ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Jones is N

Too early in the recruiting season to take a kid with his offer list IMO. I get it he is 6'4 and fast... blah blah blah.

Look I have been following recruiting for a long time, 2003 to be exact. I am telling you one 5 Star QB does not mean you just take whoever whenever. If we are looking for a safety late in this recruiting cycle you can find someone with his offer list. Swing for the fences first and then if you miss, go after these guys.

No I am not saying this kid won't be good, all I am saying, is that when your competition is Louisville, Eastern Michigan and Murray State you can wait a bit... and should wait a bit
You should remember this the next time someone isn't head-over-heels in love with an NU basketball recruit. You treat those posts like someone just pushed your grandmother down a flight of stairs.

I agree with you that we have a lot of low offer, 5.5 and 5.6 guys. But, the real big fish just don’t want to come to Nebraska. We are not a place guys just want to go when they have other options. We got great players in the 90s because we were college football badasses… now, we have fuggin sucked for years so why would they come here? We need to win to land players, there’s no other reason for guys to go to Nebraska
As for the pickup, Louisville has some decent players so he could be fine
Well, they want to get paid too.

You should remember this the next time someone isn't head-over-heels in love with an NU basketball recruit. You treat those posts like someone just pushed your grandmother down a flight of stairs.
I wasn't in love with the basketball portal transfers, but I do feel they landed a couple Big 10 caliber players to give us at least 2 deep at each position. Who was I sunshine pumping?

Last edited:
No, if you trust your evaluation, then you take him and wait for the offer list to grow while keeping him. Ill be surprised if he isnt a 4 star come December. If he focuses on 1 side of the ball he is an NFL player at TE or OLB.
If he is as good as you think, why no offer from Florida State? Also I'd be willing to bet if Florida State misses on their top guys and they offer h late in the game he won't hesitate to go there

Too early in the recruiting season to take a kid with his offer list IMO. I get it he is 6'4 and fast... blah blah blah.

Look I have been following recruiting for a long time, 2003 to be exact. I am telling you one 5 Star QB does not mean you just take whoever whenever. If we are looking for a safety late in this recruiting cycle you can find someone with his offer list. Swing for the fences first and then if you miss, go after these guys.

No I am not saying this kid won't be good, all I am saying, is that when your competition is Louisville, Eastern Michigan and Murray State you can wait a bit... and should wait a bit

Damn I loved the kid myself. Thought he's a great athlete/football player with position flexibility. He could easily play as many as 5-6 positions depending on how he grows and develops.

Plus he fits the "planet theory". There are only so many people who the planet who will have his combination of height/size/speed/athleticism. Undoubtedly our coaches think they can develop him.

He's the least of my worries in this current class. I can understand by just looking at the offer list though while it can be concerning to some.

Holla

No I don't, but I feel like he closing up spots too early right now.

I heard every single thing about recruiting

From "You better than our coach?" to "I'll leave it up to the professionals and you arm chair quarterbacks can talk all you want!"

How'd lazy recruiting turn out for Frost?

At the end of the day Infeel good about Rhule as a coach and a leader. I just am not happy with "some" of the recruits we are letting commit this early in the game. I know it is not popular opinion and maybe everyone they had on the board above him fell through. I am not going to sunshine pump a recruit that was like "I am committing to Nebraska, because they are the only legit offer I got."

I agree with that about a few of our earlier commits. I think we could've done better but I'll trust his history of developing these guys until he shows me it's not very good.

Curious though what is it that you don't like about this kid other than his offer list?

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yep when we’re getting kicked by Miami and FSU in the bowl games. They had a little better players but they had a hell of lot more speed .

The one thing you can coach is speed. You better recruit the shit out of it and develop it to the highest. It's how you can make up for guys who are deemed a bit less talented as football players. At a developmental school like Ruhle says we are I think it's instrumental.

Holla

I agree with that about a few of our earlier commits. I think we could've done better but I'll trust his history of developing these guys until he shows me it's not very good.

Curious though what is it that you don't like about this kid other than his offer list?

Holla
At his height and from the videos I have seen I don't think he has good lateral footwork... similar to what I don't like about Haarberg

Damn I loved the kid myself. Thought he's a great athlete/football player with position flexibility. He could easily play as many as 5-6 positions depending on how he grows and develops.

Plus he fits the "planet theory". There are only so many people who the planet who will have his combination of height/size/speed/athleticism. Undoubtedly our coaches think they can develop him.

He's the least of my worries in this current class. I can understand by just looking at the offer list though while it can be concerning to some.

Holla
The kid looks like he has the tools. I like the pick up.

If you wait to offer guys like this you’re never going to get them. There’s a good chance his offer list blows up this fall. Recruiting commentators have been very positive about his talent. We HAVE to trust Rhule’s staff’s evaluations
TO did the same thing. Keep your eye on developing regional talent, work the high schools and get guys before anyone else. Mix that with blue chip talent and win more than 9 most years. It’s harder now, but the focus on speed and core athleticism is a good one. These guys might know the difference between an unrated guy with unlimited talent, and a 4* guy that’s maxed out his talent.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The one thing you can coach is speed. You better recruit the shit out of it and develop it to the highest. It's how you can make up for guys who are deemed a bit less talented as football players. At a developmental school like Ruhle says we are I think it's instrumental.

Holla
Speed is the basketball equivalent of tall. Boeheim lived off of long guys playing a 2-3 zone. When Charlie and TO decided to focus on team defensive speed, NU won titles. No other way to do it.

Is it an excuse to take a kid like Jeremiah Jones?
It could be. But I was talking about the fans in this thread who are representative of many thoughout the fan base, all of college football, really, who make excuses for why a player didn't make it or why he should get a scholarship. Many of us get excited about a prospect when really we know almost nothing about them except we read a hype article - and they write that stuff about a 3 star like he's gonna be all conference.

At his height and from the videos I have seen I don't think he has good lateral footwork... similar to what I don't like about Haarberg

Doesn't his lateral footwork matter less/more depending on the position he's slated to play? So when you say he doesn't have good lateral footwork in reference to what position is what I'd ask you.

If you are saying CB I'd probably agree. If you are talking safety I think it would be debatable. If we are talking Rover I would disagree and if you are talking LB/OLB I'd disagree vehemently.

Holla

It could be. But I was talking about the fans in this thread who are representative of many thoughout the fan base, all of college football, really, who make excuses for why a player didn't make it or why he should get a scholarship. Many of us get excited about a prospect when really we know almost nothing about them except we read a hype article - and they write that stuff about a 3 star like he's gonna be all conference.
There’s some truth in what you say but I also think the opposite is true when guys on here trash a prospect they haven’t evaluated. Rhule has shown he can develop raw talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT