ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers MBB vs Rutgers 1/3/2020

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
Its on BTN at 7pm central time..... Just a heads up.

Rutgers wont be at full strength this evening, according to KKugler:

I realize that we need some big bodies. But no one seems to want to rebound on either end. Big issue. I know coach addressed it...

Good Lord, we're a guard dominated lineup, and we're shooting 59% from the Line. How on earth does that happen?

Reactions: regionsdoc
Kavas laying bricks as per usual. Get that guy the F out of the game and leave him on the bench. He's not even remotely close.

First game I've been able to watch in awhile. Its amazing how terribly we shoot the ball. Especially considering we are a guard heavy lineup. Hopefully that turns around quick, we can get a W today still

meanwhile one of the best 3 pt shooters in NCAA Div 1is from Scottsbluff and would have desperately loved to go to NU....plays elsewhere sigh.

Awful defense is the even bigger problem. Rutgers doing whatever they want.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Awful defense is the even bigger problem. Rutgers doing whatever they want.

Matador D, baby! I wish this team would at least act like they want to guard someone. This is just poor coaching. It doesn't take talent to play D, it takes will and discipline and this team has neither. Chin looks like a genius compared to this staff.

There are 4 power 5 programs that have managed to successfully avoid a bowl game the last 3 years in football and an NCAA tourney appearance the last 2 going into this basketball season.

Nebraska, Rutgers, Oregon st and Colorado.

Nebraska has no chance of making the tourney.

Colorado is 12-2
Oregon St is 10-3
Rutgers will be 11-3.

We have a chance of being the only power 5 program with no bowl and no NCAA tourney the last 3 seasons.

Thank goodness the power 5 conferences don't have a promotion/relegation agreement with mid-majors or we might be replaced by Memphis.

Awful shot selection. Haven't seen one good thing tonight.

There are 4 power 5 programs that have managed to successfully avoid a bowl game the last 3 years in football and an NCAA tourney appearance the last 2 going into this basketball season.

Colorado is 12-2
Oregon St is 10-3
Rutgers will be 11-3.

We have a chance of being the only power 5 program with no bowl and no NCAA tourney the last 3 seasons.

Thank goodness the power 5 conferences don't have a promotion/relegation agreement with mid-majors or we might be replaced by Memphis.
Sounds like I need to change my avatar. I definitely would not be proud of that if I were Moos. Granted Hoiberg and Frost need time but yikes thats bad.

Colorado is 12-2
Oregon St is 10-3
Rutgers will be 11-3.

I'm not sure what else Moos could do, tbh. Frost was the guy for the football program. I think short of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or Dabo Swinney the fanbase would have been disappointed with the hire if it weren't Frost. Moos hit a homerun with Hoiberg. I am still a little surprised that he decided to coach at NU. The guy knows how to win. It sucks that the Bulls run tarnished his rep a bit, but that isn't on him. The Bulls front office is a cluster****.

I know these statistics suck, but I think even if the Big Ten had the power to remove us for under-performance (they probably do, actually), they would regret it in the near future.

Nothing like helping Buttgers start 2-1 in conference play for the first time since Christ walked the Earth.

Last edited:
This a disgraceful performance. You wont find a bigger FH fan than me but this is pathetic.

Reactions: kocat6
This a disgraceful performance. You wont find a bigger FH fan than me but this is pathetic.
Yeah I really don’t care much about wins and losses this year but there are too many games where they’re just not showing up.

Worse home loss to Rutgers by any big ten team since Rutgers joined the league

Kind of seems like the Indiana and Purdue games were a fluke.

You could easily say that about the North Dakota and Southern Utah games as well. I gave this season a pass before it started. I knew it would be ugly. I think Hoiberg is still trying to figure what he has. He turned over the entire roster and is in the process of changing the entire philosophy of Nebraska basketball. There are flashes of what this team can be, both good and bad. That will likely lead to a 10-12 win season.

I'm still excited to see what these kids might do game to game. And next year, with talent infusion, we should see this Hoiberg led program start to turn a corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Worse home loss to Rutgers by any big ten team since Rutgers joined the league
We won't hold that distinction for long IMO. This is by far the best team they've had since they joined the league.

This is the best team Rutgers has had since they joined the B1G. This game and how it happened should not have surprised anybody.

Consider Rutgers was -2.5, apparently everyone, including Vegas, was pretty surprised. You must have known something everyone else didn't. Well done!

Consider Rutgers was -2.5, apparently everyone, including Vegas, was pretty surprised. You must have known something everyone else didn't. Well done!
People are judging them by their past years performance. Their record doesn't accurately reflect where they'll end up again IMO. They are a MUCH improved team from last year. We are not.

People are judging them by their past years performance. Their record doesn't accurately reflect where they'll end up again IMO. They are a MUCH improved team from last year. We are not.

We're 13 games into the season. This is about current teams, and about our previous games against Purdue and Indiana. We just stunk it up very bad tonight. Just horrible shooting.

This is what has me somewhat worried about next year too. We are going to have the same core of outside shooters, give or take 1 or 2. Teddy should bolster our percentages...I hope. We add quite a bit of size, which will open up outside looks more, but we're missing wide open looks right now. The FT % is pretty inexcusable too.

I trust FH, but the guys he brought in as shooters are not shooting at the level that I'm sure he expected. I know, we gotta give him a pass, but it makes me nervous that this is our core of outside shooters that are clanking shots left and right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Took the whole family to the game tonight, had great seats in the student section. Very early in the game they made an easy bucket from the low block and Rutger's coach screamed at their bench "ALL F__CKING NIGHT!"

He was not wrong.

Took the whole family to the game tonight, had great seats in the student section. Very early in the game they made an easy bucket from the low block and Rutger's coach screamed at their bench "ALL F__CKING NIGHT!"

He was not wrong.
What a swell thing for a grown-up coach to yell. Nice f'ing example of language/professionalism/self- control. Even if it was true...what an immature putz, imo.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think they show up and play hard. It’s just a collection of players that was scrapped together that have some really big shortcomings
Sometimes they do, but in other games they stand around a lot and slip into the "my-turn-to-shoot" offense.

I get that it's a hodgepodge of players, and I'm confident things will improve over time. Right now the level of effort just seems really inconsistent.

We're 13 games into the season. This is about current teams, and about our previous games against Purdue and Indiana. We just stunk it up very bad tonight. Just horrible shooting.

This is what has me somewhat worried about next year too. We are going to have the same core of outside shooters, give or take 1 or 2. Teddy should bolster our percentages...I hope. We add quite a bit of size, which will open up outside looks more, but we're missing wide open looks right now. The FT % is pretty inexcusable too.

I trust FH, but the guys he brought in as shooters are not shooting at the level that I'm sure he expected. I know, we gotta give him a pass, but it makes me nervous that this is our core of outside shooters that are clanking shots left and right.

Burke and Green are not Hoiberg guys. I will not be surprised if Hoiberg processes Green. Burke was known for more of a driver/defensive guy coming in. Which is probably why Miles recruited him. Really, the only shooter that he has brought in that really hasn’t been is Kavas. And he just doesn’t have the athleticism to play in the Big Ten.

The good news is that both Allen and the new JUCO recruit are above 40% from 3 right now. Also, based on the small sample size I watched during the practice scrimmage....Banton and Stevenson are going to be big help next year in getting buckets. I don’t think Hoiberg is done for next year quite yet...won’t be surprised if we land a grad transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT