ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting nuggets from today's practice

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
When asked about rugby tackling Diaco said there are lots of different kinds of tackles, sideline tackles, gang tackles, open field tackles and named several other kinds. He didn't seem to be real high on rugby tackling. I hope his apparent opinion of tackling as a fine art leads to really good tackling this year.

Bray said Young is much better suited to the inside. I hope Weber and Dedrick are a wrecking crew in the inside. That group has come a long way from just trying to field players to fill the positions their first year to now being able to move guys where they fit best.

I sure hope Elliott works out because he seems to be a calm, older statesman and really seems to know the game. Of course, I thought the same thing about Coach Elmassian when he showed up.

When asked about rugby tackling Diaco said there are lots of different kinds of tackles, sideline tackles, gang tackles, open field tackles and named several other kinds. He didn't seem to be real high on rugby tackling. I hope his apparent opinion of tackling as a fine art leads to really good tackling this year.

Bray said Young is much better suited to the inside. I hope Weber and Dedrick are a wrecking crew in the inside. That group has come a long way from just trying to field players to fill the positions their first year to now being able to move guys where they fit best.

I sure hope Elliott works out because he seems to be a calm, older statesman and really seems to know the game. Of course, I thought the same thing about Coach Elmassian when he showed up.
Coach E left still praising N. He had moved around a lot, seemed about every two years. His language was very colorful, as reported; I would not have liked it as a parent. Coach Elliott is probably a real asset in all areas, including recruiting . GBR

I hope Dedrick can stay healthy and find his way in the new defense. Has not been an impact tackler in his first two years. Had his share of tackles but rarely can remember him making good stops of ball carriers.

Most parents don't like the game of football...coaching language aside. Sounds like somebody should go play paddycake and make cupcakes if that is a concern.

I don't care how they do it but ready for the defense to staring playing intimidating football again (all "fiddlesticks" aside).

GBR

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Most parents don't like the game of football...coaching language aside. Sounds like somebody should go play paddycake and make cupcakes if that is a concern.

I don't care how they do it but ready for the defense to staring playing intimidating football again (all "fiddlesticks" aside).

GBR

Agreed I could careless what other people think or what Diaco does in terms of tackling. I'm just sick and tired of having a team that can't tackle in open space. We haven't had it since the 2009 defense and before that the 1999 team. That's 18 years with only 2 years I can remember of solid tackling. That's unacceptable at Nebraska.

I think most people keep forgetting D Young started as true freshman and again as a sophmore. Most linebackers arent starting till there RS Sophomores or RS Juniors. Youngs learning on the fly and is a good LB. We can thank those depth issues to Bo Pe. With any depth Young could of red shirted.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think most people keep forgetting D Young started as true freshman and again as a sophmore. Most linebackers arent starting till there RS Sophomores or RS Juniors. Youngs learning on the fly and is a good LB. We can thank those depth issues to Bo Pe. With any depth Young could of red shirted.

Agree somewhat. To me, Young's issues are his lack of physicality at the point of attack. There were plenty of times he was where he needed to be, he just didn't get there with bad intentions. Redshirting wasn't going to fix that.

Agree somewhat. To me, Young's issues are his lack of physicality at the point of attack. There were plenty of times he was where he needed to be, he just didn't get there with bad intentions. Redshirting wasn't going to fix that.

Maybe true but maybe with added strength hed gain from the weight room hes fight off the blocks better or shed them faster. Red shirting can help almost anyone. Most times hes up against rs juniors and rs Seniors who have lived in the weight rooms and been taking college coaching for 3 plus years while he was barely 18 and first year/s in college. He will be fine, lets see how he does this year before fully judging

Comparing the resumes of Elliott and Elmassian is a stretch. The longevity and multiple jobs is comparable, but when you look at all the great defenses Elliott coached on winning Football teams, it kind of seperates himself from Elmassian.

As for Dedrick Young, I can't believe Mark Banker ever saw him as an OLB, especially at the WILL.

After watching DY quit on his teammates and coaches in last years bowl game, I'm hopeful we have better options than DY at linebacker !

After watching DY quit on his teammates and coaches in last years bowl game, I'm hopeful we have better options than DY at linebacker !
I would say if DY quits on his teammates, Diaco won't play him. It's as simple as that.

Coach E left still praising N. He had moved around a lot, seemed about every two years. His language was very colorful, as reported; I would not have liked it as a parent. Coach Elliott is probably a real asset in all areas, including recruiting . GBR

I don't really care how colorful his language was, or how much he praised Nebraska. A very talented secondary played poorly under him. That's the beginning and the end of it for me regarding Coach E.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT