ADVERTISEMENT

I’m stunned at you people....

... unless I missed a thread somewhere...

50 YEARS AGO TODAY.... FIRST NATIONAL TITLE!!!

Thanks to the Bobfather, Jerry Tagge, Johnny the Jet, Rich Glover....

THOSE were players!!!🏈❤❤❤❤❤

I was going to start a thread about the 50 year anniversary of our first national title, but I figured some douce fan from one of our neighbors from the East would just ridicule the post...

🎈🎈🎈

i watched it with my dad on a black and white tv with a snowy screen once In a while, if I recall my dad was upset with all the penalties we had in that game and yes willie Harper a sophomore at the time was a man among boys no awards for his position then or else he probably would have won several through out his Nebraska career

For me this run was all tied to Tom as the O coordinator. Warren Powers was the D coordinator. Who doesn't remember him as a pain in our butts later on?

We ran the 5-2 D and our roster had players from all over the country. The guys were huge, like 6'2" and 187 lbs. ;) Amazing.
Nose tackle 5'9". Pain in LSU butts all night. I was there with a group of fellow students. Trip down including game ticket, transportation and lodging cost me $75. Saw the temptations on New Years Eve for $10. First taste of key lime pie.

Dick Chatelain has a great article in the OWH about the first national title in school history...

Sorry I can’t link the article..

Reactions: Bart Man
Spartan,

Careful about posting about ancient history. I mentioned Hoyt Wilhelm in the RIP Niekro knuckleballer thread and was met with “good god, how old are you?” I think what he really meant was, “Hasn’t COVID killed you yet, Social Security bankrupter?”

(Now if you tell me you don’t remember Hoyt Wilhelm either, you may be lying. I am sure you also remember Lyel Bremser calling Johnny Rodgers‘ fabulous kick return touchdown against the Sooners 50 years ago.)

Last edited:
For me this run was all tied to Tom as the O coordinator. Warren Powers was the D coordinator. Who doesn't remember him as a pain in our butts later on?

We ran the 5-2 D and our roster had players from all over the country. The guys were huge, like 6'2" and 187 lbs. ;) Amazing.
Powers was never defensive coordinator. He coached DBs.

Reactions: scarletred
Spartan,

Careful about posting about ancient history. I mentioned Hoyt Wilhelm in the RIP Niekro knuckleballer thread and was met with “good god, how old are you?” I think what he really meant was, “Hasn’t COVID killed you yet, Social Security bankrupter?”

(Now if you tell me you don’t remember Hoyt Wilhelm either, you may be lying. I am sure you also remember Lyel Bremser calling Johnny Rodgers‘ fabulous kick return touchdown against the Sooners 50 years ago.)
“ man woman and child!!!”
I AM old , but spry enough... I used to emulate Hoyt BADLY... my brother, otoh, threw a great knuckler... I did my best Ted Abernathy 😂
The odd thing about us winning in 71 was it was an afterthought at the beginning o
Spartan,

A spry old timer today, loved Hoyt Wilhelm, though I was more of a Ted Abernathy thrower me self... but on Jan 1, 1971, NO ONE thought we would win it... too many upsets had to happen, but the BOBFATHER pulled it off!!!!
Loved it!!!

5 titles in 50 years. Nebraska has won national titles in 10% of the last 50 seasons...it will be down to 8% after this season is over.

Reactions: countrybob
Too bad!!! If you don’t want to revel in WHAT STARTED IT ALL, then graciously drop dead...
I’m happy we have a history!!!
we came close in 66 against alabama in the orange bowl but ran into a red hot kenny stabler, then in 67 i believe against alabama,again for the national championship i thought for sure we would win because bama's qb joe namath was hurt,but his repacement steve sloan pick apart our white db's much like miami's bernie kosar did against mc cashland ,to the point they changed shirts to hide him. but it all came together 94,95,97 you bet im proud to be a husker

we came close in 66 against alabama in the orange bowl but ran into a red hot kenny stabler, then in 67 i believe against alabama,again for the national championship i thought for sure we would win because bama's qb joe namath was hurt,but his repacement steve sloan pick apart our white db's much like miami's bernie kosar did against mc cashland ,to the point they changed shirts to hide him. but it all came together 94,95,97 you bet im proud to be a husker

You mean 1965 season 1966 Orange Bowl...

ND and Michigan St played for 10-10 tie and then USC was destroyed by ND and the polls awarded ND the national title for playing for a tie..Nebraska last the last game of the season to Oklahoma and went into the 1967 Sugar bowl against Bama and Stabler with 9-1 record so Nebraska wouldn’t have won the title any ways in 1966.

Spartan,

Man Woman and Child!

Coaches had all sorts of different titles in those days. Here is an article that gives a little history. I read that Warren Powers was the D coordinator even though his official title was D backs coach. You have Kiffin and Van Zandt in there as well later in the 70's. The title of D coordinator was not consistent with Devaney and for several years.

Article on coaching changes: https://hailvarsity.com/football/huskers-have-a-history-with-staff-continuity/

Reactions: IowaHuskr
“ man woman and child!!!”
I AM old , but spry enough... I used to emulate Hoyt BADLY... my brother, otoh, threw a great knuckler... I did my best Ted Abernathy 😂
The odd thing about us winning in 71 was it was an afterthought at the beginning o

A spry old timer today, loved Hoyt Wilhelm, though I was more of a Ted Abernathy thrower me self... but on Jan 1, 1971, NO ONE thought we would win it... too many upsets had to happen, but the BOBFATHER pulled it off!!!!
Loved it!!!
Abernathy was the master submariner. Surely influenced the “youngster“ Quisenberry.

You mean 1965 season 1966 Orange Bowl...

ND and Michigan St played for 10-10 tie and then USC was destroyed by ND and the polls awarded ND the national title for playing for a tie..Nebraska last the last game of the season to Oklahoma and went into the 1967 Sugar bowl against Bama and Stabler with 9-1 record so Nebraska wouldn’t have won the title any ways in 1966.
thanks for the correction.

Reactions: scarletred
Coaches had all sorts of different titles in those days. Here is an article that gives a little history. I read that Warren Powers was the D coordinator even though his official title was D backs coach. You have Kiffin and Van Zandt in there as well later in the 70's. The title of D coordinator was not consistent with Devaney and for several years.

Article on coaching changes: https://hailvarsity.com/football/huskers-have-a-history-with-staff-continuity/
Or it could be that Powers had the official title of defensive backs coach because he coached defensive backs.

5 titles in 50 years. Nebraska has won national titles in 10% of the last 50 seasons...it will be down to 8% after this season is over.
Better than that if you contract the period to 1965 through 2001, or 37 seasons. We played in 10 bowls with a chance to win it all over those 37 seasons, and we won five. In eight of the games, the other team was also playing for a shot at the title. That's playing for a title every 3.7 years, and winning one every 7.4 years. Not Alabama great, but it spoiled those of us who have lived through all 10 of those games.
  • 1965 vs. Alabama. 39-29 loss. Alabama wins AP title.
  • 1970 vs. LSU. 17-12 win. (LSU did not have a shot at the title.)
  • 1971 vs. Alabama. 38-6 win.
  • 1981 vs. Clemson. 22-15 loss. (Still sucks that T. Gill couldn't play.)
  • 1983 at Miami. 31-30 loss.
  • 1993 vs. Florida State. 18-16 loss
  • 1994 vs. Miami. 24-17 win. (Miami still had a chance at the title had PSU lost the next day.)
  • 1995 vs. Florida. 62-24 win.
  • 1997 vs. Tennessee. 42-17 win. (Tennessee did not have a chance at the title because Michigan had won earlier).
  • 2001 vs. Miami. 37-14 loss. (Could have been 137-0. Thank you, Larry Coker.)
Three times we played in a bowl without a chance to win the title, but our opponent did, and then beat us to clinch it.
  • 1964 vs. Arkansas. 10-7 loss.
  • 1990 vs. Georgia Tech. 45-21 loss.
  • 1991 vs. Miami. 22-0 loss.

Better than that if you contract the period to 1965 through 2001, or 37 seasons. We played in 10 bowls with a chance to win it all over those 37 seasons, and we won five. In eight of the games, the other team was also playing for a shot at the title. That's playing for a title every 3.7 years, and winning one every 7.4 years. Not Alabama great, but it spoiled those of us who have lived through all 10 of those games.
  • 1965 vs. Alabama. 39-29 loss. Alabama wins AP title.
  • 1970 vs. LSU. 17-12 win. (LSU did not have a shot at the title.)
  • 1971 vs. Alabama. 38-6 win.
  • 1981 vs. Clemson. 22-15 loss. (Still sucks that T. Gill couldn't play.)
  • 1983 at Miami. 31-30 loss.
  • 1993 vs. Florida State. 18-16 loss
  • 1994 vs. Miami. 24-17 win. (Miami still had a chance at the title had PSU lost the next day.)
  • 1995 vs. Florida. 62-24 win.
  • 1997 vs. Tennessee. 42-17 win. (Tennessee did not have a chance at the title because Michigan had won earlier).
  • 2001 vs. Miami. 37-14 loss. (Could have been 137-0. Thank you, Larry Coker.)
Three times we played in a bowl without a chance to win the title, but our opponent did, and then beat us to clinch it.
  • 1964 vs. Arkansas. 10-7 loss.
  • 1990 vs. Georgia Tech. 45-21 loss.
  • 1991 vs. Miami. 22-0 loss.
Here's the biggest coaching mistake we've ever made: not keeping Tom Osborne coaching for another 10 years. It would be like Saban retiring in 2011 instead of having an extra decade of dominance because Alabama was able to keep Saban around.

Here's the biggest coaching mistake we've ever made: not keeping Tom Osborne coaching for another 10 years. It would be like Saban retiring in 2011 instead of having an extra decade of dominance because Alabama was able to keep Saban around.

And how would you suggest we "keep" Tom Osborne coaching? I'm pretty sure it was his idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT