ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t recognize college football anymore.

Lol college football where tampering is 100% encouraged with no salary cap. 🤣🤣🤣 I'm sorry but if it's going to be like this contracts need to be binding with no transfers for at least 2 years.

Reactions: Bugeater
That’s because the experience at home far trumps going to any game

Attendance is down throughout all sports (college & pro). Why go when everyone has a 65”er 18 inches from their nose with all the games & ice cold bullets in the fridge
Yeah...now going to the game is an experience as opposed to a way to watch your favorite team.

When I go to games in Lincoln, the game is the afterthought. It is about heading down early, catching up with friends, bullshitting, hitting up old bars and new ones and talking about old times. The game is the excuse to go to Lincoln.

Reactions: Chief Wiggum
Ultimately, this comes down to colleges paying their players in some sort of collective bargaining agreement. In the meantime, the portal certainly is bringing parity to the game, NIL not so much.

That’s because the experience at home far trumps going to any game

Attendance is down throughout all sports (college & pro). Why go when everyone has a 65”er 18 inches from their nose with all the games & ice cold bullets in the fridge

But more and more people continue to cut the cable cord, and the Big Ten games going forward are going to be on like 5 or 6 different networks. I think that is going to affect viewership going forward. People will continue to watch the really big games, but nobody wants to pay to watch games like Northwestern-Rutgers and Iowa-Maryland. And with an expanded playoff, I expect regular season viewership will probably decline. I just don't see it being sustainable in the long-term.

Reactions: king_kong_
But more and more people continue to cut the cable cord, and the Big Ten games going forward are going to be on like 5 or 6 different networks. I think that is going to affect viewership going forward. People will continue to watch the really big games, but nobody wants to pay to watch games like Northwestern-Rutgers and Iowa-Maryland. And with an expanded playoff, I expect regular season viewership will probably decline. I just don't see it being sustainable in the long-term.
All fair points. Wouldn’t be the first bubble to burst

The situation for female athletes is starting to sound like Marla Hooch from “A League of their Own.”

Cutting the cable cord obviously doesn't affect the ability to watch games on TV. It just means you use a different content provider that doesn't operate as a monopoly and there's more competition among those content providers which drives up the the prices for media rights. As the streamers get into the game more and more (eg., Apple, Amazon, etc.) the prices for rights goes up. People won't pay incrementally for each game, it will be included as part of their overall subscription package. So the small number of people who do want to watch Northwestern-Rutgers for example can do so without paying an incremental charge.

Cutting the cable cord obviously doesn't affect the ability to watch games on TV. It just means you use a different content provider that doesn't operate as a monopoly and there's more competition among those content providers which drives up the the prices for media rights. As the streamers get into the game more and more (eg., Apple, Amazon, etc.) the prices for rights goes up. People won't pay incrementally for each game, it will be included as part of their overall subscription package.

Casual fans aren't going to pay for like 10 different streaming services in order to watch college football. By then, you're paying more than you would for cable.

Yeah...now going to the game is an experience as opposed to a way to watch your favorite team.

When I go to games in Lincoln, the game is the afterthought. It is about heading down early, catching up with friends, bullshitting, hitting up old bars and new ones and talking about old times. The game is the excuse to go to Lincoln.
That's true but I'd note there also isn't as much interest in the game itself for a team that has had losing seasons for so many years. Interest in the actual games themselves picks up when the game means something. There's a good number of people that still want to be at games when they're meaningful to say they were there physically. But yes, no doubt the surrounding experience will also continue to be a big driver.

Reactions: bama_husker
Casual fans aren't going to pay for like 10 different streaming services in order to watch college football. By then, you're paying more than you would for cable.
Don't have to have multiple services. You just have the service that has the conference with your football team.

That's true but I'd note there also isn't as much interest in the game itself for a team that has had losing seasons for so many years. Interest in the actual games themselves picks up when the game means something. There's a good number of people that still want to be at games when they're meaningful to say they were there physically. But yes, no doubt the surrounding experience will also continue to be a big driver.
Yeah I know what you mean.

Don't have to have multiple services. You just have the service that has the conference with your football team.

Big Ten just signed a deal with like 5 different networks/services (FOX, NBC, Peacock, CBS, Big Ten Network). Then if you want to watch other games, like in the SEC, you'll need ESPN and the SEC Network, and who knows what other networks/services will be in their next deal....probably Apple TV, Amazon Prime, etc.

Cats out of the bag. Not sure they can go backwards now. Now with the playoff expansion and the opportunity even greater to cash in during bowl season, I don’t expect it to pull back at all. Let’s say you are Alabama or UGA, who is almost guaranteed to to either make or be on the verge of making the playoff every season. Would you deem 15 mil in NIL spend worth it? I would. The playoff expansion, added ad revenue, gambling on brackets, etc…. College football is about to reach the highest highs and I’m here for it. NIL is just an ingredient in the soup.
Indeed the cats out of the bag in terms of players getting a piece of the pie. The courts simply won't allow players NOT to profit from their NIL rights.

Big Ten just signed a deal with like 5 different networks/services (FOX, NBC, Peacock, CBS, Big Ten Network). Then if you want to watch other games, like in the SEC, you'll need ESPN and the SEC Network, and who knows what other networks/services will be in their next deal....probably Apple TV, Amazon Prime, etc.
But Fox, NBC and CBS are available for free (ie, ignoring the ads). Peacock will just rebroadcast what's on NBC. So basically all you need to pay for is access to BTN.

But Fox, NBC and CBS are available for free (ie, ignoring the ads). Peacock will just rebroadcast what's on NBC. So basically all you need to pay for is access to BTN.

There will be 8 games a year that are available only on the Peacock streaming service (and not NBC), which I believe will require a monthly subscription from what I read.

There will be 8 games a year that are available only on the Peacock streaming service (and not NBC), which I believe will require a monthly subscription from what I read.
Well I guess we'll have to see how it shakes out.

Power 5 and G6 should be separate divisions and each should have their own playoffs and championship games.
Disagree. With the playoff becoming 12 teams the G6 (or little guys) will have slots in the playoff. I'm guessing they will have 2 to 3 slots available to them depending on what the P5 looks like with all the movement. That gives the best little guys something to shoot for every year.

With the best G6 teams pulled out for the big playoff it doesn't make any sense to have a playoff among the rest. A consolation champion in htat division would seem weird and cost a ton of money that would never be recouped.

Disagree. With the playoff becoming 12 teams the G6 (or little guys) will have slots in the playoff. I'm guessing they will have 2 to 3 slots available to them depending on what the P5 looks like with all the movement. That gives the best little guys something to shoot for every year.

With the best G6 teams pulled out for the big playoff it doesn't make any sense to have a playoff among the rest. A consolation champion in htat division would seem weird and cost a ton of money that would never be recouped.
We finally got a tournament and you are already trying to start the NIT in football…..sounds awesome. I’m in!!

Reactions: TTown Tom
When you write things like that, what standard are you using as justification?
With the Big 12 losing Texas and Oklahoma and the Pac 12 losing USC and UCLA, those conferences are pretty much G6 conferences. With Clemson falling off, the ACC is almost like a G6 conference as well.

With the Big 12 losing Texas and Oklahoma and the Pac 12 losing USC and UCLA, those conferences are pretty much G6 conferences. With Clemson falling off, the ACC is almost like a G6 conference as well.
Honestly, we might learn something about the Big XII when we see how TCU does. The Big XII is probably the most balanced conference in America with the Pac XII behind. It seems like on any given Saturday any of those teams could win. Are they balanced because they are medicocre or is good football being played there. I guess we shall see.

Money is all that separates the conferences. Watching USC/Utah is no less enjoyable than Michigan/Iowa, or TCU/K-State. In fact, more people tuned in (12.7 million) to the B12 championship than any other conference championship. It seems to me that eyeballs, fan interest, is really the barometer that matters.

FjUrDyjWYAgjV27

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Honestly, we might learn something about the Big XII when we see how TCU does. The Big XII is probably the most balanced conference in America with the Pac XII behind. It seems like on any given Saturday any of those teams could win. Are they balanced because they are medicocre or is good football being played there. I guess we shall see.

It's hard to tell because the Big 12 didn't play many tough non-conference games, other than Texas playing Alabama. Some notable non-conference games they did play:

-Texas lost to Alabama
-Texas Tech lost to NC State
-West Virginia lost to Pitt, beat Virginia Tech
-Baylor lost to BYU
-Ok State beat Arizona State
-Oklahoma beat Nebraska
-Kansas State lost to Tulane, beat Missouri
-Iowa State beat Iowa
-Kansas beat Duke
-TCU beat Colorado

So nobody in the Big 12 beat a good Power 5 team in the nonconference. Colorado, ASU, Nebraska, VT are all horrible teams. Iowa, Mizzou, Duke are about .500 level teams.

Money is all that separates the conferences. Watching USC/Utah is no less enjoyable than Michigan/Iowa, or TCU/K-State. In fact, more people tuned in (12.7 million) to the B12 championship than any other conference championship. It seems to me that eyeballs, fan interest, is really the barometer that matters.

FjUrDyjWYAgjV27
I would argue that the PAC 12 and the Big XII were way more enjoyable. Part of it was that they were actually playing for entrance into the playoff. The other part is that, imo, those two conferences play a much more enjoyable brand of football. The QB play in the Big Ten is atrocious and the SEC is only marginally better.

Reactions: AVeritas
Ohio State loses bidding war for recruit:

https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...-nil-ohio-state-georgia-5-star-recruit-report

From article:

“The unnamed player got an offer in the neighborhood of $800,000 per season to play at Georgia, a figure that doesn't even include a reported signing bonus of $1.8 million more on top of that.”
me's thinks ohio state protesteth too much!
only 5 players in the portal??? hmmm, must get paid well...
or maybe they are waiting till after georgia?
then rhule visits them!

Tulane (AAC champion) beat K-State (Big 12 champion). Most likely a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other.

This year there would be one team (Tulane) because they are conference winners. If these G5 teams get their ass handed to them year after year in the playoffs, I think there will be more interest in a separate playoffs for G5. I'd watch it.

Games play the same. The angst comes from jealousy. Embrace and enjoy the new ride! Change is inevitable.
There have been some major changes recently and we will not see the full effect immediately. Players getting better compensated is probably good, but not sure about the merry-go-round of transfers/unlimited signing that's happening now. And this has nothing to do with NU sucking, which has been a long term trend.

At the moment I can subscribe to YouTube TV and watch CFB all day, with pretty much all the good P5 games on three channels at a time with one sub. If you are only on Amazon Prime or Peacock, you are cutting your exposure. Doesn't seem wise to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT