ADVERTISEMENT

I Want Your Best

Dec 5, 2001
I'm hoping Wandale and Martinez both play.

I'm from Louisville, and Wandale played his high school ball just up the road.

But mostly, I need a reckoning.
IM Hipp ruined my childhood.

We don't know which of our QB's will play.

My complete guess is Penix, but he didn't finish 2 games (Eastern Illinois and Maryland) and DNP in 2 more (OSU and Maryland), so who knows. He gets it out quick and has a gun - when he plays. Our offense is very efficient - when he plays.

Back-up/former starter QB Ramsey is a coaches dream, except no gun. Rumored to be the second-fastest guy on the team. Sometimes holds it too long. The knock on him seems to be "can't throw it through that small red-zone window."

Our run game has under-performed on the season. OL is getting better, but we lost our senior leader. RB's are good. Stevie Scott has telephone poles for thighs. Power - yes. Break-away speed - no.

WR's are usually very good, but we have inexplicable drops when wide open.

Defense gets a little pressure on a QB - not consistent. Pretty good against the run.
LB's (we play a 4-2-5, using a hybrid LB/safety we call a husky) are nice size but not fast enough. Husky is faster, but not big enough.
Corners are spotty - sometimes GREAT - sometimes a flag on every play.
Watch freshman corner Mullen. He's gonna be All-Big Ten.
Safety is the same - spotty. Great play followed by mistake for TD.

Overall, defense flies around.

We hope we are good enough to beat what we see as a less-than-Nebraska Nebraska.
"Get 'em while they are still down" kinda thing.
We need wins to build confidence, go bowling and keep improving recruiting, but getting 2 conference road games in a row would be highly unusual.

We had a basketball coach who said "victory favors the team that makes the fewest mistakes."
I'm hoping it will be the kind of game where that is true, where both teams can win if they play well, and that we don't lose by mistake.

PS - I'm a Lincoln man.
04327_GLC_med.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hoping Wandale and Martinez both play.

I'm from Louisville, and Wandale played his high school ball just up the road.

But mostly, I need a reckoning.
IM Hipp ruined my childhood.

We don't know which of our QB's will play.

My complete guess is Penix, but he didn't finish 2 games (Eastern Illinois and Maryland) and DNP in 2 more (OSU and Maryland), so who knows. He gets it out quick and has a gun - when he plays. Our offense is very efficient - when he plays.

Back-up/former starter QB Ramsey is a coaches dream, except no gun. Rumored to be the second-fastest guy on the team. Sometimes holds it too long. The knock on him seems to be "can't throw it through that small red-zone window."

Our run game has under-performed on the season. OL is getting better, but we lost our senior leader. RB's are good. Stevie Scott has telephone poles for thighs. Power - yes. Break-away speed - no.

WR's are usually very good, but we have inexplicable drops when wide open.

Defense gets a little pressure on a QB - not consistent. Pretty good against the run.
LB's (we play a 4-2-5, using a hybrid LB/safety we call a husky) are nice size but not fast enough. Husky is faster, but not big enough.
Corners are spotty - sometimes GREAT - sometimes a flag on every play.
Watch freshman corner Mullen. He's gonna be All-Big Ten.
Safety is the same - spotty. Great play followed by mistake for TD.

Overall, defense flies around.

We hope we are good enough to beat what we see as a less-than-Nebraska Nebraska.
"Get 'em while they are still down" kinda thing.
We need wins to build confidence, go bowling and keep improving recruiting, but getting 2 conference road games in a row would be highly unusual.

We had a basketball coach who said "victory favors the team that makes the fewest mistakes."
I'm hoping it will be the kind of game where that is true, where both teams can win if they play well, and that we don't lose by mistake.

PS - I'm a Lincoln man.
04327_GLC_med.jpg
Good post thanks for stopping in. Since you gave us breakdown of the good and bad for your team I guess I can do the same.

QB postition- Bad
RB position- Bad
WR postition- Very Bad
D line- Bad
O line- Very Very Very Bad
DB- Bad
LB- Very Bad
Special teams- Very Very Very Bad
TE- Bad

I kid I kid, but seriously Nebraska is not a very good team right now. There is a reason you are a -3 point fav on the road against us.

Reactions: Huskred01
Good post thanks for stopping in. Since you gave us breakdown of the good and bad for your team I guess I can do the same.

QB postition- Bad
RB position- Bad
WR postition- Very Bad
D line- Bad
O line- Very Very Very Bad
DB- Bad
LB- Very Bad
Special teams- Very Very Very Bad
TE- Bad

I kid I kid, but seriously Nebraska is not a very good team right now. There is a reason you are a -3 point fav on the road against us.
THey aren't a 3 point fav

Well, a lot at stake for both teams. Many think this is our last winnable home game and a must game to get 2 more wins for bowl eligibility. So I'd expect the team to pull out all the stops after a bye week to get ready. On the down side, we have injuries in some key positions that make the outcome unclear. Earlier in the week at -3 IU and now -1 NEB tells you all you need to know.

Special teams and turnovers may very well decide this one.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT