Huskers MBB vs Rutgers 1/3/2020

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by Cloud_a_Heart, Jan 3, 2020.

1. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

This is a reasonable take. I was talking about judging Rutgers' team on last years effort. FWIW for our new guys, there's a big difference between shooting over D2 and Juco defenses versus trying to shoot over a B1G defense or any D1 defense for that matter. We knew the guys we brought in had struggled at the free throw line. That can be improved SOME in practice. IMO, we've got some emotional young guys especially at the point and when things start off bad, they are going to struggle the whole game. The best thing Fred can do is to try to stay positive and encourage them at this point. I really didn't see us getting to 3 wins in the B1G this year with this team. It's going to be an emotionally tough year on these kids. The key IMO for us this year is to keep selling the current players that things will get better for them and that this year will help them next year.

41 dinglefritz, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Hoosker Du likes this.
  2. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Our shooting on the overseas trip and non-con were equally as inconsistent. IF we get hot from 3, we can surprise a team. If those first few 3s clank, well we're going to struggle the whole game in most cases. I don't think there will be a miraculous turn around in our shooting but we can hope for an upset or two in games where things fall. I would expect us to be dogs in virtually every game we play from here on out. The Vegas line this past game was set on Hoiberg's rep and a home court. Bettors will figure this team out pretty quickly.

9and4 likes this.
  3. 9and4

9and4 Junior
    Expand Collapse

True, the Huskers played badly last night. Which means that a poor team played even worse than they're capable. They have had two (maybe a third against USF) where they played above their station. I know the Riverside game was just the first of the year, but that team just lost to Air Force by 49. We lost to Riverside by 19.

In the words of Monty Python: "This is an ex-parrot." It's not going to be revived this year, even though we may see another game or two where they play above their station.

As for the future, Cam Mack is the only player on this active roster who should get more than 10 minutes per game next year. If Thor is still around, he may be a good sixth man, but the rest are role players at best, though Cross and Ouedraogo may improve enough to help off the bench as well. Allen, Stevenson, Walker and Banton will raise the level of play.

Hoiberg generally likes an eight-man rotation, so put a line under Mayen's name, and the rest are going to fight for minutes next year:
    1. Mack
    2. Allen
    3. Banton
    4. Stevenson
    5. Walker
    6. Thor
    7. Ouedraogo
    8. Mayen
    9. Cross
    10. Burke
    11. Green
    12. Easley
    13. Arop

4. ZaneHickey

ZaneHickey Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I have seen. I watch sports. Still not sure how loud vulgarity and sometimes maniacal behavior helps. I might be out in motherf'n left field on this, though.

5. mgbreis

mgbreis Junior
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a coach but there's no way Thor should be sitting so Kavas can play. The guy is flat out terrible in all facets. And I know that Fred likes the 3's, but last night they just kept pumping up brick after brick, very few were anywhere close to going in. So Fred can say "sometimes the shots don't fall" but we're talking about off the side of the backboard garbage. Maybe they'll get hot here and there and we'll win a couple.

grayhairedfreak and Hoosker Du like this.
  6. 9and4

9and4 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Kavas has been disappointing, no doubt. On the positive side, we now know that going from the WAC to the Big Ten is a huge jump, not made easily by a one-trick pony.

mgbreis likes this.
  7. Huskerchil

Huskerchil Newbie
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s hard to watch these games but with this team we’re going to get this result 75% of the time. Fred can’t make chicken soup out of chicken shit. Next year you will see at least 4 new starters. The big question is can Fred coach TA. Unbelievable talent but has attitude problems, hopefully not a Green. The future looks good anytime you got a coach like FH.

9and4 likes this.
  8. Charlie Marlow

Charlie Marlow Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

College coaches yelling and using curse words? What is this world coming to??:eek:

9. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

That crappy Rutgers team is now 12-3 with 2 wins over ranked teams.

10. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

And were favored by 2 1/2 over us.

11. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

That's where Vegas had to put the line in order to attract money. That doesn't mean the sharps actually thought NU would only lose by 2 1/2. I would think the sharps who were paying attention probably loaded up on Rutgers. That line was just silly.

12. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

We both know that Vegas sets the line to attract equal money on both sides, which generally indicates what they think the point differential will be.

13. Charlie Marlow

Charlie Marlow Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Illinois beats Rutgers today 54-51

14. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

I watched about the last 10 minutes of that game. The Illini limited Rutgers' ability to get the ball inside and they couldn't make a jump shot from the perimeter. Illinois was also aided IMO by some questionable home court officiating a couple of times. There was one very questionable illegal screen call that probably was the critical call at the end. Illinois matched up very well physically with Rutgers. The score of the game says a bunch.

Thrasher31 likes this.