ADVERTISEMENT

Football Insider Notes: Scoop from Huskers second scrimmage [UPDATED AUG. 16]

Greg Smith

Blackshirt
Staff
Apr 20, 2017
Lincoln
Nebraska held its second scrimmage on Sunday. It was an important one since it was a great chance for players to impress before the coaches try to solidify a depth chart. Here’s what I am hearing about what happened at the scrimmage after talking with people in and around the program.

>> Casey Thompson had another strong scrimmage on Sunday. He was pretty consistent just like he has been all camp. Chubba Purdy got some looks with the first-team offense on Sunday but it was clear again that Thompson is still leading this race.

>> I’m told once again that the offensive line was much better when run blocking than pass blocking. That’s been a theme all camp which has allowed some running backs to shine. I’m told the top three running backs—Anthony Grant, Gabe Ervin Jr and Rahmir Johnson—have performed well when they have holes to run through.

>> One of the offensive linemen that has had a strong camp is Kevin Williams Jr. He’s been working a lot at right tackle but right now Bryce Benhart is still the starter. We’ll see if Benhart can hold the spot once the season gets going.

>> The sense right now is that the starting secondary will be Quinton Newsome, Tommi Hill, Myles Farmer and Marques Buford Jr.

Hill has big-time potential and could be a breakout player for the Huskers this season. Farmer had a pretty good scrimmage according to sources I’ve talked to.

>> It was talked about on the projected defensive depth chart story Zack did but once again Garrett Nelson and Caleb Tannor are currently the starting EDGE players. Ochaun Mathis will obviously play a lot and have a huge role on the defense. Mathis was disruptive again during the scrimmage and I’m told he made plays against the first and second-team offensive line.

>> Colton Feist finished camp strong with a good scrimmage. He plays with a high motor and good fundamentals. Feist will certainly be in the rotation if not starting next to Ty Robinson in the right defensive situation.

>> It seems like Scott Frost’s happiness with the kicking game is well-placed. The combination of Bill Busch, Timmy Bleekrode and Brian Buschini should improve the Huskers special teams this season.

TUESDAY MORNING UPDATE

>> Turner Corcoran has had a good camp at guard. The left side of the line (plus Hixson in the middle) have been the steadiest part of the offensive line during camp. Most everyone believes that Corcoran’s future if he has one in the NFL is at guard and not tackle.

>> Colton Feist has gotten a lot of love this camp. Sometimes that happens and guys don’t play during games in the fall but expect Feist to be a contributor this season if he stays healthy. The phrase a former player said to me late Monday night was “he’s the most consistent defensive lineman they have.”

>> That might bring up some questions about Nash Hutmacher and how Feist has seemingly passed him up. The answer is simple for now: conditioning. Erik Chinander and Mike Dawson have both noted publicly that Hutmacher is one of the strongest guys on the team but it’s about translating that to the field. Right now it’s all about conditioning and cleaning up his technique.

>> Much has been made about the Ochaun not starting tidbit from before. This is largely going to be situational but the base defense is Nelson and Tannor at the EDGE. It won’t shock anyone that I’m told the team is working ways to get all three players on the field together.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News