ADVERTISEMENT

I have a theory about Coach Cignetti and his 6 other James Madison Coaches...

Cornicator

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Feb 27, 2009
Meadville
This guy comes off as the cockiest mothereffer in the history of coaching. Barry Switzer was cocky, but Barry Switzer was also competing for National Championships before he was 40 years-old. Cignetti wasn't even an FBS head coach until his late 50s.

I believe his current Indiana team is VERY similar in talent, depth, and experience compared to his last 3 teams at James Madison. Those teams finished 12-1, 8-3, and 11-2.

If you were take the last 3 James Madison teams and even the current James Madison team coached by his former DC, I believe all 4 of those teams would be 6-0 vs. this schedule:

FIU
Western Illinois
@ UCLA team about go 1-11
Charlotte
Maryland team replacing 15 starters
@ Northwestern

The current James Madison team is 4-1, and I believe that team would be undefeated vs. this current schedule. Hell, they beat Charlotte 35-6.

IMO, Cignetti knew that if he kicked 30 terrible Indiana players to the curb and brought in 20 James Madison players and 10 other transfers that he would absolutely have a roster good enough to beat this Sister's of the Poor schedule.

I bring this up to let you all know that this Indiana team is very good. They are well coached, skilled, and don't make mistakes. Their passing game is exceptional. The timing, spacing, and route running is indicative of a Head Coach who's been coaching WRs, QBs, and Passing games for 30 years. But they LOOK like a high flying G5 team.

Nebraska has a LOT more talent than this team.

And I believe this is the type of game where Dylan Raiola has a chance to break out. They do have gaudy numbers, and their players don't make mistakes. But talent and cream rises to the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.