ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm still committed, for now.......................

rgrachek

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
Doesn't that comment just about make your head explode? You might as well say "you're my insurance policy in case something better doesn't come along'.

As such, if players play this game, I have no problem with schools pulling offers if a better player comes along. Maybe it should be "you have an offer, for now.......".

I also have no problem with a player waiting to decide until he has all of his options in front of him, but a commitment needs to be an actual commitment, and not a placeholder. Don't commit if you're undecided!

This would mostly stop if a kid and a school could make a formal agreement early, say January 1 of the kids Junior year in HS. Sure, that's risky on all sides, but recruiting would be a lot easier for all if players were taken off the market at a uniform pace, with only the rare few that the schools are convinced are great players signing that early, with others signing when more data on them is available.

In that scenario, coaches could spend more time evaluating the remaining players and less time trying to hang on to "committed" players. Also, I think that ultimately it would help schools like Nebraska who would be at the top of the pecking order for players who proved themselves their senior year, as the Alabama's and tOSU's of the world would likely be almost full, probably with several players that in retrospect they wish they hadn't signed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News