ADVERTISEMENT

I think Dylan has a strong arm

That’s the only criticism evaluators have had on his highlight reel. He showed us he can throw the deep route better than most NFL QBs, but what about slants, hitches, digs, crossers. With that arm strength he definitely has the ability, just haven’t seen it from him a ton.
Hasn't probably had to

Dylan is gonna literally take the top off of the defenses in this conference and that's all of them as the B1G hasn't seen a QB like this ever and that's saying alot with guys Miller, Barrett, Fields, Stroud any of them and if he turns out to be what we think he is, he may very well just become the GOAT QB in B1G history. It's still way to early to put a stamp on what I just said. I wish nothing but full health for him during his career here.

Last edited:
Where's @oldjar07 to chime in with some kind of bitch about his throwing motion or quote one of his old posts from 4 years ago about how he's always right. Sick
I was the first person to say Raiola could throw bombs like it's nothing. There's nothing to bitch about and I never bitch about anything that isn’t justified.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Well I don't think anybody who has watched any of his film would ever say otherwise about arm strength. That's a given. The question now is how fast can a true freshmen QB adjust to reading B1G defenses. That won't be known for sure until the actual games in the Fall.

Gebbia. Oldjar 💘 ‘s Gebbia, more than anything.
Then why are you the only one who constantly brings up his name? Don't project your own unhealthy obsessions on me. I haven't given one shit about him since he left 5 years ago.

Throwing the football 70+ yards is never to be underestimated. Flacco did it against the Broncos and went to the Superbowl, as Denver's secondary went slack at that distance. That Long "Wasp" throw by Mahomes to Tyreek Hill in the Superbowl took all the wind of out the 49er's sails (who were leading). However, Dylan is known also for his accuracy and ability to make "all throws".

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’m excited to see this kid play some downs, see him toss the ball with someone in his face. I think it’s awesome he can toss the ball that far, he definitely has pro arm strength, my question is does he know when to take some of the heat off the toss? To be truly great he’ll have to learn when to use touch passes, and when to send it… I’m sure he won’t be perfect year one, but I can’t wait to see him grow

I’m excited to see this kid play some downs, see him toss the ball with someone in his face. I think it’s awesome he can toss the ball that far, he definitely has pro arm strength, my question is does he know when to take some of the heat off the toss? To be truly great he’ll have to learn when to use touch passes, and when to send it… I’m sure he won’t be perfect year one, but I can’t wait to see him grow
I hear this sentiment a fair amount, and understandably so. My question is this… if he has been working with a QB coach for several years, isn’t this something that a QB coach would want to develop as well? In other words, there’s an awful lot of handwringing over something that may not be as big of a concern once we see him play.

Don’t misunderstand, I expect there to be growing pains, but my hope is this is something else he has been working on over the years.

To be honest Dylan is most likely Matt Rhule's program changing Tommie Frazier, just like Frazier changed Osborne's and DONU's fortunes back in the day imo. I will compare this to back in the day!

Reactions: BleedRed78
To be honest Dylan is most likely Matt Rhule's program changing Tommie Frazier, just like Frazier changed Osborne's and DONU's fortunes back in the day imo. I will compare this to back in the day!
not in any stretch close to compare joining a perenial 9 win team to joining perenial loser

We finally have an actual QB sure there will be a learning curve. The fact remains he has the best passing ability this program has had in a very long time

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Looked effortless.
You should have seen Baylor Scheirman (SP) from Aurora. He would have had no problem throwing the ball 70 and he was throwing 50 yard frozen ropes in warmups and then pummeled us throughout the game with ridiculous throws.

I coached a kid once who threw it 72 only to be outdone by our head coach that launched one 74. Stupid.

Lots of kids can chuck it that far. But can they hit a target? Especially in the short and intermediate game. That will remain to be seen.

You should have seen Baylor Scheirman (SP) from Aurora. He would have had no problem throwing the ball 70 and he was throwing 50 yard frozen ropes in warmups and then pummeled us throughout the game with ridiculous throws.

I coached a kid once who threw it 72 only to be outdone by our head coach that launched one 74. Stupid.

Lots of kids can chuck it that far. But can they hit a target? Especially in the short and intermediate game. That will remain to be seen.
That's the key. Our QB in HS had a rocket, but had zero accuracy. Same thing with his pitching in baseball. Threw absolute smoke, but couldn't throw a strike.

You should have seen Baylor Scheirman (SP) from Aurora. He would have had no problem throwing the ball 70 and he was throwing 50 yard frozen ropes in warmups and then pummeled us throughout the game with ridiculous throws

Couldn't agree more. Accuracy is key. Raiola's completion percent and low level of interceptions while attending different high schools would indicate he's also accurate.

Polynesian bowl thread has a recap from yesterday saying Raiola had great accuracy on the deep ball as well as touch and accuracy on the shorter routes as well.

As I posted in another thread, he’s been working with a QB coach for several years now. Do people think the coaching only focuses on the long ball? No short and intermediate routes, timing routes and the like? Guess we’ll all find out together, but you don’t get to be the top QB in America and can’t hit the receiver in the flat or a slant.

I think this concern is a bit overinflated. And BTW, what was Baylor Scheierman’s QB ranking coming out of high school?

I saw him. Also saw him shooting from halfcourt in warmups and it looked effortless as he was draining them. Biggest miss by Hoiberg since he got here and that's saying something.

Reactions: cavalot
Dylan is gonna literally take the top off of the defenses in this conference and that's all of them as the B1G hasn't seen a QB like this ever and that's saying alot with guys Miller, Barrett, Fields, Stroud any of them and if he turns out to be what we think he is, he may very well just become the GOAT QB in B1G history. It's still way to early to put a stamp on what I just said. I wish nothing but full health for him during his career here.
Big 10 is different now . Texas has two 5 stars with Manning as highly thought of as Raiola sitting in the wings. Oregon and Washington normally field top QB’s let’s hope he gets off and running early.

Polynesian bowl thread has a recap from yesterday saying Raiola had great accuracy on the deep ball as well as touch and accuracy on the shorter routes as well.

As I posted in another thread, he’s been working with a QB coach for several years now. Do people think the coaching only focuses on the long ball? No short and intermediate routes, timing routes and the like? Guess we’ll all find out together, but you don’t get to be the top QB in America and can’t hit the receiver in the flat or a slant.

I think this concern is a bit overinflated. And BTW, what was Baylor Scheierman’s QB ranking coming out of high school?
I don’t think anyone on this board is not excited to have him and understands his ability is very high. I do think as with any QB no matter how talented there is an adjustment to big time college football

I have no idea what his QB ranking was. Probably not much as he wasn't interested in playing it at the next level. I doubt he went to a lot of camps.

Im not saying that Railoa can't throw the under routes. But in watching his highlights there was a great emphasis on his down field throws. I didn't see a lot of underneath lasers being exhibited. There is a reason he is highly touted but there was a reason Harrison Beck was too.

Im excited for his potential and the enthusiasm that he brings to our base, but im guarded with my expectations for reasons that are all to familiar.

I have no idea what his QB ranking was. Probably not much as he wasn't interested in playing it at the next level. I doubt he went to a lot of camps.

Im not saying that Railoa can't throw the under routes. But in watching his highlights there was a great emphasis on his down field throws. I didn't see a lot of underneath lasers being exhibited. There is a reason he is highly touted but there was a reason Harrison Beck was too.

Im excited for his potential and the enthusiasm that he brings to our base, but im guarded with my expectations for reasons that are all to familiar.

Harrison Beck wasn't in Dylan Raiola's universe as a recruit. He was rated much closer to a Chubby Purdy or Cody Green.

Reactions: cavalot

Why show 7 yard slants when you can make a highlight reel of 40 yard + dimes that is longer than some kids regular highlight reel? I watched a few of his full games at one point, maybe I'll have to see if he has any Buford ones up.

His highlights against Mountain View hs last fall are almost comical. Escaping and throwing dimes. Some on the run. Only 1 bomb. I don't doubt at all that he can make every throw. I think NU fans need to be prepared to be shocked by what a real passing qb looks like.

That's the key. Our QB in HS had a rocket, but had zero accuracy. Same thing with his pitching in baseball. Threw absolute smoke, but couldn't throw a strike.
Sounds like my kid currently. Looks like a Major League pitcher about 10% of the time. The rest of the time he is walking people

Reactions: leodisflowers
Harrison Beck wasn't in Dylan Raiola's universe as a recruit. He was rated much closer to a Chubby Purdy or Cody Green.
Look at this list....https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.co...rback-dylan-raiola-all-time-recruit-rankings/

There is a reason Im guarded about any prospect until proven. Again don't get me wrong. Im super happy we have him. But if I've learned anything over the last 20 years of Husker Football..... It's that crowning a Messiah (the husker fan way) before they take a snap in college football, is a sure fire way to be disappointed.

Look at this list....https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.co...rback-dylan-raiola-all-time-recruit-rankings/

There is a reason Im guarded about any prospect until proven. Again don't get me wrong. Im super happy we have him. But if I've learned anything over the last 20 years of Husker Football..... It's that crowning a Messiah (the husker fan way) before they take a snap in college football, is a sure fire way to be disappointed.
I hear ya… But we can’t be wrong 100% of the time. This time, I believe we nailed it. :)

I hear ya… But we can’t be wrong 100% of the time. This time, I believe we nailed it. :)
Well we did hit on Suh!

I think he will be a really good player for us. He is coming in with high expectations, but honestly if he can play well enough to get us to a bowl game most people will be satisfied for the moment. Unfortunately and fortunately, no one with any sense believes that he will lead us to a championship in his time here. The team just simply isn't there yet. But hopefully his presence will lead to bigger things down the road, and get the ball rolling for the next decade.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well we did hit on Suh!

I think he will be a really good player for us. He is coming in with high expectations, but honestly if he can play well enough to get us to a bowl game most people will be satisfied for the moment. Unfortunately and fortunately, no one with any sense believes that he will lead us to a championship in his time here. The team just simply isn't there yet. But hopefully his presence will lead to bigger things down the road, and get the ball rolling for the next decade.
You never know… I gotta believe that with Raiola at QB working over the recruits, and with the NIL work we seem to be doing, recruiting will improve, maybe significantly.

It isn’t out of the realm of possibility that we could bring in enough talent to compete for championships.

But then again, I may be one of the ones with no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT