ADVERTISEMENT

Intentional grounding

I just find it funny that the ONLY penalty called on NW was a false start. We had as many penalties in the first 10 seconds as they had the entire game.! They threw it 60+ times without a holding penalty.

Not why we lost though

We surely have had some bad calls and those intentional grounding no-calls today were nuts, but we are sounding like a 1-11 fan base by ragging on officiating. The biggest call of the game was the idiotic roughing the passer at the 1 yard line.

First time in 129 years at 0-6 and we aren't done losing.

The no calls on the intentional grounding and holding were inexcusable. We did plenty to shoot ouselves in the foot, but the officiating was bad enough that it is fair to discuss.

Reactions: mmunso7
I don’t have the time. It was second to last drive for them in regulation. Do you have it?

Here’s the official NCAA rule:

“Quarterback A10, who is not outside the tackle box and is attempting to save yardage, intentionally throws a desperation forward pass that falls incomplete where there is no eligible Team A receiver. RULING: Intentional grounding. Penalty—Loss of down at the spot of the foul. The clock starts on the snap (Rule 3-3-2-d-4) unless Rule 3-4-4 applies.”

I can’t find anywhere where it is specified how close an eligible receiver has to be.

The no calls on the intentional grounding and holding were inexcusable. We did plenty to shoot ouselves in the foot, but the officiating was bad enough that it is fair to discuss.

I think when you get the chance to see the replay on YouTube in a few days, you'll see that the no calls for Intentional Grounding were correct.

I think when you get the chance to see the replay on YouTube in a few days, you'll see that the no calls for Intentional Grounding were correct.

The part I would like clarified in the official rule (See post above) is how close a receiver has to be. It seems critical and isn’t defined anywhere I can find. I am actually curious about this. It seems like it’s whatever a particular official wants it to be.

Here’s the official NCAA rule:

“Quarterback A10, who is not outside the tackle box and is attempting to save yardage, intentionally throws a desperation forward pass that falls incomplete where there is no eligible Team A receiver. RULING: Intentional grounding. Penalty—Loss of down at the spot of the foul. The clock starts on the snap (Rule 3-3-2-d-4) unless Rule 3-4-4 applies.”

I can’t find anywhere where it is specified how close an eligible receiver has to be.

Last week, MSU vs N'western, MSU QB is being tackled in the endzone, throws the ball **at an MSU lineman's feet** ... the call is not intentional grounding (+ safety) but illegal touching of a forward pass. Apparently even the TV announcers thought that was strange.

The NW running back was right where Thorson threw the ball. You don't have to like it, but by rule that isn't grounding. Peyton Manning used to do it all the time.

Since were complaining about intentional grounding, it hard to believe for me that a team can throw 64 freaking passes and not get even one holding penalty..:mad:

Both times the RB was close by and it was the proper call. I just don’t like the rule. It seemed to me that when I was younger, the pass also had to be ‘somewhat’ catchable. Like spiking it at your running backs feet wasn’t going to cut it.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT