensive staff looked at some film and decided that a few of the backs are just dead weight who will never be contributors. Stepp? What a joke. Yant? Head case with a poor work ethic. Rahmir? Decent back but how durable? Gabe Ervin? Same as Rahmir. We need these new backs.
It does make you wonder what the heck was going on in that room over the last few years
Morrison was seemingly unavailable
Scott fell off
Stepp shows up first game then goes missing
He let the media know after last season he wasn’t injured, he was available but wouldn’t get into specifics
Yant is another saga too that is unfinished
Totally undependable room except for RJ who was buried too at one point
Thank goodness there’s some new coaching on that side of the ball
Ervin was looking good hope he can get back on the field if healthy

Our Current RB Room:

Rahmir Johnson - Serviceable, but injuries could be an issue. Good hands and speed, needs more power

Jaquez Yant - Good Power and Vision. Lacks high end speed and seems to have some diva and work ethic issues. Needs to transform his body like Ozigbo did.

Gabe Ervin - Serviceable, but how is the knee. Needs to develop better vision and power

E. Johnson - Film looks pretty good, but an unknown.

Zach Weinmaster - Should Never see the field
Cooper Jewett - Should Never see the field
Marquis Stepp - Should Never see the field
Matt Schuster - Should never see the field

We probably really need a minimum of 2 more back minimum as RJ and Gabe might not be the same off of injury.

RB room is a bit of a mess.
agreed. i don't think anyone necessarily felt 'too comfortable', rather Held seemingly never stayed with a 'hot hand' and no one was able to ever develop a consistent game. i'll clean the slate and keep an open mind about them until after someone else has a chance to work with them.

Reactions: headcard
Not sure what’s normal for other teams but 7 scholly RBs does seem heavy.
However, given lack of proven guys/injuries, they could be desperate to load up. Concern being where do you take away from?

Could also be a signal someone is on the way out, or they want a big spring showdown competition before deciding who will be asked to leave.

Our most proven Johnson still has relatively pedestrian numbers to back up “proven” status.
Johnson showed promise last year and can definitely round into a nice player. But unless he takes another step forward with his play, he's a back that can share the load, but not a feature back. Maybe Ervin comes back good as new from the injury and claims that spot. But it's clear the staff is still looking.

I'm fine with taking another running back as the running back position hasn't been consistently good since Devine Ozigbo left. There have been moments here and there with guys but not really any consistency.

I'd still prefer to get a couple more offensive linemen. I'd also be trying to get in on as many transfers from Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State that I could, regardless of position.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
It does make you wonder what the heck was going on in that room over the last few years
Morrison was seemingly unavailable
Scott fell off
Stepp shows up first game then goes missing
He let the media know after last season he wasn’t injured, he was available but wouldn’t get into specifics
Yant is another saga too that is unfinished
Totally undependable room except for RJ who was buried too at one point
Thank goodness there’s some new coaching on that side of the ball
Ervin was looking good hope he can get back on the field if healthy
Good break down. And it shows why they want new blood in the room. Our recruiting in this area has been less than stellar. Some of these guys looked good on paper, but really did not pan out. Going to be very interesting to see who the new RB coach is.

we entered 2021 carrying 15 RBs including Belt - and we don’t have fullbacks

far more than other big ten schools (Iowa had 7 RBs).

perhaps cut the fat that are simply distracting from the development of the top 5-7 guys

there is tremendous roster bloat that adds no value and is detrimental to player development

Last edited:
But who is the running back coach? Something strange is going on in regards to our RB search. Is this new coach still coaching or is there a problem finding the right guy willing to accept the terms of a contract with Nebraska.

Love this kids film!

I wonder a lot.. is this Scott going around and offering guys as he is scouring for players? it sure seems like it..

OR, is it Whipple trying to upgrade what he has to work with.

As for the guys we have, it remains to be seen how Ervin does, he had all the tools, so hopefully he can come back from the injury. Yant needs to learn the playbook, but has the tools to be successful too.

After those two, Brody Belt looks like the most productive guy at the position. He might make a good Duck-R player?

I know Johnson is reliable yes, but he's not really a difference maker, nor is Stepp and whomever else is left.

I honestly think the whole RB room has been sandbagging since Riley was the coach.. it's like they want to wait until their senior year to put forth some effort.

When have we seen a kid at RB work like Ameer did?

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
I have no idea whats taking so long, but i think fluid and everchanging are going to be the story on coaching. the portal…wait until they really get paid for ‘nil’.

But who is the running back coach? Something strange is going on in regards to our RB search. Is this new coach still coaching or is there a problem finding the right guy willing to accept the terms of a contract with Nebraska.
Perhaps there is a RB coach in play, not able to name yet but still adding input and suggesting they look at other backs. Maybe these backs know something but aren't allowed to say. Hard to phathom in this day and age of social media but who knows.

We’ve added two OL from the portal so far and are working on a third. So it’s not and either/or, we are trying to improve both.
Would def like to grab one more OL a DT and a Safety.

Spring will settle who needs to move on to make space.
Right now we got 2 scholly punters, which is kind of ridiculous (I support 1), so Cerni would be likely victim of processing.

Reactions: headcard
They will be a new round of departures and players looking for new homes after spring practices

I'm not 100% convinced that all the problems are in the backfield. We had way less than satisfactory blocking for any of these guys. Not sure how to single out any of them when there isn't much paving the way for them. Fix the OL and the RB's get better quickly. JMHO

true.. also shifting into more of a passing offense.. at least that is what I thought we were doing.

posted this in another thread
Whipple vs Frost play calling the last 3 years

Below is the pass play percentage called by Whipple at Pitt the last 3 years and Frost at NU

2021 >> 2020 >> 2019

Pitt. 53% - 54% - 56%

NU. 45% - 42% - 39%

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT