ADVERTISEMENT

I Need Some (Meme) Ammo For Texas Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nebraska has always been the better program, with less resources, and that won't change.

Bzzzt. That's a negative. Texas had more national championships than Nebraska all the way until 1994. In the entire AP era, Nebraska has only had a better win percentage than Texas from 1936-42 and from 1997 to midway through the 2004 season. Texas still has almost 50% more top-five finishes than Nebraska. (Texas was also the financially poorer program from the mid-1980s until the formation of the Big 12.) We'll get our house in order soon enough and take our rightful place ahead of Nebraska historically, where we've been for most of college football history.

Nebraska has been irrelevant for almost the entire 21st century. No more huge Boyd Epley advantage. No more partial qualifiers. No more all-time great career coach. Recruits were still breastfeeding the last time Nebraska did anything of note nationally (if playing in one of the three least competitive MNC games of the BCS era counts). The realities of residing in a football talent wasteland aren't going away. Nebraska's days of relevance on the national stage are permanently over. Nebraska has a lovely past and a bleak future for anyone hoping for a return to greatness. In 2050, you'll still be reminiscing about that last great run to the national championship in the late 20th century. I know it, and you know it, even if it would kill you to admit it.

Bzzzt. That's a negative. Texas had more national championships than Nebraska all the way until 1994. In the entire AP era, Nebraska has only had a better win percentage than Texas from 1936-42 and from 1997 to midway through the 2004 season. Texas still has almost 50% more top-five finishes than Nebraska. (Texas was also the financially poorer program from the mid-1980s until the formation of the Big 12.) We'll get our house in order soon enough and take our rightful place ahead of Nebraska historically, where we've been for most of college football history.

Nebraska has been irrelevant for almost the entire 21st century. No more huge Boyd Epley advantage. No more partial qualifiers. No more all-time great career coach. Recruits were still breastfeeding the last time Nebraska did anything of note nationally (if playing in one of the three least competitive MNC games of the BCS era counts). The realities of residing in a football talent wasteland aren't going away. Nebraska's days of relevance on the national stage are permanently over. Nebraska has a lovely past and a bleak future for anyone hoping for a return to greatness. In 2050, you'll still be reminiscing about that last great run to the national championship in the late 20th century. I know it, and you know it, even if it would kill you to admit it.
If we've only been better than Texas for 15 years how is it that you haven't buried us overall? 6 more total wins and 1 percentage point better winning percentage overall... You would think a talent laden state such as Texas would be light years ahead of the wasteland that is Nebraska.

It's not a given that Texas will overcome TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Houston anytime soon, either. I would say that you should, but it's not a given.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Nebraska has just as much or more tradition than Texas does, and we are the only show in the state. Texas is routinely losing recruits to all of the other in state programs and the longer that goes on, the harder it will be to recover.

Again, Texas has a lot of advantages that Nebraska doesn't, meaning a turnaround is easily possible, but I don't think it will be as easy as you say.

If we've only been better than Texas for 15 years how is it that you haven't buried us overall? 6 more total wins and 1 percentage point better winning percentage overall

If you're actually interested in knowing, it's very simple.

Texas was quite far ahead of Nebraska in all-time wins and win percentage all the way through the 1970s and 1980s. After 1983, however, Texas fell on hard times for a variety of mostly interrelated reasons, including, but not limited to:
  • (1) UT academics' war on the athletics program in the mid-1980s, resulting in the imposition of academic qualification standards higher than the NCAA minimums for more than a decade, which partially choked off the flow of talent;
  • (2) the impact of the TV rights deregulation (shifting control over TV rights negotiation from the NCAA to the conferences), which inflicted an eventually fatal wound on the demographically puny SWC;
  • (3) the rapid financial impoverishment of the athletics program thereafter and the resultant inability to pay for top-tier coaches (John Cooper was eager to come to Texas in 1987 until he found out that we couldn't outbid his employer at the time -- mighty Arizona State) or to maintain even marginally adequate facilities;
  • (4) the flight of talent from the state of Texas to programs in conferences with greater TV exposure; and
  • (5) the loss of access to the talent that didn't flee the state to the SWC programs that engaged in the most egregious rulebreaking during the 1980s and 1990s (SMU, A&M, Houston).
There were other factors, but these are the most significant as to how Nebraska was able to catch up to and briefly surpass Texas in wins and win percentage.

At the end of 1983, Texas had an AP-era record of 363-138-12 (.719) to Nebraska's record of 312-181-12 (.630). But while Texas was about to wander in the wilderness for the next decade and a half, Nebraska would simultaneously put together the best period in its history. By 1997, NU caught Texas in win percentage. In the mid-1990s, UT academics' hostility to the athletics program subsided (as more of them began to understand that a more successful athletics program meant more donations not only to athletics but to the academic side as well) and Texas joined the Big 12, resolving all of the impediments to success previously mentioned, and before long Texas began to perform at a high level again -- until six seasons ago, of course.

It's not a given that Texas will overcome TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Houston anytime soon, either. I would say that you should, but it's not a given.

True, nothing's ever a given. But the combination of resources, unmatched brand power, proximity to elite talent hotbeds, and traditional-power status (along with the attractiveness of Austin and the status of the University) give Texas pretty nice fundamentals when it comes to long-term projections -- and certainly far more so than those of Baylor, TCU, and UH.

Mack Brown let the program rot around him in his final years, and the rebuild is taking some time. Strong is about to pull in a very impressive 2016 class -- likely the best in the state and in the Big 12 -- to go along with his last, and whoever is coaching in 2017 is going to have considerably more elite talent to work with than Texas has had at any time this decade. It's not hard or unreasonable to imagine much better times in the near future. And if Texas can out-recruit the rest of the state and its conference currently, it's reasonable to think that recruiting will be back among the very best in the country again (as in top three to five) with a return to strong on-field performance.

Sure, some factor or another could always screw things up for a while, but the underlying program fundamentals are good reasons to expect that the program will find its stride again before long.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Nebraska has just as much or more tradition than Texas does, and we are the only show in the state. Texas is routinely losing recruits to all of the other in state programs and the longer that goes on, the harder it will be to recover.

I don't have any problem admitting that Nebraska has great tradition or greater tradition than Texas. My point is simply than even in recent history that was not the case, that the programs are closer in that regard than NU fans would like to admit, and that, considering current program fundamentals, the smart money would say that it won't remain the case in perpetuity.

Last edited:
Bzzzt. That's a negative. Texas had more national championships than Nebraska all the way until 1994.

Stop yourself, college football didn't end in 1994. As of today, and as of tomorrow as well as the near and distant future, Nebraska has more national titles. Everyone laughs at Tejas.

Stop yourself, college football didn't end in 1994. As of today, and as of tomorrow as well as the near and distant future, Nebraska has more national titles. Everyone laughs at Tejas.

LOL. Did you forget what you wrote that prompted the statement? Stop yourself. Re-read it. Good boy.

lAs of today, and as of tomorrow as well as the near and distant future, Nebraska has more national titles.

You can keep saying it, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not actually dumb enough to believe it. ;)

Everyone laughs at Tejas.

Everyone's been laughing at Nebraska for essentially the entire 21st century -- well, at least those that haven't forgotten about NU altogether.

"Well, we were better than you until you got better than us!"

Laughing

LOL. Trying to give you a chance here. Don't let me down.

What was the claim that prompted my response? This is an untimed exam, so please don't trip yourself up by hurrying unnecessarily.

LOL. Trying to give you a chance here. Don't let me down.

What was the claim that prompted my response? This is an untimed exam, so please don't trip yourself up by hurrying unnecessarily.
Oh I see the original statement you responded to. Still weak.

LOL. Did you forget what you wrote that prompted the statement? Stop yourself. Re-read it. Good boy.

You can keep saying it, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not actually dumb enough to believe it. ;)

Everyone's been laughing at Nebraska for essentially the entire 21st century -- well, at least those that haven't forgotten about NU altogether.

I couldn't care less Tejas won titles 40 or so years apart, but that does bolster my stance. Nebraska has won more, played in more and has more success than Tejas over a very long period of time. Dem are da facts, good boy.

Tejas is the laughing stock of college football, all that money and less to show for it.

Laughing for one decade is worse than laughing for 3 decades, "LOL".

The best team of the past 50 years is the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

The Cornhuskers finished in the top 10 28 times.

Throw in some Heisman Trophy winners along with players so skilled there are trophies named after them.

Five times Nebraska won the National Championship, winning back to back titles in 1970 and '71 as well as 1994 and '95.

The 1971 Nebraska team is considered the greatest college football team of alltime (see pictured).

The 1995 team is discussed in the same company. Before losing to Miami in the Orange Bowl, the 1983 Cornhuskers were considered one of the greatest teams of alltime.

The great coach Bob Devaney led his Cornhuskers to 101 wins against only 20 losses during his 1962-1972 tenure, an 83 percent winning clip. Toss out the two 6-4 squads of 1967 and '68 and Devaney was 89-12 for a Rockne-like 88 winning percent.

After turning over his Nebraska program to assistant Tom Osborne, the Cornhuskers continued to be successful. Dr. Tom won 255 games over his 25 year stay while losing 49. Another 83 percent winning rate.

During Coach Devaney's 11 seasons at the helm he led Nebraska to eight Big 8 Conference Championships, a stunning 72 percent championship rate.

During Tom Osborne's 25 seasons he led Nebraska to 13 Conference Titles, continuing the conference domination at better than a 50 percent rate.

The lists of stars to play for the Cornhuskers is numbing to the senses.

There is no doubt about it, Nebraska is the team of the past half century.

Here's your bowl era seasons. Hmmmmm... See's like NU has had more success.

70's:
1. Oklahoma: 102-13-3 .877
2. Alabama: 103-16-1 .863
3. Michigan: 96-16-3 .848
4. Tennessee State: 85-17-2 .827
5. Nebraska: 98-20-4 .820
6. Penn State: 96-22-0 .814
7. Ohio State: 91-20-3 .811

80's:
1. Nebraska: 103-20-0 (.837)
2. Miami (FL): 98-20-0 (.831)
3. BYU: 102-26-0 (.797)
4. Oklahoma: 91-25-2 (.780)
5. Clemson: 86-25-4 (.765)
6. Penn State: 89-27-2 (.763)
7. Georgia: 88-27-4 (.756)
8. Florida State: 87-28-3 (.750)
8. Michigan: 89-29-2 (.750)
10. Auburn: 86-31-1 (.733)

90's:
1. Florida State: 109-13-1 .(890)
2. Nebraska: 108-16-1 (.868)
3. Marshall: 114-25-0 (.820)
4. Florida: 102-22-1 (.820)
5. Tennessee: 99-22-2 (.813)
6. Penn State: 97-26-0 (.789)
7. Michigan: 93-26-3 (.775)
8. Miami (FL): 92-27-0 (.773)
9. Texas A&M: 94-28-2 (.766)
10. Ohio State: 91-30-3 (.746)

20's:
1. Boise State: 112-17 (.868)
2. Texas: 110-19 (.853)
3. Oklahoma: 110-24 (.821)
4. Ohio State: 102-25 (.803)
5. Southern California: 88-26 (.772) (reflects victories lost in the 2004 and 2005 seasons)
6. Florida: 100-30 (.769)
7. TCU: 95-29 (.766)
8. LSU: 99-31 (.762)
9. Georgia: 98-31 (.760)
10. Virginia Tech: 99-32 (.756)

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
One of my brothers went and got with a very loud mouth longhorn fan.

That's redundant as could be. Is there any other kind?

CURRENTLY both programs are in the crapper both nationally and in their respective conferences. We both have new coaching staffs that have a ton of questions to answer. We lost to Purdue, they got blanked by Iowa State.

Anyone who wants to debate which is greater -- 6-7 or 5-7 -- which is where both programs are currently -- is not very sharp.

I couldn't care less Tejas won titles 40 or so years apart, but that does bolster my stance.

LOL, nope.

Nothing bolsters your "stance," because your argument that Nebraska has "always been the better program" is plainly false.

Tejas is the laughing stock of college football, all that money and less to show for it.

Laughing for one decade is worse than laughing for 3 decades, "LOL".

Nebraska would kill -- kill -- to be the "laughing stock" that Texas has been in the 21st century. Laughing

The only reason this is even a discussion is because UT has $$$ and in-state talent galore.

Is there some sort of point here? Almost every program capable of contending for national titles resides close to major talent hotbeds. That's not news.

Throw in some Heisman Trophy winners along with players so skilled there are trophies named after them.

Five times Nebraska won the National Championship, winning back to back titles in 1970 and '71 as well as 1994 and '95.

The 1971 Nebraska team is considered the greatest college football team of alltime (see pictured).

The 1995 team is discussed in the same company. Before losing to Miami in the Orange Bowl, the 1983 Cornhuskers were considered one of the greatest teams of alltime.

The great coach Bob Devaney led his Cornhuskers to 101 wins against only 20 losses during his 1962-1972 tenure, an 83 percent winning clip. Toss out the two 6-4 squads of 1967 and '68 and Devaney was 89-12 for a Rockne-like 88 winning percent.

After turning over his Nebraska program to assistant Tom Osborne, the Cornhuskers continued to be successful. Dr. Tom won 255 games over his 25 year stay while losing 49. Another 83 percent winning rate.

During Coach Devaney's 11 seasons at the helm he led Nebraska to eight Big 8 Conference Championships, a stunning 72 percent championship rate.

During Tom Osborne's 25 seasons he led Nebraska to 13 Conference Titles, continuing the conference domination at better than a 50 percent rate.

Neat story. Is this in response to anything previously posted? No one doubts that Nebraska was the bee's knees up until the end of the 20th century.

I'd go with Bama as the team of the last 50 years, though. NU obviously has the edge in wins / win percentage, but Bama's eight MNCs during that time (nine if we're counting 1965) more than offset that difference, in my opinion. I'd put down as a close second.

Here's your bowl era seasons. Hmmmmm... See's like NU has had more success.

70's:
1. Oklahoma: 102-13-3 .877
2. Alabama: 103-16-1 .863
3. Michigan: 96-16-3 .848
4. Tennessee State: 85-17-2 .827
5. Nebraska: 98-20-4 .820
6. Penn State: 96-22-0 .814
7. Ohio State: 91-20-3 .811

80's:
1. Nebraska: 103-20-0 (.837)
2. Miami (FL): 98-20-0 (.831)
3. BYU: 102-26-0 (.797)
4. Oklahoma: 91-25-2 (.780)
5. Clemson: 86-25-4 (.765)
6. Penn State: 89-27-2 (.763)
7. Georgia: 88-27-4 (.756)
8. Florida State: 87-28-3 (.750)
8. Michigan: 89-29-2 (.750)
10. Auburn: 86-31-1 (.733)

90's:
1. Florida State: 109-13-1 .(890)
2. Nebraska: 108-16-1 (.868)
3. Marshall: 114-25-0 (.820)
4. Florida: 102-22-1 (.820)
5. Tennessee: 99-22-2 (.813)
6. Penn State: 97-26-0 (.789)
7. Michigan: 93-26-3 (.775)
8. Miami (FL): 92-27-0 (.773)
9. Texas A&M: 94-28-2 (.766)
10. Ohio State: 91-30-3 (.746)

20's:
1. Boise State: 112-17 (.868)
2. Texas: 110-19 (.853)
3. Oklahoma: 110-24 (.821)
4. Ohio State: 102-25 (.803)
5. Southern California: 88-26 (.772) (reflects victories lost in the 2004 and 2005 seasons)
6. Florida: 100-30 (.769)
7. TCU: 95-29 (.766)
8. LSU: 99-31 (.762)
9. Georgia: 98-31 (.760)
10. Virginia Tech: 99-32 (.756)

Again, is this addressing any particular argument? None of this is news. I also basically covered this in my earlier post to timnsun.

Non sequiturs galore on this board. ;)

Ha Bring back royal read again... or can't you comprehend...Once a steer always a Queer.

If Tejas claims 1970 as a national title after losing to ND 27-10...
There is no reason why Nebraska shouldn't claim 1983...After all who was more deserving.

UPI would have never voted the whorns #1 after the bowl games.

Last edited:
Ha Bring back royal read again... or can't you comprehend...Once a steer always a Queer.

I see someone let the window-lickers out.

His post doesn't actually address any argument I've made, though no one would ever expect you to understand why that's so.

If Tejas claims 1970 as a national title after losing to ND 27-10...
There is no reason why Nebraska shouldn't claim 1983...After all who was more deserving.

UPI would have never voted the whorns #1 after the bowl games.

Hey, if you have an AP or coaches' poll trophy from 1983, you should definitely claim an MNC for that year!

@leodisflowers listed enough, as did I earlier ITT.

Tejas fan gonna Tejas fan, on a Husker site.

LOL. He listed enough to explain why Nebraska eventually caught up to and passed Texas in program accomplishments, which is no different from what I previously described. That doesn't support your claim.

Think about it for a while. You might eventually understand why. Just don't ask scarletred for help. ;)

Hey, if you have an AP or coaches' poll trophy from 1983, you should definitely claim an MNC for that year!

Houston Chronicle in your own STATE reconizes it.

Fact remains the true National Champs at the END of the SEASON was Nebraska in 1970.

We never had to make excuses because we never lost a game when Nebraska won their National titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT