ADVERTISEMENT

If the naritive is it's not possible to win in lincoln,

"Can't win in Lincoln." Ok. Besides tOSU, name me a team in the North that has won a Natty since the 90s? You can be a successful program in Lincoln. We did it just fine for 25 years between Natties (and 10 before that with BOB, and probably 5 after TO). You take a pile of shit coaches since TO left and then say the reason we don't win is recruiting and geography? Good grief. S-H-I-T C-O-A-C-H-E-S. NU is BAD at hiring. BAD.

We can only hope TA can figure it out.

Reactions: king_kong_
"Can't win in Lincoln." Ok. Besides tOSU, name me a team in the North that has won a Natty since the 90s? You can be a successful program in Lincoln. We did it just fine for 25 years between Natties (and 10 before that with BOB, and probably 5 after TO). You take a pile of shit coaches since TO left and then say the reason we don't win is recruiting and geography? Good grief. S-H-I-T C-O-A-C-H-E-S. NU is BAD at hiring. BAD.

We can only hope TA can figure it out.
since our last title in '97, ohiost is the only 'northern' program to win a title (x2)

this is not a coincidence

A bit or revisionist history here. Yes, Bob did turn the program around when he came in 1962 after being let go by Wyo. He had some very good seasons and was 47-8 in his first 5 years at Nebraska. Then he had some stinker years of 6-4 twice and the talk began. So he wasn't exactly trending in the right direction. Then he hires Tom and the rest, as they say, is history. They go on to win the NC in 70-71.

The simple answer is yes, Bob did win at Nebraska but he needed someone like Tom to get him over the top when the sledding got rough in 67-68 which Tom not only did but continued to do for many more years.
Devaney was not let go by Wyoming. They were mad that he left

Maybe before you cut off your Texas recruiting pipeline as well as the partial qualifiers
I think thats a myth...we allways had a handfull of texas players..
and the partial qualifers thing was over blown too

It's possible, but look at the talent the state of Nebraska produced in the 90s. It was insane. You had a Heisman trophy winner. Linemen on both sides with incredible NFL careers. Superbowl winning running backs. This state has not put out anything remotely close to that since that time frame.
It irritated Rhule that FCS players from Nebraska were being drafted in the NFL draft. I think he is saying that previous coaches lacked recognizing talent and developing it...

It irritated Rhule that FCS players from Nebraska were being drafted in the NFL draft. I think he is saying that previous coaches lacked recognizing talent and developing it...
Did T.O. identify 100% of the talent?

The point remains the state has not produced the level of talent as it did in the 90s.

I think the conventional wisdom is that the game changed somewhat in the 2000s: The SEC became the center of gravity of the CFB world, everyone's games are televised, strength training became ubiquitous, power/option football was no longer a thing in P5, etc. If you are not in the SEC, only certain recruiting powers like tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, maybe ND, FSU & USC have a chance to compete at the highest levels. It remains to be seen how far Nebraska can go in this era with good coaching.
I just put forth the question cause some folks I listen to make it like saying, people can't cross the alantic anymore cause the spirit of st louis is in the smithsonian..I think rhule has it right, if everyone pulls in the right direction, it can happen again....it's not impossible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT