ADVERTISEMENT

How the Big Ten makes Wisconsin competitive

Big Ten basketball officials tend to be homers, so I didn't find Tuesday night's officiating to be anything out of the ordinary.

When Happ was at Wisconsin and Davison was still the darling of every officiating crew, the Badgers seemed to get a crapload of calls. Doesn't seem as bad this year, as Happ is now gone and Davison's notorious flopping and nut-punching incident have made him less of a golden boy.

Huskers had some momentum going into the locker room Tuesday but started the second half flat-footed on defense and dug themselves a deep hole. Tough to recover from scoring runs (10-0, I think) like that.

Reactions: scarletred
Not sure if it is a controversy or not but there does seem to be a 'lean' by officials in the Big 10 toward whoever is playing Nebraska. I think it all goes back to the success we had in football back in the 80's and 90's.
You would think this conference would desire another name player for their image. I think whether it is consciously done or not Nebraska rarely gets the benefit of the doubt. The bogus blocking call against Mike Williams toward the end of the Iowa game helped seal our doom in that game as just one example.
Old school Big 10 still has plenty of bias toward Nebraska and I fear it is not apt to change anytime soon. The only solution is to be more dominant on the playing field or court. It will not be easy because they can even impact things with out of whack scheduling that favors other teams in the league. If you want to really feel sick compare our conference schedule for the next 4 years in comparison to Minnesota. We will need to be much better than Minnesota in the coming years to even compete with them. In this era of larger conferences there is a a greater possibility of uneven scheduling. The fairest way to even the playing field would be to determine the winner of the West or East only by their record against their division opponents. In that scenario all the schools would play the same opponents in determining the champion. The only uneven aspect in determining the winner then would be home and away.Of course, that would be the case for everybody so problem solved.
Probably will never happen but I think it would be an improvement for all of the conferences where you don't play all the teams every year.

You are referring to parity scheduling which is meant to make it harder for the blue bloods. Sports version of Affirmative Action.

Feb 8th will be a day of reckoning for Hoiberg & company be sure and not miss it.

You do realize that Fred beat Iowa with just 1 player of the 5 on the court that will be starting next year. You may win in Iowa City in a couple weeks, but Fred is going to own Fran from here on out. You'll be fortunate to win 1 out of 5 games in the future.

You do realize that Fred beat Iowa with just 1 player of the 5 on the court that will be starting next year. You may win in Iowa City in a couple weeks, but Fred is going to own Fran from here on out. You'll be fortunate to win 1 out of 5 games in the future.
Iowa has one of the better teams in the nation and they are all underclass men. Bohannon will also return next year. So no Freddy is not going to own Fran next year.

Iowa has one of the better teams in the nation and they are all underclass men. Bohannon will also return next year. So no Freddy is not going to own Fran next year.

If Iowa has one of the better teams in the nation they’d be in the Top 10..

With such a bold statement you should be able to name them.

Just another excuse for not getting the job done. Always blame the refs, the league, heck the whole world is against us just like Bo said!

So no, I can't believe there is an organized conspiracy against the Huskers when you are talking officials who come from all over and who didn't know anything of the Huskers past dominance in FB. They have never been a force in BB but apparently get punished anyway. Oh my.

Oh, it's not like that, and it's not an excuse. Nebraska has no reason not to be getting it done, there just happens to be several people at both the conference and university level around the big 10 that actively root against Nebraska for things. The removal from the AAU was not an accident or a coincidence.

Not necessarily correct on your part as the difference between 1 - 20 is negligible come March
seeing as how only 1 team outside of the top 12 seeds has won the NCAA tournament in the last 20 years, one might conclude you have no clue what you're talking about.

Reactions: Hoosker Du

Fred just beat Fran with a team thrown together in a few weeks, that had never even played together until last summer. And 4 of our starters for next year are sitting on the bench due to transfer. :D

Fred is 5-1 against Fran, and only lost to him in his first year at Iowa St. Fred will more than likely help Fran pack his bags at Iowa, which is not what we want. We love seeing Fran lose his mind on the bench and turn red as a lobster. RollingLaugh

Watch this:

I stopped counting the moving screens Wisconsin set because they were doing it multiple times per possession! They set a record for 3's and a huge chunk of them came after illegal screens. Saying there weren't enough to complain is a joke! There WERE enough to complain. Their bigs are too slow and unathletic to set proper screens and the refs let them get away with murder out there.

I skipped some posts, so if this is already addressed, deal with it:...

how many moving screens was Nebraska called for? I didn't watch the game so I don’t know.

If a team doesn’t take advantage of what the refs are not calling that is on them.

It is just like offensive holding in Big Ten games, I posted an article in the past that discussed the lack of offensive holding calls, especially on the OLine, Big Ten officials called. The fact that Nebraska or other teams don’t take advantage of holding on the OLine is not Wisconsin’s fault.

to the dude, @Nebyank I think, that was whining about how Big Ten officials hate Nebraska and call our games unfairly, please provide some proof. Until then it just sounds like whining and reeks of an inferiority complex. Every fan base thinks the officials treat their team unfairly and think that Herbstreit and ESPN hate them. And every fan base is wrong.

Fred just beat Fran with a team thrown together in a few weeks, that had never even played together until last summer. And 4 of our starters for next year are sitting on the bench due to transfer. :D

Fred is 5-1 against Fran, and only lost to him in his first year at Iowa St. Fred will more than likely help Fran pack his bags at Iowa, which is not what we want. We love seeing Fran lose his mind on the bench and turn red as a lobster. RollingLaugh

Fred was successful at Iowa St because it was Iowa St, a team steeped in tradition with prior coaches and players.

Nebraska not so much, no prior tradition you play in a building built for concerts not BB. I predict Fred’s years coaching the Bulls will be considered light years more successful as his current expectations in Lincoln will prove to be. No brag just fact.

Fred was successful at Iowa St because it was Iowa St, a team steeped in tradition with prior coaches and players.

Nebraska not so much, no prior tradition you play in a building built for concerts not BB. I predict Fred’s years coaching the Bulls will be considered light years more successful as his current expectations in Lincoln will prove to be. No brag just fact.

You have no proven fact in your post other than Iowa St has had some basketball tradition..

Lol... You’ve never been to the Vault you moron..

We have the best Basketball facilities in the B1G and that is what has been said from the media visiting them..

Speaking of dumps your football locker room is among the worst in the conference..

Posting up isn't a moving screen. Moving away from the ball isn't a moving screen. In any pick and roll, it seems you could argue for a moving screen. Quite often the screener makes the pick, and then rotates around to catch a quick pass for a layup.

B1G officiating isn't great, but in general if fans are constantly complaining about it, the refs aren't the problem.
Thank you. Needed to be said.

You have no proven fact in your post other than Iowa St has had some basketball tradition..

Lol... You’ve never been to the Vault you moron..

We have the best Basketball facilities in the B1G and that is what has been said from the media visiting them..

Speaking of dumps your football locker room is among the worst in the conference..

Alas you are left with a BB coach who has had some success years back at a BB school and now he is faced with trying to field a respectable team at a non BB school in a building more suited for a stock show or World of Wheels. I will leave you with this, Fred will struggle to escape the cellar of the B1G nothing more than that.

I wonder how some of you Iowa fans make it through the day without walking right in front of a bus, or electrocuting or poisoning yourselves. You are truly so dense that the only safeguard would be to quit whatever menial job you are working, and stay on your couch all day and night.

Attention all Iowa 'tards...we have some of the best basketball facilities in the nation! Do you think we were getting 4-star high school recruits and 5-star transfers to Nebraska because of the scenery? Or the tradition of Nebraska basketball? Or the coaching talents of Tim Miles??!!

We have gotten good recruits because of our facilities, idiots!! And yes, we will recruit at least as well as Iowa State did under Fred Hoiberg in Lames, IA. Get your heads out of your asses and wake up to reality. FH will do the same thing in Lincoln as he did in Ames, except he will ultimately get better talent overall. If you don't see this, it's because you're too busy trying to walk in front of a bus or electrocute yourselves.

Like Iowa football right?

Like Iowa football right?

Every FB coach in the B1G will tell you Historic Kinnick Stadium is the toughest environment to play in the conference. The decaying relic called Memorial Stadium has never struck fear in an opposing teams heart.

Every FB coach in the B1G will tell you Historic Kinnick Stadium is the toughest environment to play in the conference. The decaying relic called Memorial Stadium has never struck fear in an opposing teams heart.

You were never around from 1962-2001...

Put our home record in Memorial stadium during that time too any in Home games during Kinnick stadium history...

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughYeah, those 75,000 fans make the Horseshoe look like tiddly winks. You get dumber with each passing second.

Tradition wins basketball games at Iowa st but not football games at NU.

Makes perfect sense.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing Never heard anyone say that Kinnick is the toughest environment. Well, except a moron like you. 30 IQ boy is what you are.

Or he’s just realized that the Nebraska fan base is very easy to get up in arms.

But how often do you find trollers to be a real cerebral species? He's either an idiot for believing what he posted, or he's an idiot for wasting his time and spending the day trolling.

Alas you are left with a BB coach who has had some success years back at a BB school and now he is faced with trying to field a respectable team at a non BB school in a building more suited for a stock show or World of Wheels. I will leave you with this, Fred will struggle to escape the cellar of the B1G nothing more than that.
In this case yes, wait until next year. Our best players are on the bench. And you still lost to us!

In this case yes, wait until next year. Our best players are on the bench. And you still lost to us!

I wouldn’t say ALL our best players.. Cam Mack is one of the best point guards in the country..

But no question this team going to look completely different next year..Let the Herky think Hoieberg team is going to be a cellar dweller..

But how often do you find trollers to be a real cerebral species? He's either an idiot for believing what he posted, or he's an idiot for wasting his time and spending the day trolling.

And those who argue with these “cerebral species” or “idiots”, what does it say about them and their intelligence? Often reminded of Mark Twain and his thoughts on arguing with fools

And those who argue with these “cerebral species” or “idiots”, what does it say about them and their intelligence? Often reminded of Mark Twain and his thoughts on arguing with fools

I'm pretty sure none of us are above the fray. I've seen you in exchanges with Iowa fans before, so we all let our guard down and are influenced by idiocy from time to time.

I don't know...maybe it's when we are caught up on all of our daily tasks and we are bored, and think to ourselves "You know...I'm completely certain I can open the door, say hello, and exchange pleasantries with the two Jehovah's Witness guys on my porch, without being drug into a conversation." It just happens, and we live to regret it.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT