ADVERTISEMENT

Impact of Riley's 4 star players thus far...

Toms Wife

Sophomore
Jan 7, 2017
Jordan Stevenson--Gone (6 kick returns for a 14 yard average...yuck)
Jalin Barnett--Ummmm...
Stanley Morgan--Overall is very good (33 catches, 540 yards, 6 tds)
Khalil Davis--Meh (8 tackles so far this year)
Avery Anderson--MIA (1 game...a tackle)
Eric Lee--OK (Not great in coverage but plays quite a bit with 29 tackles and 2 INTs)

Lamar Jackson--he plays
Dismuke--shows signs of being decent...show signs of being bad (15 tackles and 1 fumble recovery)
POB--a couple nice throws...a couple bad throws
Raridon--kind of in the mix

Blades--gone
Ty Lindsey--A ways to go (10 receptions for 6.2 yards a pop. Threw a nice block)
Guy Thomas--Redshirt I'm guessing
Avery Roberts--barely plays (2 tackles)
Gebbia--redshirt
Keyshawn--Gone
McQuitty--Hurt

Yeah...recruiting has been awesome.

Reactions: rojovibora
We have been sold a bill of great recruiting by our former AD, Riley's friends in the media, and lots and lots of people on this board. This idea of great recruiting simply has proven to be a total mirage. It's not a kicking a guy when he is down. It is showing that this idea of now having great recruits is a complete misnomer. Thus, why in the world would we even think twice about saying, "But what about our great recruits this year?" when deciding whether or not to keep Riley.

Jalin Barnett--Ummmm...
Eric Lee--OK (Not great in coverage but plays quite a bit with 29 tackles and 2 INTs)

Lamar Jackson--he plays
Dismuke--shows signs of being decent...show signs of being bad (15 tackles and 1 fumble recovery)

Blades--gone
Ty Lindsey--A ways to go (10 receptions for 6.2 yards a pop. Threw a nice block)
Gebbia--redshirt
Keyshawn--Gone
McQuitty--Hurt

To be fair, I wouldn't even include 2017 in there yet. WAY to early to tell how that class will turn out. Blades will be gone, but the rest, who knows. Keyshawn may be back, and the rest could be boom or bust at this point. You just never know.

Jalin Barnett--Ummmm...

Lamar Jackson--he plays

Blades--gone
Gebbia--redshirt
Keyshawn--Gone
McQuitty--Hurt

Stanley Morgan, Avery Anderson, Eric Lee and Khalil Davis were all primarily Bo recruits. Riley did convince them to stay.

We have been sold a bill of great recruiting by our former AD, Riley's friends in the media, and lots and lots of people on this board. This idea of great recruiting simply has proven to be a total mirage. It's not a kicking a guy when he is down. It is showing that this idea of now having great recruits is a complete misnomer. Thus, why in the world would we even think twice about saying, "But what about our great recruits this year?" when deciding whether or not to keep Riley.

I agree. This is not kicking a man when he's done but putting to rest the biggest argument that many of the Riley supporters are using for retaining him. These types of posts will continue as long as we are having posts justifying his great recruiting.

Naaahhh...three years of talk about Great recruiting is tiresome when the facts don't match the narrative.

All I recall is posts about his better recruiting than Bo. Riley is certainly getting more higher rated players to look at us.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Jalin Barnett--Ummmm...

Lamar Jackson--he plays

Blades--gone
Gebbia--redshirt
Keyshawn--Gone
McQuitty--Hurt

Yeah, I can't believe true freshman and true sophomores aren't getting it done (eye roll). When people said recruiting has been better I don't think any of them meant our recruits will make significant impacts true freshman/sophomores.

Also why are you only counting the 4* recruits? Should probably include the entire recruiting class because you know, that matters.

Jaimes, Lightbourn, Tre Bryant (really good until injured), Stille, Farniok, Spielman, Dedrick Young, Barry, Ozigbo, Reed, Decker (he was coming no matter who the coach was going to be so not sure I'd count him for Riley).

Jalin Barnett--Ummmm...

Lamar Jackson--he plays

Blades--gone
Gebbia--redshirt
Keyshawn--Gone
McQuitty--Hurt

We all know Riley's done here...

We need more 4* players like David Whitmore (transfer) or Cody Green (transfer) or Chris Williams (transfer) or Dijon Washington (transfer) or Jason Ankrah (19 tackles after 3 years), or Chase Rome (transfer) or Chase Harper (never made it), Braylan Heard (transfer), Brion Carnes (transfer) or even Corey Cooper (part-timer through 3 years, like we currently have).

Thankfully, Callahan had Steinkuhler and Compton committed.

Is there a Lavonte David on the roster? We'll find out with Avery, without Fisher getting injured Lavonte is a back-up.

Is there a Rex Burkhead on the roster? No 4* RB.

Is there a Jemarkus Hardrick on the roster? TBD.

You talk about recruiting classes yet you only select a few recruits. Narrative?
So now your argument is that Riley doesn't do better with the high star guys but can find diamonds in the rough among the three stars? Seriously?

The biggest fallacy of the Riley era is how great his recruiting is. The defense the Riley droolers come up with is comparing it to Bo's. Well sorry, Bo's recruiting wasn't exactly the benchmark of greatness either. The whole "Calibraska" marketing gimmick in the REAL year 1 really suckered in the gullible schmucks in our fan base. Now Riley is some sort magical ace recruiter. Yeah ok. It's very possible and I know this may be unfathomable to some....that both Bo and Riley are just average recruiters and not good enough at developing talent across the board. We could do better.

Naaahhh...three years of talk about Great recruiting is tiresome when the facts don't match the narrative.
The question is are we developing/coaching the talent we get, is it a product of these recruits being overrated or a product of poor coaching... Or both. We should be adding stars to the recruits once they get here by being coached above their talent level, seems to be going the other direction 4 stars playing like 3 stars etc.

So now your argument is that Riley doesn't do better with the high star guys but can find diamonds in the rough among the three stars? Seriously?
Are you serious?

Also, Jaimes, Bryant, Stille, Farniok, Spielman, Dedrick Young, Barry and Ozigbo are NOT diamonds in the rough.

The only DITR would be Reed and maybe Lightbourn (I don't know if Lightbourn was a highly sought after punter and he would obviously never get a 4*).

Last edited:
Stupid argument.

Carlos Davis is the best lineman we have. Is it Rileys fault the recruiting "experts" maybe gave the higher rating to the wrong twin?

Michael Decker is our starting center and doing quite well. Is it Rileys fault the recruiting "experts" evaluated him at guard?

Grade the classes and the kids not some star rating given by some recruiting "experts" that becomes immediately irrelevant the day after they sign their LOI.

Riley's classes are pretty much on par with Pelini's classes.

Stupid argument.

Carlos Davis is the best lineman we have. Is it Rileys fault the recruiting "experts" maybe gave the higher rating to the wrong twin?

Grade the classes and the kids not some star rating given by some recruiting "experts" that becomes immediately irrelevant the day after they sign their LOI.

Not saying you.....but there were a lot of people blaming Bo for recruiting 3 star players and saying he couldn't evaluate talent. I think everyone is missing the point of the thread. It appears the OP is questioning the accuracy of all these claims of great recruiting and basing that claim on the results of these 4 stars so far. Granted the entire class should be evaluated as a whole but everyone has to agree there have been posters on here pushing the 4* viewpoint.

Stupid argument.

Michael Decker is our starting center and doing quite well. Is it Rileys fault the recruiting "experts" evaluated him at guard?

OP is Cherry picking but Davis/Decker committed to Nebraska 8 months before Riley was named HC. Also, who knows if Decker would have ever sniffed the field if Conrad was not injured.

Riley's classes are pretty much on par with Pelini's classes.
On the field I agree. But when you look at offers from other big schools, there really isn’t a comparison. The problem is Riley’s system is too difficult, he can’t develop, he can’t coach, take your pick.

But the number of players we have now who had offers from top 15 programs dwarfs what Pelini did.

Reactions: HuskerO
Overall, the stats of Pelini vs. Riley are about the same. Bo's 2012 class was relatively well regarded and had good contibutors: Cross, VV, TA, Westy, etc. His last class had present starters such as Farmer, Gates, Wilbon, Gifford, Stolt, DPE, DJ, Freedom, Kalu, Chris Jones. The only class that is fair to evaluate for Riley is the 2015 hybrid class. Of the class, the Davis twins, Stan, Young, Decker, Aaron Williams TFerg, Zig, Mo Barry and Alex Davis(?). There are fine players that both coaches have recruited, but none that seem to have real eye popping talent.
To compare, Cally's big 2005 class contained four star busts in Beck, Picou and Chris Brooks, but also had a GOAT in Suh, in addition to Lucky, Dillard, Potter. Suh is an example of making the guys around him better and making the job of the good contributing player easier.

Pin this so in two years we can laugh at what an idiot he is.
Read the title. It is about the impact they have provided so far. It's less than what other schools have received from their last three classes. Plus, I have no doubt that we might see better play from these guys if the coaching is different.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with anything? No one said Riley would out-recruit OSU. My post still holds true.
This isn't rocket science. In your world it should go:

Bo do bad recruiting.
Riley do great recruiting.
Riley good, young players should play at bigger rate (because of Bo bad players) than other schools who have consistent recruiting.

Yet, your world has shown itself not to be reality. That's a fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT