ADVERTISEMENT

I Hate Creighton

HuskerFan31

Administrator
Sep 10, 2006
We haven't played those bastards since 4/23/19. Lets get a win tomorrow night! Now that that's out of the way, some thoughts after a tough weekend...

I am still shocked at how poorly this team fields. I thought almost regardless of personnel this team would be fundamentally sound in the field (as well as on the bases and in the small ball department).

As has been pointed out, the need to move Frank to the rotation has crippled the bullpen. Is Gomes ever going to pitch again? He hasn't thrown since he blew that save in Arlington.

The approach at the plate continues to baffle me. A few have stepped up, but how many times have we seen guys completely give up an AB? I really don't like calling out specific players, but someone is going to need to.

I'm still not ready to give up on this season. Maybe I'm naive or just bought too much into the preseason hype, but I think this team can make a Regional. 2023 was always going to be the year in my mind to make a big postseason push, but lets not throw away '22 quite yet. WIll Bolt is a good baseball coach and these guys can recruit. Go Big Red!

We haven't played those bastards since 4/23/19. Lets get a win tomorrow night! Now that that's out of the way, some thoughts after a tough weekend...

I am still shocked at how poorly this team fields. I thought almost regardless of personnel this team would be fundamentally sound in the field (as well as on the bases and in the small ball department).

As has been pointed out, the need to move Frank to the rotation has crippled the bullpen. Is Gomes ever going to pitch again? He hasn't thrown since he blew that save in Arlington.

The approach at the plate continues to baffle me. A few have stepped up, but how many times have we seen guys completely give up an AB? I really don't like calling out specific players, but someone is going to need to.

I'm still not ready to give up on this season. Maybe I'm naive or just bought too much into the preseason hype, but I think this team can make a Regional. 2023 was always going to be the year in my mind to make a big postseason push, but lets not throw away '22 quite yet. WIll Bolt is a good baseball coach and these guys can recruit. Go Big Red!
Time will tell whether or not Will Bolt is a good coach. Erstad left the program in good shape. Even John Anderson likely would have had similar success with last year's team.

I will be shocked if this team makes a regional. Unless something seriously changes with their mentality and approach and kicks things into gear.

Erstad left the program in good shape.

Couldn't be furthest from the truth.

Acker, Hallmark, & Roskam were unproven when Bolt took over. Schwelly was a potential, and remained healthy enough to showcase that potential. There was zero pitching left over and the 2018 & 2019 classed recruited by Erstad were absolute failures, so far. Those classes are upperclassmen right now & should be the backbone of the program this season. They're not.

Povich, Hroch, Frank, Bunz, Wynne, Everitt, Anderson, Matthews are all Bolt guys and were a perfect match with how Bolt and staff developed the guys left by Erstad as not a single one of them were proven guys when Will, Lance, Jeff & Danny took over in 2019. 5 of the 8 named are in-state guys that Erstad didn't even sniff.

Time will tell whether or not Will Bolt is a good coach. Erstad left the program in good shape. Even John Anderson likely would have had similar success with last year's team.
So Much wrong with this post I don’t even know where to start. If Bolt does nothing else in his career he’s already accomplished just as much, if not more, than Erstad. Sanders was awful and VanHorn proved that in about 2 seasons.

This was sent to me a week or so ago, so if an error is made you can blame Bolt. I will say, I'm an OPS guy but the person didn't share that & a quick look at huskers.com doesn't show that stat.

Black font = Erstad head coach
Red font = Bolt head coach

Hallmark:
Freshmen - .261
Sophomore - .234
Junior - .368
Junior - .342

Schwellenbach:
Freshmen - .275
Sophomore - .295 (covid)
Sophomore - .284

Roskam:
Freshmen - .266
Sophomore - .269
Junior - .221
Senior - .264 (covid)
Senior - .307

Acker:
Freshmen - .154 (barely played)
Sophomore - .192 (barely played)
Junior - .260
Senior - .306 (covid)
Senior - .283

I'll add this

These 4 combined for:
564 games started
612 games played
2,484 plate appearances

And all 4 had their highest fielding % under coach Bolt! Go figure, eh!?

Now add in Mojo Hagge & Logan Foster (314 starts, 382 games played, 1,350 plate appearances) - both as a leadership on what to expect and experience standpoint and it's quite clear what we lost from the 2021 team isn't easily replaced.

All 6 totaled up?
878 games started, 994 games played, 3,834 plate appearances

What did we return?

Chick
99 starts, 106 games played, 407 plate appearances

Everitt
32 starts, 37 games played, 138 plate appearances

Gomes
45 starts, 47 games played, 167 plate appearances

Matthews
36 starts, 39 games played, 155 plate appearances

Anderson
45 starts, 45 games played, 201 plate appearances

Steil
19 starts, 28 games played, 71 plate appearances

Combined
276 starts, 302 games played, 1,139 plate appearances

Settle down folks, we're inexperienced with tons of youth! Good luck countering either post, but a good laugh is needed.

Last edited:
Any think it’ll rain out and the game won’t even happen? Saw thunderstorms are expected in SE NE now.

Is there a way to watch from out of state? We have DirectTV, get the channel but once we click on it via the DTV app it's not allowed. Any help is appreciated.

Just a personal opinion. I know the wind is blowing in, but with how many runs this team has given lately, I HATE playing small ball in the 2nd inning. I mean sure we got a run, but it took Creighton a half inning to erase that lead. Play for more runs early in the game in my opinion.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
Just a personal opinion. I know the wind is blowing in, but with how many runs this team has given lately, I HATE playing small ball in the 2nd inning. I mean sure we got a run, but it took Creighton a half inning to erase that lead. Play for more runs early in the game in my opinion.
Nothing like getting a 2-1 count and then bunting as well. The balls weren’t very close either.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
I think "quit" is a bit strong, didn't he have a sick parent and need to be close to home?

Yes, and I'm confident in saying he would've left regardless of his dad's health. Big loss though, I was super excited to see him for 3 seasons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT