ADVERTISEMENT

It's going to take time to 'purge the Pelini' out of this team...

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Great come back by Nebraska and a epic choke job by Miami but silly unforced mental errors that resulted in a ton of penalties and then the turnovers really hurt. Tommy needs to make better decisions throwing the ball. Armstrong had a great game for the most part but he threw two pick's in critical situations that cost NU points. An int. right before halftime and then the int. in overtime. Both times the ball should have been thrown away or get what you can using your feet. These are the same mistakes that were made game after game under Bo Pelini. Mike Riley during his post game presser said that we have to clean up the self inflicted wounds. Same words we heard from Pelini after games. Oh well. Move on next week to So. Miss.

Exactly. This team still plays like a Bo team. Sleep walk for a while, play sloppily, show a few signs of life, go back into a coma, then mount a furious comeback that you never saw coming (think tOSU in '11 or MSU last year). Hopefully, they play with more consistency over time.

Yep, gotta purge that 9/10 wins a year out of the team and put that last place in the Pac 12 mindset into them!!!

Haha Nebraska with Riley is a joke. I almost felt bad for Nebraska today having to be coached by that loser. Still get to get the win, but it is like beating a JV high school team with Riley as the coach. Had Pelini been the coach, Golden would be one step closer to being unemployed. Golden better send Riley a nice Christmas present this year.

Yep, gotta purge that 9/10 wins a year out of the team and put that last place in the Pac 12 mindset into them!!!

Haha Nebraska with Riley is a joke. I almost felt bad for Nebraska today having to be coached by that loser. Still get to get the win, but it is like beating a JV high school team with Riley as the coach. Had Pelini been the coach, Golden would be one step closer to being unemployed. Golden better send Riley a nice Christmas present this year.

The only joke is your pathetic fan base that can only fill about half of the stadium.

Pretty sad that you could have walked up to the stadium at kickoff and bought a ticket for a nationally televised game.

Too bad stupid isn`t painful. Dumbest post of the day and that is saying something.

I actually think there is something to this - gotta learn to play 4 quarters - not pulling it out if the fire in the 4th quarter after 3.5 quarters of pumping a log onto the field. Bo was pretty good and finding a way to win those games.

Maybe Riley can eventually emulate playing down to opponents like BP....better if we show up from the kickoff ready to play.

The only joke is your pathetic fan base that can only fill about half of the stadium.
Miami is the biggest definition of bandwagon fan base. Can't really even call most of them fans. Miami is full of thugs and old people. Thats it.

Not as bad as I feel for you.

Great come back by Nebraska and a epic choke job by Miami but silly unforced mental errors that resulted in a ton of penalties and then the turnovers really hurt. Tommy needs to make better decisions throwing the ball. Armstrong had a great game for the most part but he threw two pick's in critical situations that cost NU points. An int. right before halftime and then the int. in overtime. Both times the ball should have been thrown away or get what you can using your feet. These are the same mistakes that were made game after game under Bo Pelini. Mike Riley during his post game presser said that we have to clean up the self inflicted wounds. Same words we heard from Pelini after games. Oh well. Move on next week to So. Miss.
If by "purge the Pelini team" you mean by winning almost 10 games a year. I will agree. We are off to a great start to be 6-6 if that.

Nah.....he meant not getting worked and embarrassed by every ranked team we play. But he could have also said 'purge the solich or Callahan, too. Either would have worked as well.
Uh huh. I know what he meant. But we are 1-2. That is all the embarrassment we need.

I was so upset earlier and dismayed abouT the makings of what could have been a blowout (in the BP era) and posted things I wish I could take back. After taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture, I couldn't have been more wrong. The adjustments we saw after halftime in the BYU game as well as the 4th quarter today during the rally made me realize this team has something special going on. Did we get the win? No...but the team and especially Tommy showed way more heart than I knew they had. Imagine what he could do with an offensive line that gives him time and doesn't constantly have him under duress.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though we lost, I'm glad we aren't playing cupcakes like South Alabama every week. The blowouts and wins are nice, but in the long run these close games will make our team better and clearly show what we need to work on to be successful. I wouldn't be opposed to burning a few redshirts if Riley felt it necessary. I really do believe our goals of winning our division are still intact, and I think it'll be a fun ride when conference play starts.

If by "purge the Pelini team" you mean by winning almost 10 games a year. I will agree. We are off to a great start to be 6-6 if that.
Pelini had/has a ton of mental issues going on. He is very much a "Me against the world" mentality. That negative and selfish me attitude spread to his players. Under a similar minded coach that translates to winning the easy games and getting destroyed in the big ones. Under a new coach with completely different mindset, that will probably translate to more losses the first few years. Once that mindset is changed and everyone is on the same page it will get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT