ADVERTISEMENT

I found this article interesting about the IRS and NIL

https://www.wsj.com/sports/irs-tax-...3llwodr9kn8&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

I have no idea if this will have an effect on any of the the collectives that contribute to Nebraska, but interesting none the less.
I don't know why anyone would even think NIL would be a "charitable" contribution. It's pretty clearly a business expense of purchasing NIL rights from an individual for purposes of advertising and publicity. Businesses should be able to count it as a business expense and players receiving the money need to report it as income. NIL is not a donation. Now of course you need to demonstrate you actually did use the purchased NIL rights for a business purpose and just didn't give the money as a "gift".

NIL is no different than hiring a local celebrity to make an appearance in an advertisement for you.

I have been asking about how the taxes work on this stuff since NIL started and never really found any answers....this is an angle I never even considered...and yeah, no duh that shouldn't be tax deductible.

Reactions: Baxter48
I don't know why anyone would even think NIL would be a "charitable" contribution. It's pretty clearly a business expense of purchasing NIL rights from an individual for purposes of advertising and publicity. Businesses should be able to count it as a business expense and players receiving the money need to report it as income. NIL is not a donation. Now of course you need to demonstrate you actually did use the purchased NIL rights for a business purpose and just didn't give the money as a "gift".
In the article it stated the collectives filed for charitable status under the furthering education provision.

If the IRS gave the collective charitable status, why wouldn't a business make a charitable contribution?

Reactions: king_kong_
In the article it stated the collectives filed for charitable status under the furthering education provision.

If the IRS gave the collective charitable status, why wouldn't a business make a charitable contribution?
You don't contribute to NIL as a "gift". You're buying something in return. That's the definition of what NIL is. If you want to make a charitable donation, then you contribute to a University foundation or even the University athletic department. You can't count gifts of money to players as being a charitable donation.

I don't blame people for trying to bamboozle the IRS but they had to know from the get go that it was an extremely low probability of getting away with it.

You don't contribute to NIL as a "gift". You're buying something in return. That's the definition of what NIL is. If you want to make a charitable donation, then you contribute to a University foundation or even the University athletic department. You can't count gifts of money to players as being a charitable donation.

I don't blame people for trying to bamboozle the IRS but they had to know from the get go that it was an extremely low probability of getting away with it.
If the collective is categorized as a charitable entity, then funds donated to that entity may fit the criteria as a charitable contribution.

The businesses aren't all giving money directly to the players.

If the collective is categorized as a charitable entity, then funds donated to that entity may fit the criteria as a charitable contribution.

Well what are you donating money to? It's not the University because NIL is technically outside the management control of the Universities. Yes, I know there is some "unofficial" coordination going on - but that's kind of a grey area and might be regulated in the future. NO NIL entity I know of has been set up or organized as an official charitable organization. Charitable organizations have reporting/filing requirements as the BLM people learned after the fact.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Well what are you donating money to? It's not the University because NIL is technically outside the management control of the Universities. Yes, I know there is some "unofficial" coordination going on - but that's kind of a grey area and might be regulated in the future. NO NIL entity I know of has been set up or organized as an official charitable organization. Charitable organizations have reporting/filing requirements as the BLM people learned after the fact.
Did you read the article? If there were no collectives that were being set up as charitable organizations then there would be no need for the IRS to make this ruling.

Clemson" TigerImpact and Purdue’s Boilermaker Alliance were both referenced in the article as being set up this way, basically giving them the same status as the American Heart Association.

• Haha
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Did you read the article? If there were no collectives that were being set up as charitable organizations then there would be no need for the IRS to make this ruling.

Clemson" TigerImpact and Purdue’s Boilermaker Alliance were both referenced in the article as being set up this way, basically giving them the same status as the American Heart Association.
Well anybody can attempt to set them up as a charitable organization BUT that does not mean the IRS will officially approve them as charitable organizations. Do you know of any NIL organizations that have been OFFICIALLY approved as a charitable organizations for tax purposes? I do not but maybe I'm misinformed.

Well anybody can attempt to set them up as a charitable organization BUT that does not mean the IRS will officially approve them as charitable organizations. Do you know of any NIL organizations that have been OFFICIALLY approved as a charitable organizations for tax purposes? I do not but maybe I'm misinformed.
The two I mentioned. Again the article referenced them both.

The two I mentioned. Again the article referenced them both.
I'll let the discussion go, it's not a factor either way for me personally. BUT has the IRS recognized contributions to any of them as qualifying as a "charitable donation" for tax return purposes? I thought that was the gist of the article.

if donating to a university is a write off, so, too should be donating to NIL collectives.

the NFL/PGA Tour/etc don't pay taxes.

every single person/org in the land should spend as much time/resources they can to avoid paying, in my opinion.

Reactions: rolanders
the sooner we get to a revenue sharing model where the athlete's get a % of the athletic dept revenue the better

this is where Nebraska and the BIG have the biggest opportunity to distance themselves from the B12, PAC and ACC - when we are pulling in 50+ million dollars more per year than those schools and that money can go directly to the athletes - it also diminishes NIL that is dependent on local business as well as booster wealth

But it also later in the article the new memo that came out they will not give collectives charitable status going forward and will audit the ones that have given status to , reason was the furthering education provision does not cover pay to student athletes. Interesting just read ye whole article.

the sooner we get to a revenue sharing model where the athlete's get a % of the athletic dept revenue the better

this is where Nebraska and the BIG have the biggest opportunity to distance themselves from the B12, PAC and ACC - when we are pulling in 50+ million dollars more per year than those schools and that money can go directly to the athletes - it also diminishes NIL that is dependent on local business as well as booster wealth
I like this idea in theory but it isn’t possible. Not in a fair way that is. What percentages would you use, the same for the star big time QB as the 3rd string safety? And what about football vs. other sports, pretty much all of which actually lose money. Why should baseball players get paid anything extra when baseball actually loses money? Football makes all the profit for 98% of schools.
There’s a huge, very slippery slope when you try doing it this way.

I like this idea in theory but it isn’t possible. Not in a fair way that is. What percentages would you use, the same for the star big time QB as the 3rd string safety? And what about football vs. other sports, pretty much all of which actually lose money. Why should baseball players get paid anything extra when baseball actually loses money? Football makes all the profit for 98% of schools.
There’s a huge, very slippery slope when you try doing it this way.
we are already on that slope - it is what the other professional leagues do
revenue sharing based on the revenue generated in that sport - staff can decide how to allocate just like they do in the pros

NIL can still exist as it does now for other sports

shocked nobody here is up in arms about what media (an industry packed with uglies) are calling "The NCAA's Hot Girl Problem"

I wonder if there is any loopholes. Like for Coleman and his charity. Charities are notorious for having high overheads with very little of the donated money going to actually help. I could see kids opening up charities where there is a 90% overhead.

I have been asking about how the taxes work on this stuff since NIL started and never really found any answers....this is an angle I never even considered...and yeah, no duh that shouldn't be tax deductible.
It actually SHOULD be tax deductible if you're using the individual for advertising etc. NOT deductible if it's just a general donation from Joe blow

Reactions: dinglefritz

There is no line on your schedule C for “charitable contributions”. Maybe corporations can find a way to bury a charitable contribution in their tax return. IF I got hit up for contributions I either had to figure out a way to use them as a business expense or deduct them personally on schedule A. THAT is why many charities sell “advertising” in a program or newsletter to raise funds. Advertising no matter how inefficient it may be is justifiable as a business expense.

Reactions: huskerfan66
There is no line on your schedule C for “charitable contributions”. Maybe corporations can find a way to bury a charitable contribution in their tax return. IF I got hit up for contributions I either had to figure out a way to use them as a business expense or deduct them personally on schedule A. THAT is why many charities sell “advertising” in a program or newsletter to raise funds. Advertising no matter how inefficient it may be is justifiable as a business expense.
Better let the IRS know. Apparently they’re under the impression that corporations and businesses are making tax deductible contributions to charitable organizations. Why else would they make this ruling? I doubt they’re worried about couple of hundred dollar donations to the Boilermaker Fund from Tom and Bill.

Do any actual human beings work at the IRS? I know for a fact they don't currently have anyone that knows the difference between a fiscal year filer and a calendar year filer. I just assume these days that anyone more complex than a straight W2 filer just lies on their taxes anyway and is never held accountable.

Better let the IRS know. Apparently they’re under the impression that corporations and businesses are making tax deductible contributions to charitable organizations. Why else would they make this ruling? I doubt they’re worried about couple of hundred dollar donations to the Boilermaker Fund from Tom and Bill.
People are trying to deduct things they can’t deduct as legit business expenses. That is why the IRS chimed in.

Do any actual human beings work at the IRS? I know for a fact they don't currently have anyone that knows the difference between a fiscal year filer and a calendar year filer. I just assume these days that anyone more complex than a straight W2 filer just lies on their taxes anyway and is never held accountable.
They threw my 2020 tax return away and made me send another. Even though they cashed my check in March of 2021. Guess who got a penalty.

They threw my 2020 tax return away and made me send another. Even though they cashed my check in March of 2021. Guess who got a penalty.
Thankfully I'm not the tax guy at my office. I couldn't deal with it. They lose returns, refuse to pay huge refunds, refuse to acknowledge payments, etc. And there is literally no way to talk to anyone that can do anything to assist. Our tax guy works tirelessly with a taxpayer advocate who tries to fix things but - just when she thinks something is fixed - finds that her work has been deleted and has to start over again. It's a nightmare.

Thankfully I'm not the tax guy at my office. I couldn't deal with it. They lose returns, refuse to pay huge refunds, refuse to acknowledge payments, etc. And there is literally no way to talk to anyone that can do anything to assist. Our tax guy works tirelessly with a taxpayer advocate who tries to fix things but - just when she thinks something is fixed - finds that her work has been deleted and has to start over again.

I owned a body shop for 15 years and about 4 years after we closed it the IRS sent me a letter stating we didn't pay something that we knew we had paid......we were meticulous about it.....and it took 2 years worth of letter writings to finally get it taken care of, it was ridiculous. Meanwhile we were getting letters stating all of the penalties we were incurring and it was very stressful to say the least

Thankfully I'm not the tax guy at my office. I couldn't deal with it. They lose returns, refuse to pay huge refunds, refuse to acknowledge payments, etc. And there is literally no way to talk to anyone that can do anything to assist. Our tax guy works tirelessly with a taxpayer advocate who tries to fix things but - just when she thinks something is fixed - finds that her work has been deleted and has to start over again. It's a nightmare.
The not being able to talk to somebody is a relatively recent issue. Otherwise I haven’t had any problems dealing with the IRS other than that during COVID it took them over a year to process my return. The “work from home” thing has been a disaster for IRS productivity.

The not being able to talk to somebody is a relatively recent issue. Otherwise I haven’t had any problems dealing with the IRS other than that during COVID it took them over a year to process my return. The “work from home” thing has been a disaster for IRS productivity.
"IRS productivity" is an oxymoron

People are trying to deduct things they can’t deduct as legit business expenses. That is why the IRS chimed in.
No. Again read the article. There is a direct connection between the IRS and the NIL collectives that have been set up to take payments from boosters and businesses. This isn't about people trying to deduct a business expense.

No. Again read the article. There is a direct connection between the IRS and the NIL collectives that have been set up to take payments from boosters and businesses. This isn't about people trying to deduct a business expense.
Dingle does not need to read, he has family in high places that read for him.

That or he continuously stays in Holiday Inn’s.

He is getting feeble, or I am, not sure which.

Yep. Can't talk to a live person. One time for spite I was on hold for over 2 hours. And they want more money?? F them. What did they do with it and why are they paying people not to come to work?

Sounds reasonable to me. And it evens the field against teams with deep pockets like OSU and Texas.

Just wait until until we have those new additional 87,000 IRS agents harassing us! They have to do something to justify their existance.
Billionaire tax cheats have paid lobbyists a lot of money over the years to make sure the other 99% of us carry the water for them in this argument. Pay your taxes and don't try anything stupid and nobody will have a thing to worry about. But I want every last taxable dollar that those NIL brats from Georgia and Alabama get handed to them for doing nothing to go to Uncle Sam. Same goes for those media influencers on YouTube.

Reactions: Huskers123456
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT