ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska recruiting too many running backs?

Bigred511

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
The staff seems like they only like playing 2 rb. Maybe that is because they have 2 home run threats. Frost admitted he underestimated Devine. I think no one predicted he would average 7.5 yards per carry. 3 recruits in 2018 and 3 in 2019. 1 of them Bell already left. You can redshirt a couple next year and move Jones to WR. However, i am not sure a player will want to ride the bench for 3 years. Seems like We have other needs like linebackers.

I think they all have a role. Mills will replace Ozigbo, Thompkins will redshirt and then back him up and Rahmir Johnson is more of the hybrid Duck-R type player, like Miles Jones. We are quickly getting depth at those two spots and all theee of our commits are must take type talents. If we could just recruit every position like we do those, we would be set.

The staff seems like they only like playing 2 rb. Maybe that is because they have 2 home run threats. Frost admitted he underestimated Devine. I think no one predicted he would average 7.5 yards per carry. 3 recruits in 2018 and 3 in 2019. 1 of them Bell already left. You can redshirt a couple next year and move Jones to WR. However, i am not sure a player will want to ride the bench for 3 years. Seems like We have other needs like linebackers.
From this year alone we will lose Ziggy, Bell quit, Wilbon and Bryant retired. So yes we need some running backs.

Washington is great and will continue to be dynamite in this offense. We will need a between the tackles back similar to Ziggy - maybe Washington can evolve into this but he isn't at present. Hopefully Mills will fill this role.

Washington - Mills combo will be very good

Has Mills been injured??

He has not been the featured back for Garden City in 3 of the last 4 games - having seemingly given way to Charles West a 2019 unrated recruit

I think he is missing a comma. .....Wilbon, and Bryant retired.
Ah yes. The old punctuation snafu. Even then I had to check the roster and participation reports. I was thinking Wilbon still had a year. Technically I think he could have redshirted this year but Frost has played him in 6 games.Winking

How many is too many? We are losing a lot of RB this year. We clearly need a minimum of 3 viable RBs not counting the hybrid position. You saw how much the offense had to change once Mo went out and they didn't want to overwork Ozigbo.

Has Mills been injured??

He has not been the featured back for Garden City in 3 of the last 4 games - having seemingly given way to Charles West a 2019 unrated recruit

It does look like he hasn't been the same, or at least had the same production, the last two games, after carrying the ball 44 times against Coffeyville a couple weeks ago. Here is what he has done by week.

24 267
31 66
22 125
26 117
27 240
16 124
22 90
44 262
19 43
5 24

Finished with 1,358 yards, second most in the nation, 29 behind his teammate Charles West, but has really fallen off the last two weeks. Have to wonder if he got banged up in the 44 carry game.

Rhamir Johnson and Dedrick Mills are good contrasts and fill the void left by players we lose for next year. Bradley is still young but so far has been quiet.
With Ronald Thompkins, he’s had two knee injuries two years in a row I think. Coaches did the right thing to honor his scholarship offer, but his future could be more questionable.
I don’t mean he won’t pan out, but it could be an uphill battle for him after missing that much time.
Given that circumstance taking one more back is not ‘necessary’ but also makes sense.
We also lose Mazour after next year and Spielman could go pro early. We already lost Lindsey. Given Frost likes those hybrid guys, I can see us taking more now when looking at the roster in 2 years.

Rhamir Johnson and Dedrick Mills are good contrasts and fill the void left by players we lose for next year. Bradley is still young but so far has been quiet.
With Ronald Thompkins, he’s had two knee injuries two years in a row I think. Coaches did the right thing to honor his scholarship offer, but his future could be more questionable.
I don’t mean he won’t pan out, but it could be an uphill battle for him after missing that much time.
Given that circumstance taking one more back is not ‘necessary’ but also makes sense.
We also lose Mazour after next year and Spielman could go pro early. We already lost Lindsey. Given Frost likes those hybrid guys, I can see us taking more now when looking at the roster in 2 years.

I agree with that. That's why Wandale Robinson would have been such a great pick-up. I wonder who else they're looking at right now?

Picking up Johnson, Mills, and Thompkins in one class is good, though. I would like to see us pick up 1 or 2 more skill players, and then devote the rest of our recruiting spots to linemen.

Is Bradley going to be a player at all?

Where do they have Moses Bryant doing his reps?

I assume Bradley is a RS. I think he has sufficient skills to get in the mix next year. All depends on him.

I agree with that. That's why Wandale Robinson would have been such a great pick-up. I wonder who else they're looking at right now?

We're looking at this kid. Supposedly visiting this weekend. He's from the same town as Adrian, but a different high school:

We desperately need Defensive players!

Reactions: cvogele29
I don't think I've ever heard these coaches even mention Jaylin Bradley. I thought he looked decent when he played sparingly last season.

I second the question on Moses Bryant... I thought he started the fall at RB then moved to DB. Not sure where he has practiced this season. Also, did he end up getting a scholly or no?

The short answer is:

No.

Do you like points and winning?

It does look like he hasn't been the same, or at least had the same production, the last two games, after carrying the ball 44 times against Coffeyville a couple weeks ago. Here is what he has done by week.

24 267
31 66
22 125
26 117
27 240
16 124
22 90
44 262
19 43
5 24

Finished with 1,358 yards, second most in the nation, 29 behind his teammate Charles West, but has really fallen off the last two weeks. Have to wonder if he got banged up in the 44 carry game.

Nobody should be getting 44 carries unless it's a championship game.

Reactions: TFrazier
Moses Bryant was at DB last I heard and getting good reviews from Fisher. He’s smaller, but Fisher said he surprised him (in the fall). No scholly yet.
With limited space remaining it seems we need DL, DB, OL, maybe LB, maybe DuckR... 5 position groups for up to 8-9 spots to fill?
Let’s see these coaches close!

Ty Robinson is big time priority for me.
We’re sitting good with a few DBs I think.
The rest is anyone’s guess I suppose.
I’m ok with a heavier juco lean cus it’ll open up more spots quickly in a couple years when hopefully we’re attracting a larger number of high caliber players.

We need a lot of interchangeable parts on offense RB/slot guys, so it makes sense, and Frost is already establishing himself/Nebraska as a go-to place for guys who want to star in a dynamic offensive system.

As we saw with Bell, kids will move on when they end up on the wrong end of the depth chart, injuries happen, and sometimes the 4.4 HS running RB only runs a 4.6 when on campus

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Moses Bryant was at DB last I heard and getting good reviews from Fisher. He’s smaller, but Fisher said he surprised him (in the fall). No scholly yet.
With limited space remaining it seems we need DL, DB, OL, maybe LB, maybe DuckR... 5 position groups for up to 8-9 spots to fill?
Let’s see these coaches close!

Ty Robinson is big time priority for me.
We’re sitting good with a few DBs I think.
The rest is anyone’s guess I suppose.
I’m ok with a heavier juco lean cus it’ll open up more spots quickly in a couple years when hopefully we’re attracting a larger number of high caliber players.

What is Moses Bryant's speed like?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT