ADVERTISEMENT

Implosion

were those the dorms that were infested with bed bugs and they couldnt get rid of them?

UNL Housing actually refurbished the other tall dorm complexes. HSS and Abel-Sandoz have been totally remodeled in recent years. Unfortunately, the first ones built, Cather-Pound, were of an earlier design, and could not be as easily modified. While HSS and Abel had big windows, Cather-Pound had little slivers of windows that made the small rooms dark and unpleasant no matter how you cut it. Thus, implosion. I imagine they will eventually build another "apartment style" hall like The Courtyards in its place.

They really need to ditch Neihardt. What a dump. I know it is more historic or whatever, but it pretty much sucked. Plus, it's haunted.

I don't know when those were built but they were there when I was at UNL in 1978.

The KETV link to the implosion video mentions the buildings have been around for more than 50 years, which means they were built in about 1967 or earlier.

UNL Housing actually refurbished the other tall dorm complexes. HSS and Abel-Sandoz have been totally remodeled in recent years. Unfortunately, the first ones built, Cather-Pound, were of an earlier design, and could not be as easily modified. While HSS and Abel had big windows, Cather-Pound had little slivers of windows that made the small rooms dark and unpleasant no matter how you cut it. Thus, implosion. I imagine they will eventually build another "apartment style" hall like The Courtyards in its place.

They really need to ditch Neihardt. What a dump. I know it is more historic or whatever, but it pretty much sucked. Plus, it's haunted.
IIRC, Neihardt was a former state asylum? Is that why it's haunted?

Patty Ferguson took my innocence in those dorms back in 91. Though they were going to come crashing down that night too.

IIRC, Neihardt was a former state asylum? Is that why it's haunted?

No, Neihardt was only ever a dorm. Lots of ghost stories, though. When I worked at UNL, quite a few staff had offices on the first floor of Neihardt. Maybe at one time they had been rooms, but because of the high-traffic nature of the main hallways (especially being connected to 1,000 students living in Cather-Pound), they made those rooms offices. Anyway, the food service manager was once telling me about the safe in her office. She had a coin-stacking ghost, who would make patterns with the coins at night. They thought it was a prank, so they had a locksmith redo the safe with a combination only known by two people. The coin stacking continued.

I never made much of it, but it is entertaining for those who live there. I just think the group of three old buildings is not very functional any more. Now that the much larger neighbors Cather-Pound are gone, it might be time to tear the older buildings down, and get a nice big footprint to build anything they like.

They could have been remodeled, but the steel structure was found to be never fully welded. It was literally tack welded in places. Knocking them down was faster and easier than completely gutting them to their bones and fixing the actual issues.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
I’m glad I watched the slow motion replay, if only because it ends with what sounds like an evil villain laugh - like Boris Karloff blew up the dorms as part of a diabolical plan!

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
63 I think
I don't think that's all that old for a building that size. But with all the students wanting to live in apartment style dorms, being in a good location, and the other issues mentioned, it was probably time to come down.

I don't think that's all that old for a building that size. But with all the students wanting to live in apartment style dorms, being in a good location, and the other issues mentioned, it was probably time to come down.
I lived in them because they were cheapest and closest to downtown lol.

They could have been remodeled, but the steel structure was found to be never fully welded. It was literally tack welded in places. Knocking them down was faster and easier than completely gutting them to their bones and fixing the actual issues.
Did you hear that or read it somewhere?

Probably not intentional. Back in the day people drank a lot on construction projects.

Did you hear that or read it somewhere?

Probably not intentional. Back in the day people drank a lot on construction projects.
Job related. I know you what you guys think of me, but I know some things sometimes. This is one.

That's what she said.
That sounds familiar. Best 9 seconds of my day.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT