ADVERTISEMENT

Jarrett Bell

Not so sure
Out of A&M I had five offers including Xerox, American Hospital Supply and IBM with a business degree. The fine arts guys have the lowest salaries and highest unemployment rates

business degrees aren't the worst, but they're far from the best.

Would you say they were more like $100 handshakes sans the $500 and up we hear about in the SEC?

I have a good friend that insists that ND is cleaner than Baby Jesus. I tell him to quit abusing himself to the Knute Rockne videos. I think every school has this to a certain degree. Some are just more blatant or better at hiding it than others.

I am curious, however, if any of our coaches knew to what degree this occurred.

I don’t know what the coaches knew, they weren’t at the location where the “transaction” occurred. The player(s), I am familiar with, received multiple cash transactions from a booster at the booster’s place of business.

I don’t know what the coaches knew, they weren’t at the location where the “transaction” occurred. The player(s), I am familiar with, received multiple cash transactions from a booster at the booster’s place of business.

Generally that's where the money comes from. My guess is that most of the stuff coaches do has to do with illegal contact and such..

What's with this group and thinking it's cool to try to ruin the reputation of NU?
A former player admitted to it on his radio show before he died. But yeah, blame "this group".... "more than the game" takes on so many meanings

business degrees aren't the worst, but they're far from the best.
Better said than my statement and I am simply coming from a point of view of owning a Search and Placement firm in Silicon Valley. All my clients are Software companies and we recruit Sales, Sales Engineering, Marketing, Engineering, etc. Most of the individual contributor roles are technical with 5 years experience and compensation ranges of 130K to 400K. Leadership roles ranges 200K to 600K. 80% of the time these people have technical degrees, or have captured the equivalent ... just saying!

Reactions: Sinomatic
This is how this works
One of my best friends- we've stayed in each other's homes , family vacations together etc
He's from Texas went to blinn juco
Big fast running back
Smu offers but says in order for him to get car and get paid he has to break 2 deep
He was Huge Nebraska fan
He knows more about nu football history than 99 percent here loved Nebraska because they ran the ball, won, were on tv and played black kids before it was big
He came from a very poor family and wanted a car and money
Nu was widely known as being "square" and didn't pay, so they were never under consideration
He signed with a less competitive school in Texas. Got a 280 z and anytime he needed money he just went to his sugar daddies house usually in the $100-300 range no set monthly amount 1981 timeframe
I saw the car, his parents house etc met him year after he called it quits- his wife who he met in school has been with us when discussed- it's all true etc

He seriously regretted that decision very shortly after and to this day but he made a kids decision
Got serious injury never made it to nfl

It was absolute torture for him the first time he came here to visit and went to his first game here vs Oklahoma and did tour. Guy was just beside himself with regret

Last edited:
Im calling BS on all this cheating talk

Ive seen it before- Millennial types somehow want to throw darts at NU greatness- I'm guessing it makes them feel better about the recent downfall or the mediocrity that preceded it. Or maybe they arent real fans or dont even go to games to begin with.

Kenny Bell- one of our best receivers of all time- definitely top playmaker on his team> He's working the door at a bar and he doesnt have enough money to eat and gets his utlities shut off, but hes getting paid big $$$?

I hired a starting offensive back one summer to be a gopher at my company. His dad was a friend of my OPS manager, he knew them from church. It was a part time deal- the kid had to drive to Lincoln every day for workouts etc.

The compliance office required us to fill out a bunch of paperwork. We had to show that we werent paying him more than the previous person that had done the job and that the kid was coming into work. I think our OPS guy also got a phone call from them and had to jump through some hoops to make sure everything was legit- it was.

I know another highly recruited outstate kid on this team- he doesnt even own a car. I also had ex players Ive coached who play or have played- asked them about this. They said no one is offered $$ incentives to sign on the dotted line.

I work with HS coaches all over the US starting in about 2008 and Ive always asked them what their thoughts are about NU. It's always "the guys in the white hats". Im no Pelini fan- but Ive known several that just love the guy- he talks football with them a bunch even if they dont have kids they can get- probably because Bo hates recruiting LOL

Last edited:
Im calling BS on all this cheating talk

Ive seen it before- Millennial types somehow want to throw darts at NU greatness- I'm guessing it makes them feel better about the recent downfall or the mediocrity that preceded it. Or maybe they arent real fans or dont even go to games to begin with.

Kenny Bell- one of our best receivers of all time- definitely top playmaker on his team> He's working the door at a bar and he doesnt have enough money to eat and gets his utlities shut off, but hes getting paid big $$$?

I hired a starting offensive back one summer to be a gopher at my company. His dad was a friend of my OPS manager, he knew them from church. It was a part time deal- the kid had to drive to Lincoln every day for workouts etc.

The compliance office required us to fill out a bunch of paperwork. We had to show that we werent paying him more than the previous person that had done the job and that the kid was coming into work. I think our OPS guy also got a phone call from them and had to jump through some hoops to make sure everything was legit- it was.

We employed John Blake.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Better said than my statement and I am simply coming from a point of view of owning a Search and Placement firm in Silicon Valley. All my clients are Software companies and we recruit Sales, Sales Engineering, Marketing, Engineering, etc. Most of the individual contributor roles are technical with 5 years experience and compensation ranges of 130K to 400K. Leadership roles ranges 200K to 600K. 80% of the time these people have technical degrees, or have captured the equivalent ... just saying!
i have a broadcasting degree...can I get in on some of this?

Reactions: burkek
We employed John Blake.

We stunk up the place during the Callahan/Blake regime

People are throwing arrows at NU during the Osborne era

If we were paying kids to come here- man they did an awful job of it. With the exception of a couple of very lucky perfect storms, Osbornes 25 year career at NU usually featured recruiting classes ranked in the lower 20s.

There's a reason NU shied away from competing for players against the likes of OU, Texas, Texas A&M, OKie State etc back in those days, they werent going to pay. Back in those days- the guys on the road would ask the players a series of very non confrontational questions used to determine if they were looking to get paid. When they ran into a kid like that- they backed off. It was in one of those thin books you could buy near the register of the Nebraska Book Store- it had some NU history mixed with spiritual stuff- I think written by Turner Gill or Ron Brown.

And remember- weve had plenty of home grown super stars who grew up dreaming to play for NU- no need to pay them:
Rogers
Crouch
Green
Kinney
Jones
Rimington
Steinkuhler
ENDLESS list

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedBeliever
i have a broadcasting degree...can I get in on some of this?
Ive had probably 15 different Tech Recruiters and Sales people work for me in the Tech field. Most of them made between 100-200 K- right here in Nebraska or Iowa.
They all had Business degrees- none were techs
Sales guys 100-250K all but 1 had Business backgrounds

Back in the 80s, a couple of our starters routinely received packages from a former player who was in the NFL. Pretty sure this was a friend to friend thing rather than an inducement to sign. Who knows what was in the packages. Cash? Cheeb? Comic books?

Ive had probably 15 different Tech Recruiters and Sales people work for me in the Tech field. Most of them made between 100-200 K- right here in Nebraska or Iowa.
They all had Business degrees- none were techs
Sales guys 100-250K all but 1 had Business backgrounds
I think college degrees are waste for most today. It used to be that if a kid wanted to go to college either the parents could afford it, kid was smart and got a scholarship or the kid worked his butt off to get through it. Now the government gives out student loans like candy and then puts repayment terms on it that will never pay it off.

Your degree does not qualify you for most jobs today your drive and smarts does

I think college degrees are waste for most today. It used to be that is a kid wanted to go to college either the parents could afford it, kid was smart and got a scholarship or the kid worked his butt off to get through it. Now the government gives out student loans like candy and then puts repayment terms on it that will never pay it off.

Your degree does not qualify you for most jobs today your drive and smarts does

I agree to an extent- drive and smarts have ALWAYS been the qualifier
Degree with good grades from a descent school along with some work experience that shows you are a hustler- IN a field that actually has jobs will get you in the door. Then it's up to you to make if from there.

However going for a degree that has few job prospects or job prospects that pay VERY low- is on the person who decides to waste their 4 years and $$ chasing it. That's on the decision maker- chase a fluffy degree that wont get you anywhere- that's on you.

Lots of jobs out there maybe not as fun and glamorous as the fluff degree jobs- but they certainly pay a lot better. Lots of friends kids are working on paid internships- 1 has an employer paying for their last year of college. Good school- good grades- good field- proven work ethic- people are very interested in hiring.

Lots of kids today have been sold on the- do whatever makes you happy- dont worry about money thing. Thats fine- but go to a crappy school in a major that has zero job prospects or low $$ pay- and you cant pay your student loan back- THATS ON YOU .

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
We stunk up the place during the Callahan/Blake regime

People are throwing arrows at NU during the Osborne era

If we were paying kids to come here- man they did an awful job of it. With the exception of a couple of very lucky perfect storms, Osbornes 25 year career at NU usually featured recruiting classes ranked in the lower 20s.

There's a reason NU shied away from competing for players against the likes of OU, Texas, Texas A&M, OKie State etc back in those days, they werent going to pay. Back in those days- the guys on the road would ask the players a series of very non confrontational questions used to determine if they were looking to get paid. When they ran into a kid like that- they backed off. It was in one of those thin books you could buy near the register of the Nebraska Book Store- it had some NU history mixed with spiritual stuff- I think written by Turner Gill or Ron Brown.

And remember- weve had plenty of home grown super stars who grew up dreaming to play for NU- no need to pay them:
Rogers
Crouch
Green
Kinney
Jones
Rimington
Steinkuhler
ENDLESS list

We employed John Blake and Callahan recruited pretty well. Paying a player doesn't mean they perform better.

If Frost & Co. are in SoCal today they should head another 30 minutes east and try to pick up Jeremiah Martin, a 4* DE that is still uncommitted. Long shot for sure, but he has a 6'4" dual-threat QB teammate that put up ridiculous numbers last season (2019 prospect).

Coaches must have heard me! lol

They offered the kid along with two of his teammates today. A LB and a 6'9" WR. All 2019 prospects.

We employed John Blake and Callahan recruited pretty well. Paying a player doesn't mean they perform better.
We may have employed John Blake, but he never pulled any of that stuff here. The NCAA investigated NU thoroughly over it and was completely clean

We may have employed John Blake, but he never pulled any of that stuff here. The NCAA investigated NU thoroughly over it and was completely clean

Whatever happened with Cam Newton at Auburn?

Oh yeah, they were found to be squeeky clean too..

Who, Where and what years?

You’re a fool if you think I am naming names,especially the booster. Anyway, you have already made up your mind as to what you believe, me naming names is not going to change your opinion. If you’re inclined to believe you will believe, if you are inclined to not believe you will not believe either way it does not change what I was witness to.

You’re a fool if you think I am naming names,especially the booster. Anyway, you have already made up your mind as to what you believe, me naming names is not going to change your opinion. If you’re inclined to believe you will believe, if you are inclined to not believe you will not believe either way it does not change what I was witness to.
I was led to believe in the early 70s that local financial institutions were "purchasing" some of the tickets that were given to the players. The better the player, the better the seats he had to sell.....:cool:

All of the recruiting violations happened after he left NU

He's a shady character with a shady past, they don't call him the Black Santa for nothing. Sure he may not have any known violations at Nebraska but does that mean he wasn't bending the rules? This is like me saying I don't run stop signs because I've never been pulled over for it.

This doesn't mean I'm accusing him of anything, I couldn't tell you what Blake did during his time at Nebraska. I'm simply saying that the NCAA finding no wrong doing doesn't mean nothing happened, Blake is still Blake.

I was led to believe in the early 70s that local financial institutions were "purchasing" some of the tickets that were given to the players. The better the player, the better the seats he had to sell.....:cool:

I think we took a slap on the wrist for that is 75..

Oh I agree with the part about inclination, i was asking a logical question.
Touchy touchy tuco.

My former players parents all seem to sit in about the same area- and the seats arent very good- east stadium

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT