ADVERTISEMENT

I KNOW there are several Hoiberg threads

Frost and Hoiberg both thought they were offensive geniuses who would be able to come in and outscore everyone. But the execution has been very poor, and they've neglected certain areas of the game that they shouldn't.

Yes, they currently stink, but he is recruiting at an incredible level for Nebraska basketball. Get another class under his belt and if the struggle remains, bring in someone to coach up the talent.

Great recruits find ways to play together. Where are the guys that play defense and rebound? Who is the guy that in practice or the locker room speaks up and the rest of the team takes a “gulp” and changes their act to do the things that may not fill up the state sheet but help the team win? If he isn’t finding those guys, is he recruiting that great or incredible?

Reactions: dpnavy
He clearly needs to go on a vacation to Jamaica with Whoopi Goldberg, have a fling with Taye Diggs, and get his groove back.

• Wow
Reactions: dinglefritz
Great recruits find ways to play together. Where are the guys that play defense and rebound? Who is the guy that in practice or the locker room speaks up and the rest of the team takes a “gulp” and changes their act to do the things that may not fill up the state sheet but help the team win? If he isn’t finding those guys, is he recruiting that great or incredible?
Quaran McPherson is that guy but he doesn’t play.

Yes, they currently stink, but he is recruiting at an incredible level for Nebraska basketball. Get another class under his belt and if the struggle remains, bring in someone to coach up the talent.
You sure? I understand stars and all but we don't look that individually talented.

And quite a big difference in results…

Wish we knew about him more before hiring FH but it’s all water under the bridge now.
Nebraska has had some very poor AD hires, and Tom Osborne is right in the mix of them. I do have some confidence in Trevor Alberts after seeing what he has accomplished in re-building the football staff thus far.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. Some guys just can't be coached. Others can be coached, but only under their terms. Some guys can dunk, but won't play defense or work hard enough to develop an all around game. Some guys can shoot the 3, but only if it's off a pass or only off the dribble. Some guys can drive but only to their strong hand. And any of the guys above could get a 4 star rating based on how they played in AAU against similar head cases.

Fred is showing us what it looks like if you put a lot of those guys all on the same team.

Nebraska has had some very poor AD hires, and Tom Osborne is right in the mix of them. I do have some confidence in Trevor Alberts after seeing what he has accomplished in re-building the football staff thus far.
I can’t think of too many Nebraska fans that were disappointed when Moos hired FH and definitely the hiring‘s of SF and Will Bolt..

No question all Husker fans are very disappointed on the results we have had with our Football and Basketball teams..

Most AD’s are more known for who they hire as their football coach unless it’s a basketball blueblood..

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. Some guys just can't be coached. Others can be coached, but only under their terms. Some guys can dunk, but won't play defense or work hard enough to develop an all around game. Some guys can shoot the 3, but only if it's off a pass or only off the dribble. Some guys can drive but only to their strong hand. And any of the guys above could get a 4 star rating based on how they played in AAU against similar head cases.

Fred is showing us what it looks like if you put a lot of those guys all on the same team.
Lots of truth to this.

Reactions: Anegada1

That’s my worry. Individuals who happen to wear the same uniforms mindset.

The game changes. Succeeding with a certain formula for a period of years doesn’t guarantee that formula will work 5-10 years in the future.
I like the 'the game has passed them by" rationale. While you tout this reason, many on here are begging to go back to the glory days of the TO Era.

Coaches that really know how to coach, in all phases, don't suddenly get dumb. The one thing that I do think happens is if their success is relatively short lived is they caught lightening in a bottle with a special group of athletes.

So with Fred you are saying the game has passed him by and he didn't change with it?

Reactions: scarletred
I like the 'the game has passed them by" rationale. While you tout this reason, many on here are begging to go back to the glory days of the TO Era.

Coaches that really know how to coach, in all phases, don't suddenly get dumb. The one thing that I do think happens is if their success is relatively short lived is they caught lightening in a bottle with a special group of athletes.

So with Fred you are saying the game has passed him by and he didn't change with it?
I don’t analyze his strategy enough to know, but yes I’m saying that’s a possibility.

Some coaches are great because they’re master motivators. Others catch success because they discovered a system that takes advantage of the typical systems of most opponents.

My understanding is Fred discovered the strategy of shooting lots of threes and layups, avoiding midrange shots. But now most teams have adopted that strategy and therefore also have learned to defend against it. It seems like that’s most likely the case for him, which means yes the game has passed him by.

We got better last year after Teddy left. Up to that point a bunch of people were saying he was our only talented scorer. Give me an unselfish team with a lot of ball movement every time over a guy that wants to shoot 30 times a game.

We got better last year after Teddy left. Up to that point a bunch of people were saying he was our only talented scorer. Give me an unselfish team with a lot of ball movement every time over a guy that wants to shoot 30 times a game.
No they weren't better after Teddy left.

• Haha
Reactions: Bjoe_
I don’t analyze his strategy enough to know, but yes I’m saying that’s a possibility.

Some coaches are great because they’re master motivators. Others catch success because they discovered a system that takes advantage of the typical systems of most opponents.

My understanding is Fred discovered the strategy of shooting lots of threes and layups, avoiding midrange shots. But now most teams have adopted that strategy and therefore also have learned to defend against it. It seems like that’s most likely the case for him, which means yes the game has passed him by.
So Fred 'discovered' that? Oh my. His one and only strategy and now everyone knows it. And to think he got paid 5 mil to be a one trick pony. Amazing. Have you ever sat down with a coach of any sport to see what they know and do?

No they weren't better after Teddy left.
He was basically benched vs Minnesota (Win) and then he quit like the selfish baby he is and we beat Rutgers. Both were nice wins. Got blown out vs Iowa and had two close losses to end the season. Yeah, they were better. You're always better when you subtract selfish non-superstars like Teddy, etc.

So Fred 'discovered' that? Oh my. His one and only strategy and now everyone knows it. And to think he got paid 5 mil to be a one trick pony. Amazing. Have you ever sat down with a coach of any sport to see what they know and do?
Man you seem miserable.

Is it possible that Tom Osbourne doesn't want Nebraska football to succeed?

Everyone in Minnesota loved Brett Favre as our quarterback....EXCEPT Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton hated him, because HE wants to be remembered as the greatest.

Reactions: pharvey0829
I don't understand why Hoiberg teams have never been good at free throws or rebounding. I would think those are probably the easiest things to improve. Kind of like special teams and Frost.

Reactions: NuGuru
Hoiberg has done a good job of getting talented players that normally would never come to Nebraska here, but he's done an awful job of assembling a roster. He assembled a team of shooters and high volume scorers that can't shoot or score, nevermind play defense or rebound. He's never been able to get a true point guard or a big that can handle the Big 10. Walker is good but he's not a Big 10 center, Verge is not a point guard and shouldn't be asked to run an offense.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
He retained an awful head coach and said he did it for no other reason than because that awful head coach is a former Husker.

As for "rebuilding the staff" we have no idea if the hires are any good here. And there are inexplicably still two openings.

so why exactly has anything he's done impressed you?

Hoiberg has done a good job of getting talented players that normally would never come to Nebraska here, but he's done an awful job of assembling a roster. He assembled a team of shooters and high volume scorers that can't shoot or score, nevermind play defense or rebound. He's never been able to get a true point guard or a big that can handle the Big 10. Walker is good but he's not a Big 10 center, Verge is not a point guard and shouldn't be asked to run an offense.
Sounds like we might have some infractions coming and it’s comical because we suck

Reactions: ATX Husker
So what is your theory for why Nebrasketball has looked like a bunch of individuals who don't really know how to play basketball?

If it's not the coach, why have three very different rosters had the exact same problems?

He retained an awful head coach and said he did it for no other reason than because that awful head coach is a former Husker.

As for "rebuilding the staff" we have no idea if the hires are any good here. And there are inexplicably still two openings.

so why exactly has anything he's done impressed you?
He understands that Nebraska has very little luster for potentially great aspiring head coaches. Trev has only been the AD at Nebraska a very short time, so very little time to build connections and relationships.

So instead he sits down with one of the most arrogant, stubborn coaches and gets him to agree to a 20% cut in pay, substantially reduces the buyout and forces him to fire some dead weight.

He then brings in some of the most impressive assistants the program has seen in some time. I know many think Scottie made all these choices on his own, but he brought in and stuck with a Jr High coaching staff for 3 miserable years prior with all the same problems we experienced in year 4, so I am not buying that Scottie all of a sudden had an epiphany that he needed to make changes. I’m also betting there will be a true ST focus - something Frost has been non-communal on for four years, but now it’s not his choice

Trev is building relationships behind the scenes and creating a compelling story for future coaches to see the opportunity to help put a “has been” program back on the map. Worst case scenario - Scottie turns out to do well under a Barry Alverez AD management system and Husker Nation is happy the native son made it work with a puppet master pulling the strings, but either way Trev is setting up several plans of action to bring Husker football back.

He understands that Nebraska has very little luster for potentially great aspiring head coaches. Trev has only been the AD at Nebraska a very short time, so very little time to build connections and relationships.

So instead he sits down with one of the most arrogant, stubborn coaches and gets him to agree to a 20% cut in pay, substantially reduces the buyout and forces him to fire some dead weight.

He then brings in some of the most impressive assistants the program has seen in some time. I know many think Scottie made all these choices on his own, but he brought in and stuck with a Jr High coaching staff for 3 miserable years prior with all the same problems we experienced in year 4, so I am not buying that Scottie all of a sudden had an epiphany that he needed to make changes. I’m also betting there will be a true ST focus - something Frost has been non-communal on for four years, but now it’s not his choice

Trev is building relationships behind the scenes and creating a compelling story for future coaches to see the opportunity to help put a “has been” program back on the map. Worst case scenario - Scottie turns out to do well under a Barry Alverez AD management system and Husker Nation is happy the native son made it work with a puppet master pulling the strings, but either way Trev is setting up several plans of action to bring Husker football back.
I like your thought here...

And you are clueless. Answer the questions.
Well when I say “discovered” I didn’t mean he was literally the first person to ever think of it or install it. But he did install it before most.

I’m still confused why you’re so hostile about this. All I’m saying is why I think Fred succeeded at ISU and why I think he’s no longer succeeding. What are you getting mad for?

This post is wrong in every way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT