ADVERTISEMENT

Jeriah Horne transferring as well

Horne was a malcontent and a cancer, and the team will be far better off without him.

Unless he performs well for some other program in 2018-19. Then losing Horne unexpectedly is the reason the Huskers haven't been back to the tournament, and any fan who's not stupidly impatient should be able to figure that out.

Judging by him immediately gunning up a couple threes as soon as he got in at the end of games, I would have to agree with you. But by my experience, 90% of freshmen malcontents have troublesome personalities & attitudes long before getting on campus. Wouldn't Miles get to know Horne well and realize how he needed to be handled before signing him? If Miles values defense over all else, why is he even recruiting Horne? Or did Miles make another bad evaluation?

Business as usual for Husker hoops. I am glad Miles is back, but he better produce this year. This act is getting old.

Horne was not a "difference maker". But Miles recruited him and it is not a good thing he is gone. We need to put our basketball program in perspective: it is horrible. One of the worst in the history of D-1 hoops. Awful. Wretched. And has been for decades and decades.

My point? We are not the kind of program that can say of a player like Horne: "Glad he is gone. He wasn't good anyway". We need all the help we can get

I'd look for a transfer to Wichita State. He will have more success defending MVC type forwards. If not MVC, it will be a Summit or Southern League team. Anyone worried about losing a 33% 3 point shooter, shouldn't be. A 33% 3 point shooter should never be taking 57% of his shots from 3. He was not going to be a factor in the BigTen on a consistent basis. And, if he had bad practice habits, best to cut bait. Sooner or later Miles has to start establishing expectations that are actually met by his players, with consequences for failing to do so. Maybe this time around he will.

I'd look for a transfer to Wichita State. He will have more success defending MVC type forwards. If not MVC, it will be a Summit or Southern League team. Anyone worried about losing a 33% 3 point shooter, shouldn't be. A 33% 3 point shooter should never be taking 57% of his shots from 3. He was not going to be a factor in the BigTen on a consistent basis. And, if he had bad practice habits, best to cut bait. Sooner or later Miles has to start establishing expectations that are actually met by his players, with consequences for failing to do so. Maybe this time around he will.

I definitely saw a different play than you did. He was a tweener but he wasn't afraid to get after it on the offensive end. A guy like Roby could learn from that. Hell, the majority of our team could learn from that. IMO, he was going to be a guy who turned into a good shooter for us. Not a huge deal if we replace him with a guy who can knock down shots but I don't really feel confident that's what is going to happen.

Comedy on here when it comes to understanding analytical basketball.

Over the long haul a 33% or shooter is equivalent to a 50% 2 pt shooter.

Considering Horne had a 2 pt shooting pct (50%) that was better than everyone on the team except Morrow, (who doesn't shoot from further than 4 feet from the bucket) and was the 3rd on the team in 3pt %, behind Watson 39% and a dead heat with McVeigh 33.8%. Horne was probabaly the most efficient scorer on the team. If he were to drive to the hoop on occasion and get to the line, he could average about 18 points per 40 minutes played.

But hey spin it anyway you want.

Anyone worried about losing a 33% 3 point shooter, shouldn't be.

And yet people keep telling us to be excited because Gill will be healthy next year? I wasn't overly impressed with Horne, but Gill's performance made Horne look like a budding star. And if shooting 33% from the arc is woeful, why are people convinced that McVeigh is a great shooter?

It's funny how these guys are diamonds in the rough who will surely contribute to the NU basketball program's inevitable turning of the corner under Tim Miles - until the moment they leave, at which point they were clearly never going to pan out anyway.

Last edited:

Considering Horne had a 2 pt shooting pct (50%) that was better than everyone on the team except Morrow, (who doesn't shoot from further than 4 feet from the bucket) and was the 3rd on the team in 3pt %, behind Watson 39% and a dead heat with McVeigh 33.8%. Horne was probabaly the most efficient scorer on the team. If he were to drive to the hoop on occasion and get to the line, he could average about 18 points per 40 minutes played.

And if IIRC, he mostly played the 4 in high school and was transitioning to the 3 in college. You have to expect some perimeter defensive issues when that happens. But I guess 1 year is all he gets to figure it out either forced or by choice.

Horne was a malcontent and a cancer, and the team will be far better off without him.

Unless he performs well for some other program in 2018-19. Then losing Horne unexpectedly is the reason the Huskers haven't been back to the tournament, and any fan who's not stupidly impatient should be able to figure that out.

I don't think losing him is a big deal. But we probably need to stop labeling every single player that wants to transfer as a "malcontent and a cancer"

More than likely...he just didn't feel like it was a good fit for him. It happens.

I hope he goes to the Shockers. I hope we can actually get the Shockers to play Nebraska once he is eligible, assuming Miles is still here in two years. I've got a feeling people wouldn't like the results.

Reactions: nudan92
I don't think losing him is a big deal. But we probably need to stop labeling every single player that wants to transfer as a "malcontent and a cancer"

More than likely...he just didn't feel like it was a good fit for him. It happens.
I neglected to use the sarcasm font, sorry. The next paragraph was meant to make that point, but apparently it didn't.

People bashing Horne don't remember Ryan Anderson. I remember watching practice his freshman year and Ryan looked like one of the softest, worst players I've seen - and Doc let him know it every day. Later became one of the toughest, best players on the team as a 6'4 forward, and a very good outside shooter. The same thing seems to have happened for the Daum kid at SDSU.

Most freshman do suck defensively and aren't in the best physical shape. A year of getting your butt kicked and an off-season in the weight room can make a huge difference. Horne had a lot of potential once he figured things out mentally.

Last edited:

Oh please...I'm not happy Horne is transferring either but it's not "spin" to say he's a replaceable piece. The guy was a 40% shooter who played 12 minutes a game and averaged 4.3 points per game. He also plays a position, wing, where we have the most depth on the team. I think he had potential but let's not make this out to be bigger than it is. Guys transfer all the time now. It's part of the deal. I think the average is now 3 transfers per team, per year. And again, I'm not happy about losing anyone, but if people are going to inevitably transfer (which they are) I'd rather it be guys like this then someone like Andrew White.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Very difficult to judge freshman. If we were a decent program, realistically 1/2 need to redshirt. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury. Best of luck to him at his next school.

GBR

Oh please...I'm not happy Horne is transferring either but it's not "spin" to say he's a replaceable piece. The guy was a 40% shooter who played 12 minutes a game and averaged 4.3 points per game. He also plays a position, wing, where we have the most depth on the team. I think he had potential but let's not make this out to be bigger than it is. Guys transfer all the time now. It's part of the deal. I think the average is now 3 transfers per team, per year. And again, I'm not happy about losing anyone, but if people are going to inevitably transfer (which they are) I'd rather it be guys like this then someone like Andrew White.
Just because there are bodies, does not mean there is actual depth. Barring a surprise, wing play will suck again next year.

It's such a big deal nebraska has transfers out, yet 700 transferred last season.

Definitely seems unique to Nebrasketball though......

Funny, the reaction wasn't the same for Nick Fuller...was it? Why do you think that may be? Horne has the potential to become a very good shooter. For a team that is already really bad at shooting the ball that's not good news. Remember, Tim Miles says he will fix our shooting for next year...just like how he said he would fix our three point defense heading into this year. How did that work out? People will forget about it if we go out and get a guy who can help on the offensive end. A graduate transfer that can stretch the defense would be nice. Something I think Horne would have helped with next year.

Ha ha Roby is 15 min a game, 39%, 20% from 3 and scored only 3.1 per game. Yet he is talked about as one of the cornerstones for next year's resurgence.

Secondly No one said he was a replaceable piece. They used his stats to attempt to discredit his offensive game. I simply pointed out that he was 2nd in 2 pt shooting and 3rd in 3 pt shooting among players that played with any regularity. Sometime you have to read the words to understand the point of the post.

Last edited:
He had the potential to be a mini microwave off the bench but he showed great defensive liability and was never going to crack the starting lineup.

Fans shouldn't be thrilled by the transfer but also shouldn't feel devastated by it.

Instead, fans should be devastated that Miles is still the head basketball coach at the University of Nebraska.

Reactions: Red Steve
I am not a huge BB fan but isn't player development part of the game? Is a freshman a write off if he does not come in as a superstar right from the start? Was he coach-able with potential? There seems to be a revolving door when it comes to players bolting from the team. How many games better could the team have been this season if they didn't lose White last year?

Since he lost Craig Smith it's all been downhill. Molinari is terrible, Hunter is there for recruiting and I'd say he's done a fine job. Billy Donovan's guy had promise it's too bad he bailed once he saw he was joining a sinking ship.
I remember that. He bailed and went to Bobby Hurley's staff at ASU. Nebraska appears to just be a stepping stone job for assistants now. Sad.

Instead, fans should be devastated that Miles is still the head basketball coach at the University of Nebraska.
Laughing

45a9bc388972ec80b418ca8ac4bc0af934739dcb_hq.gif

Ha ha Horne is 15 min a game, 39%, 20% from 3 and scored only 3.1 per game. Yet he is talked about as one of the cornerstones for next year's resurgence.

Secondly No one said he was a replaceable piece. They used his stats to attempt to discredit his offensive game. I simply pointed out that he was 2nd in 2 pt shooting and 3rd in 3 pt shooting among players that played with any regularity. Sometime you have to read the words to understand the point of the post.

I assume you mean Roby? Not Horne? I agree that Roby's offensive game needs to improve but I hope we can both agree that on the defensive end he is head and shoulders better than Horne in pretty much every category. Plus Roby is a better ball handler and passer.

Here is a list of returning players who scored more points per game than Horne: Watson, McVeigh, Taylor, Jacobson, Morrow, Tshiminga.

With the addition of Copeland, Palmer, and maybe even Akenten; my guess is that had Horne returned he wouldn't have cracked the top 6 in scoring in 2018. For a guy who is a defensive liability and predicates his playing time on scoring- I just don't think this is a huge loss.

I'm not trying to diminish Horne's game. He could have helped us stretch the floor. However, people are acting like losing this guy is similar to the Andrew White situation. Every team in college hoops experiences transfers. Often it's guys who think they won't play enough. My guess is that is probably a factor here.

I assume you mean Roby? Not Horne? I agree that Roby's offensive game needs to improve but I hope we can both agree that on the defensive end he is head and shoulders better than Horne in pretty much every category. Plus Roby is a better ball handler and passer.

Here is a list of returning players who scored more points per game than Horne: Watson, McVeigh, Taylor, Jacobson, Morrow, Tshiminga.

With the addition of Copeland, Palmer, and maybe even Akenten; my guess is that had Horne returned he wouldn't have cracked the top 6 in scoring in 2018. For a guy who is a defensive liability and predicates his playing time on scoring- I just don't think this is a huge loss.

I'm not trying to diminish Horne's game. He could have helped us stretch the floor. However, people are acting like losing this guy is similar to the Andrew White situation. Every team in college hoops experiences transfers. Often it's guys who think they won't play enough. My guess is that is probably a factor here.

I did mean Roby thank you.

No one is acting like Horne was anything more than what he was. I think the most positive things said about him was that he was talented. Not sure that equates to comparing this to the White situation.

And most of those comments were in defense of someone using the old "we didn't want him anyway" line and he was a cancer. Maybe it won't end up being a big loss. But this was a freshman playing good minutes and was efficient on offense. And Copeland, Palmer and Akenten are all unknowns at what they will do here. Copeland has back issues. Palmer averages in 2 years at Miami weren't equal to what Horne put up here and Akenten will be a freshman.

Last edited:

Or...this is what his opinion is of the Nebraska program at this time?
1c6.gif

I understand analytics of basketball very well, having coached and studied the game for years. But, there is a reason you don't want a 33% shooter taking 57% of his shots from three or taking a lot of threes for your team. Yes, it is equivalent to 50% from two, which equates to 1.0 point per possession. 197 teams in the NCAA did better than that. 150 teams shot better than 50% from 2 points. 250 teams shot better than 33.3% overall. Saying he is 3rd on the team in 3 pt shooting is an indictment on the team's shooting, not an attribute for Horne. I guess if you look at the fact that UNL shot 45% from two on the season, then yeah, his 3 pt shooting was analytically preferable, but there is a reason the team was as bad as it was. Look, replacing him is an issue if you can't improve that position on the bench in doing so, but status quo with that kind of shooting just means another season like the past.

Reactions: Suvey101885
I understand analytics of basketball very well, having coached and studied the game for years. But, there is a reason you don't want a 33% shooter taking 57% of his shots from three or taking a lot of threes for your team. Yes, it is equivalent to 50% from two, which equates to 1.0 point per possession. 197 teams in the NCAA did better than that. 150 teams shot better than 50% from 2 points. 250 teams shot better than 33.3% overall. Saying he is 3rd on the team in 3 pt shooting is an indictment on the team's shooting, not an attribute for Horne. I guess if you look at the fact that UNL shot 45% from two on the season, then yeah, his 3 pt shooting was analytically preferable, but there is a reason the team was as bad as it was. Look, replacing him is an issue if you can't improve that position on the bench in doing so, but status quo with that kind of shooting just means another season like the past.

I guess I am confused on who you are replacing him with. With him leaving you have 2 open scholarships, and a logjam of wing players that are already playing.

People are counting on Palmer who averages 12.5 minutes 3.6 Ppg shot 45% from 2 and 32.7% from 3 in 2 seasons at Miami. Yet because he is a former top recruit, people are expecting him to turn into an all world player.

Same with Copeland he is 25 minutes per game 50% from 2, 29% from 3 and 8.6 Ppg in 2+ years at Georgetown. But for some reason he is going to set the Big Ten on fire because he was a top HS player and had a few great games at Gtown.

So those 2 guys are going to improve but Horne has no chance and wasn't going to see any playing time anyway.

The power of hope I suppose.

Every team in college hoops experiences transfers. Often it's guys who think they won't play enough. My guess is that is probably a factor here.

That's I'm not all that sad about losing Horne. Nor am I gleeful about having Gill and Palmer - why do you think they transferred?

I guess I am confused on who you are replacing him with. With him leaving you have 2 open scholarships, and a logjam of wing players that are already playing.

People are counting on Palmer who averages 12.5 minutes 3.6 Ppg shot 45% from 2 and 32.7% from 3 in 2 seasons at Miami. Yet because he is a former top recruit, people are expecting him to turn into an all world player.

Same with Copeland he is 25 minutes per game 50% from 2, 29% from 3 and 8.6 Ppg in 2+ years at Georgetown. But for some reason he is going to set the Big Ten on fire because he was a top HS player and had a few great games at Gtown.

So those 2 guys are going to improve but Horne has no chance and wasn't going to see any playing time anyway.

Again, offense and shooting percentage only tell part of the story. Let's not forget that Horne was a sub-par (at best) defender. The guy didn't get more minutes because he was a liability on that end and on top of that he was eighth on the team in per game scoring and 6 of the guys ahead of him return. So I'm just not ready to say that losing him will hurt us that bad. Yes, I think he would have been a contributor and yes, I think he could have improved. I just think that he would have likely been the eighth or ninth guy in the rotation (if he was lucky). Saying that isn't outlandish. We should be able to replace a guy who is that far down on the rotation without this much hand wringing.

I think everyone agrees that losing Horne is NOT an excuse for losing games next year. So I'm just not sure why people believe this is such a huge deal. This is a totally normal transfer that occurs for the vast majority of teams in college hoops. If Watson, Morrow, or Tshimanga transferred then I'd be ready to blow a gasket. But at this point, if I would have had to pick two guys that we could lose to transfer Horne and Fuller would have been the two.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I guess I didn't realize Nebraska was a good defensive team with or without Horne. Who were the shut down wing defenders on this team?

This team was consistently late on rotations, blame Molinari if you want to, but most of poor perimeter defense was due to lack of focus and hustle. So for whatever reason, they accepted it from the sophomores but not the freshmen?

It's early. I'm sure there will be more departures.

Reactions: newAD
Well it does give us a chance to land Mark Smith, but if we don't get him who else is available for the 2017 class?

He also plays a position, wing, where we have the most depth on the team.

This ^

Guys transfer all the time now. It's part of the deal. I think the average is now 3 transfers per team, per year.

This ^^

And again, I'm not happy about losing anyone, but if people are going to inevitably transfer (which they are) I'd rather it be guys like this

And This ^^^

Yeah, let's not make more out of 12th in scoring and 13th in defense in the league or 6-12 and 12-19 for league and overall records either. If we were to make more out of those numbers, we might 'mistakenly' want to stop increasing the current coach's salary and start considering finding a replacement. Heaven forbid those things happen.

I'd agree with you on that statement, IF Horne played the 2-3 in high school. From my understanding from what I've read only, is that he played the 4, and didn't attempt enough 3s his senior year to be listed in the season stats for the top shooters in his state. So I think you are potentially selling him short on that. We'll see after next season wherever he goes, and I bet he'll play adequate defense there.

And yet people keep telling us to be excited because Gill will be healthy next year? I wasn't overly impressed with Horne, but Gill's performance made Horne look like a budding star. And if shooting 33% from the arc is woeful, why are people convinced that McVeigh is a great shooter?

It's funny how these guys are diamonds in the rough who will surely contribute to the NU basketball program's inevitable turning of the corner under Tim Miles - until the moment they leave, at which point they were clearly never going to pan out anyway.

I'm not convinced we have a single great shooter on the team. Every time McVeigh shoots I expect to hear a thud.

What were Andrew White iii's stats at KU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT