ADVERTISEMENT

I'm soon to turn 70....

It shows how spoiled we were in the 1980’s and 1990’s..

Devaney and Osborne created a monster for 35 years..
I remember as a kid TO winning all those games and conference titles and people wanted him fired because he couldn't win the big one. Lol. I'd take those years back in a second. We are a joke now.

Looking at the evidence on the table and asking whether we will be relevant in the next 10 years... I'm going to have to say no. We have lost 7 games in a row and let's just be honest - Nebraska is one of the worst P5 programs in the country. That's not an easy hole to dig out of and I've promised myself I'm going to stop fooling myself about it. No more miserable Saturdays until they show a pulse.

I don’t believe we will be relevant again in my lifetime. After we beat Florida, I said I can die a happy man. We were the best “ever”, back to back champs! 1997 was icing on the cake… i knew we would win every week. From Callahan to now, I don’t know if we will win any week. Feel so sad for generations of husker fans who have no idea how great it was to watch the Huskers.

What is a DVD?

Spartan, guess I better get down to see you as I am getting up there myself, these heart pounding games may get to be too much for us old guys.

Reactions: ssmill777
....I know, I know....I look 50...hear it all the time....

Bottom line...assume I make 80....do you look into the crystal ball and see relevance in my lifetime? Or do I continue to relive Tommie, Eric and the crew?
Were you a football fan in 1960?? I know most of us started actually paying attention and really following the game by age 9 or 10….

Looking at the evidence on the table and asking whether we will be relevant in the next 10 years... I'm going to have to say no. We have lost 7 games in a row and let's just be honest - Nebraska is one of the worst P5 programs in the country. That's not an easy hole to dig out of and I've promised myself I'm going to stop fooling myself about it. No more miserable Saturdays until they show a pulse.
we've got that b1g media check cashing party coming up

a must-attend for all proud b1g fans!

Start4ed in 1962...9 years old most of the season...actually cried(hate admitting that) when Monte Deere and the Sooners beat us....
Damn you just missed the Minnesota and Iowa glory years, I was really hoping to hear about 1958-1961. I remember the last time Wisconsin and Nebraska won their conference and finished inside the top 5 in1999, I just don’t know anyone old enough to remember when any other team currently in the bigten west accomplished those in the same season.

Had to go back and verify. Yes, we have lost SEVEN IN A ROW! Yikes

It's possible, but you never know. Minnesota, for example, was a power eons ago and have never returned and never will.
Minnesota came close 2 full seasons ago. Started out 9-0, including a win over 8-0 #4 Penn State. 10-1 going into the last game in an extreme blizzard.

I enjoyed that season. Beating Auburn was fun too. Even though you say it's nothing.

We would have at least won the West last year if Nebraska wouldn't have choked the Iowa game away.

Could legit change in 1-2 years. The right coach changes everything. Rosters can be remade in 1 off-season.
For most schools, but not Nebraska. Point to something from the last decade that indicates our leadership can figure this out? We're enduring another wasted season RIGHT NOW because Trev didn't want to spend an extra $12.5M to fire Frost. That's bad leadership. People seem to trust Trev, I don't. Because if I know ONE thing right now, it would be a way better investment to pay Frost $20M to not coach vs. paying him the same amount to coach.

Damn you just missed the Minnesota and Iowa glory years, I was really hoping to hear about 1958-1961. I remember the last time Wisconsin and Nebraska won their conference and finished inside the top 5 in1999, I just don’t know anyone old enough to remember when any other team currently in the bigten west accomplished those in the same season.
Minnesota glory years were on the middle 1930’s and start of the 1940’s..

And how many people are going to game with you on Saturday and what Husker jersey will you be wearing?

Start4ed in 1962...9 years old most of the season...actually cried(hate admitting that) when Monte Deere and the Sooners beat us....
In 1968, even though I was 15 at the time, I was devastated when OU shut out NU 47-0.

The heighth of my Husker following was the night NU beat LSU to win it all.

Been awhile spartan.

How many losing programs made a coaching change and became a champion quickly?

Not many. Alabama had a few rough season in the mid-1990's and early 2000's, but those were surrounded by ten-win seasons. Every coach before Saban had at least one, which we can't say here.

Oklahoma, had some rough years in the Gibbs/Schnellenberger/Blake revolving door, but that was really only five down years, and Blake left the cupboard fairly stacked for Stoops to lift the crystal football in his second season.

USC alternated good and bad seasons until Pete Carroll got there and won championships.

But what do all of those teams have in common? They all dominate recruiting in the most talent-rich areas of the country. Even if Nebraska started owning Denver/Kansas City/St. Louis/Minneapolis, which they won't, I don't see them having access to that kind of talent. Ever.

What Nebraska needs is a coach who can build long-term success. Scott Frost is not that guy. He's not a student of the game. He's not known for his attention to detail. He doesn't have a clear vision for the program. He doesn't command the respect of his assistants. He's not the guy you can build a program around.

Last edited:
What is a DVD?

Spartan, guess I better get down to see you as I am getting up there myself, these heart pounding games may get to be too much for us old guys.
I miss the old days of just good old hardnosed football. Every game, with a handful of exceptions, NU was just so hard to beat because Bob and Tom seemed to always have them ready.

I haven't seen NU grab a good team by the throat in the first quarter and just strangle the life out of them by halftime. I miss that. LOL

Reactions: BleedRed78
How many losing programs made a coaching change and became a champion quickly?

Not many. Alabama had a few rough season in the mid-1990's and early 2000's, but those were surrounded by ten-win seasons. Every coach before Saban had at least one, which we can't say here.

Oklahoma, had some rough years in the Gibbs/Schnellenberger/Blake revolving door, but that was really only five down years, and Blake left the cupboard fairly stacked for Stoops to lift the crystal football in his second season.

USC alternated good and bad seasons until Pete Carroll got there and won championships.

But what do all of those teams have in common? They all dominate recruiting in the most talent-rich areas of the country. Even if Nebraska started owning Denver/Kansas City/St. Louis/Minneapolis, which they won't, I don't see them having access to that kind of talent. Ever.

What Nebraska needs is a coach who can build long-term success. Scott Frost is not that guy. He's not a student of the game. He's known for his attention to detail. He doesn't have a clear vision for the program. He doesn't command the respect of his assistants. He's not the guy you can build a program around.
Frost doesn't pay attention to detail.

Bottom line...assume I make 80....do you look into the crystal ball and see relevance in my lifetime? Or do I continue to relive Tommie, Eric and the crew?
Use the 1995 GOAT shirt as the "sock" and some EC highlights as the "inspiration".

Heck I’m 10 years behind you I can remember the 1971 orange bowl, but I was just born when Nebraska hired Bob Devaney but my dad told the story of how Nebraska football sucked for 20 plus years prior to his hiring. But I really beginning to have my doubts that we’ll be contending for a conference championship before I check out. Hopefully God has a continuous 1971 or 1995 season in heaven we’d never get tired of it always great

I type too fast. Missed the not. A typo claiming Frost has attention to detail could cause someone to choke on their own spit. Very dangerous. Sorry for the confusion.
Actually, I misread what you typed, so my mistake. All you said up to that point made total sense, and then my brain read about him paying attention to detail. Didn't jive. LOL

I'll just be glad when the Frost decision is made, NU inherits a new coach and then see how we react.

Honestly, if they give us one of those Kris Klieman, middle of the road 7-8 wins a year guys, I'll just have to take a hike.

In a selfish way, and maybe not a realistic way, this program ****ING owes it to us fans to give it the very best effort to put this program on the map again. We've stuck with those SOB's for 2 decades and have jackshit to show for it. Fans keep filling up the stadium, buying the t-shirts and hats and traveling to away games.

We've (by choice) wasted all of our emotional energy trying to get another taste of some real winning. Now we are in a league where OSU is miles ahead of NU, Mich/PSU on given years can be brutal to beat, and so the outlook for national relevance seems miles away.

NU has screwed around hiring "good coaches" when in fact, it took 2 great coaches to help this middle of the country University build the powerhouse it became. It was done once, and Devaney did it and established the foundation, Tom further strengthened it, and it has all tumbled to shit due to lack of maintenance.

It's never been because the money wasn't available, it was because we quit demanding excellence and instead rewarded the bullshit product to continue to make money under the guise of supporting something that we were all proud of.

Who the fvck keeps a head coach who has 4 losers in a row, maybe headed for 5 in a row? Only NU.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It's possible, but you never know. Minnesota, for example, was a power eons ago and have never returned and never will.
That's just wishful thinking for you. Probably no natty's soon, but should start winning the West with regularity, maybe win a game in the expanded playoff.

Tough loss, but from a non-fan point of view, Nebraska football is some of the best entertainment on TV!

yes. anytime there was a World War, you can guarantee minnesota "won" a football title while the rest of the country's best and brightest were saving humanity.

cowards.
Yes, did the med schools ever recover from losing all their students to front line infantry? Just imagine where we'd be if all the Einsteins that went to war stayed home and studied.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaHogeyeDoosh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT