ADVERTISEMENT

How the Big Ten makes Wisconsin competitive

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009
Free reign to hold in football and free reign to set moving screens in basketball. Add in the flopping bail-outs to "even the athletic playing field." Good recipe to make the people of Wisconsin competitive in sports.

Free reign to hold in football and free reign to set moving screens in basketball. Add in the flopping bail-outs to "even the athletic playing field." Good recipe to make the people of Wisconsin competitive in sports.
Makes you wonder about offenses like frost and hoiberg. They work in other places but we are in the one conference that wants to hold onto a certain way of doing things.

The problem with Wisconsin is they are not competitive outside the BIG
At the risk of being accused of being a Badger fan, since that's what people like to do.....

They're 5-1 in their last 6 bowl games, and they are the B1G's most recent representative in the Men's Basketball Final Four. They have also been a regular in the women's volleyball tournament, including a runner-up finish this past season.

I realize that we're sick of them beating the Huskers in football, but to say they aren't competitive outside the conference isn't accurate.

Last edited:
At the risk of being accused of being a Badger fan, since that's what people like to do.....

They're 5-1 in their last 6 bowl games, and they are the B1G's most recent representative in the Men's Basketball Final Four.

I realize that we're sick of them beating the Huskers in football, but to say they aren't competitive outside the conference isn't accurate.
Well stated.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality

They're 5-1 in their last 6 bowl games, and they are the B1G's most recent representative in the Men's Basketball Final Four. They have also been a regular in the women's volleyball tournament, including a runner-up finish this past season.

You just don't get it do you? It's the refs, the league, a giant conspiracy to prop them up and kill the Husker brand.

Makes you wonder about offenses like frost and hoiberg. They work in other places but we are in the one conference that wants to hold onto a certain way of doing things.

They will have to adjust to some degree...just like Underwood had to change his high-pressure attack defense at Illinois.

With that said, Wisconsin is sliding down, what Bo Ryan did there was amazing and Greg Hard is not Bo Ryan.

Nebraska’s problem is this year they’re undersized and having a difficult time getting offensive rebounds..

Last night we packed it in and didn’t get out on perimeter shots and they took advantage of it..

I can see complaining about holding calls in football but there wasn’t enough moving screens to complain why we lost...

Looking forward to next season when Hoieberg plugs in the transfers that are sitting out and JC player Allen coming in..

You have to adopt their tactics against them. Dare the refs to call moving screens and holds on you.

You just don't get it do you? It's the refs, the league, a giant conspiracy to prop them up and kill the Husker brand.
Not sure if it is a controversy or not but there does seem to be a 'lean' by officials in the Big 10 toward whoever is playing Nebraska. I think it all goes back to the success we had in football back in the 80's and 90's.
You would think this conference would desire another name player for their image. I think whether it is consciously done or not Nebraska rarely gets the benefit of the doubt. The bogus blocking call against Mike Williams toward the end of the Iowa game helped seal our doom in that game as just one example.
Old school Big 10 still has plenty of bias toward Nebraska and I fear it is not apt to change anytime soon. The only solution is to be more dominant on the playing field or court. It will not be easy because they can even impact things with out of whack scheduling that favors other teams in the league. If you want to really feel sick compare our conference schedule for the next 4 years in comparison to Minnesota. We will need to be much better than Minnesota in the coming years to even compete with them. In this era of larger conferences there is a a greater possibility of uneven scheduling. The fairest way to even the playing field would be to determine the winner of the West or East only by their record against their division opponents. In that scenario all the schools would play the same opponents in determining the champion. The only uneven aspect in determining the winner then would be home and away.Of course, that would be the case for everybody so problem solved.
Probably will never happen but I think it would be an improvement for all of the conferences where you don't play all the teams every year.

Reactions: HuskAir
Nebraska’s problem is this year they’re undersized and having a difficult time getting offensive rebounds..

Last night we packed it in and didn’t get out on perimeter shots and they took advantage of it..

I can see complaining about holding calls in football but there wasn’t enough moving screens to complain why we lost...

Looking forward to next season when Hoieberg plugs in the transfers that are sitting out and JC player Allen coming in..

The old “wait until next year”.

They should replace “The Cornhusker State” on the license plates with “Just Wait Until Next Year” seems appropriate.

They should replace “The Cornhusker State” on the license plates with “Just Wait Until Next Year” seems appropriate.
woof. inferiority complex like you read about.

tough look.

You’re an idiot if you think Hoieberg was going to the dance his first year...

But one thing he always accomplishes is beating Iowa in a yearly bases..

Watch this:

I stopped counting the moving screens Wisconsin set because they were doing it multiple times per possession! They set a record for 3's and a huge chunk of them came after illegal screens. Saying there weren't enough to complain is a joke! There WERE enough to complain. Their bigs are too slow and unathletic to set proper screens and the refs let them get away with murder out there.

Posting up isn't a moving screen. Moving away from the ball isn't a moving screen. In any pick and roll, it seems you could argue for a moving screen. Quite often the screener makes the pick, and then rotates around to catch a quick pass for a layup.

B1G officiating isn't great, but in general if fans are constantly complaining about it, the refs aren't the problem.

Posting up isn't a moving screen. Moving away from the ball isn't a moving screen. In any pick and roll, it seems you could argue for a moving screen. Quite often the screener makes the pick, and then rotates around to catch a quick pass for a layup.

B1G officiating isn't great, but in general if fans are constantly complaining about it, the refs aren't the problem.

Watch the video. There are about 4 illegal screens in the first two possessions alone. #2 for Wisconsin seemed like the only guy that could set a legit screen and even he is caught moving and grabbing Huskers as they try to get through. That is illegal. You cannot lean out to screen someone after you set position. That is illegal. You cannot "chip" someone with your elbow or shoulder. That is illegal. You certainly cannot reach out and grab someone. You also cannot pivot near the three-point line after you set a screen to impede a defender's progress.

Watch the video. There are about 4 illegal screens in the first two possessions alone. #2 for Wisconsin seemed like the only guy that could set a legit screen and even he is caught moving and grabbing Huskers as they try to get through. That is illegal. You cannot lean out to screen someone after you set position. That is illegal. You cannot "chip" someone with your elbow or shoulder. That is illegal. You certainly cannot reach out and grab someone. You also cannot pivot near the three-point line after you set a screen to impede a defender's progress.

Watch other B1G conference games and they all do it, and you may be right but the majority of the time officials don’t bother making the call on less it’s obvious...

Too many times we didn’t get out on their 3 point shoots because we packed the paint...

Watch this:

I stopped counting the moving screens Wisconsin set because they were doing it multiple times per possession! They set a record for 3's and a huge chunk of them came after illegal screens. Saying there weren't enough to complain is a joke! There WERE enough to complain. Their bigs are too slow and unathletic to set proper screens and the refs let them get away with murder out there.
Sorry...I don't see anything out of the ordinary that I haven't seen in a million other basketball games (ok....not a million, but lots of other games).

Not sure if it is a controversy or not but there does seem to be a 'lean' by officials in the Big 10 toward whoever is playing Nebraska. I think it all goes back to the success we had in football back in the 80's and 90's.
You would think this conference would desire another name player for their image. I think whether it is consciously done or not Nebraska rarely gets the benefit of the doubt. The bogus blocking call against Mike Williams toward the end of the Iowa game helped seal our doom in that game as just one example.
Old school Big 10 still has plenty of bias toward Nebraska and I fear it is not apt to change anytime soon. The only solution is to be more dominant on the playing field or court. It will not be easy because they can even impact things with out of whack scheduling that favors other teams in the league. If you want to really feel sick compare our conference schedule for the next 4 years in comparison to Minnesota. We will need to be much better than Minnesota in the coming years to even compete with them. In this era of larger conferences there is a a greater possibility of uneven scheduling. The fairest way to even the playing field would be to determine the winner of the West or East only by their record against their division opponents. In that scenario all the schools would play the same opponents in determining the champion. The only uneven aspect in determining the winner then would be home and away.Of course, that would be the case for everybody so problem solved.
Probably will never happen but I think it would be an improvement for all of the conferences where you don't play all the teams every year.
But somehow the volleyball team has 2 won national titles in the 9 years it's been playing in the B1G, despite this bias or whatever it is.....

But somehow the volleyball team has 2 won national titles in the 9 years it's been playing in the B1G, despite this bias or whatever it is.....

You can’t compare officiating Volleyball compared to Football or Basketball..

That’s Ludacris..

You can’t compare officiating Volleyball compared to Football or Basketball..

That’s Ludacris..
With the review available nowadays, probably so....but prior to that, it's a different story...and Nebraska still won a natty (2015) prior to those reviews being instituted (2016).

In short, blaming officials and spinning conspiracy theories is for losers....no two ways about it.

Wisconsin OLine is good. Its their system.
Not buying all this holding crap. Sure, theyve gotten away with it before, but not like this board makes it seem.

I didn’t get to watch this game but I see maybe 1 or two questionable moving screens in that entire highlight video. Moving screens aren’t even called that often on anyone. I agree Wisconsin gets the benefit of the refs especially in football but based on the highlights this game was won fair and square by the Badgers.

I don’t see their bigs being much less athletic than ours...two offensive players crossing each other is not a moving screen. Maybe you think they’re moving screens because our guys were bad at defending it.

Not sure if it is a controversy or not but there does seem to be a 'lean' by officials in the Big 10 toward whoever is playing Nebraska. I think it all goes back to the success we had in football back in the 80's and 90's..

It will be nice at some point if Nebraska can get back to winning some games if for no other reason than to get rid of this whole conspiracy theory on the refs picking on them. Calls go both ways, but face it, your teams have not had the coaching or talent to win. It is just easier to blame the refs to admit that the team sucks.

You're the fanbase that clamors "wait till next year".

And yes there were people on the board talking sweet 16 this year.

You just joined the board two weeks ago. How would you know what anyone was talking about before the season started?

10.gif

Hoiberg now 5 - 1 against Fran. When we stomp you in basketball next year and beyond, will we see you back here to eat crow?

There are multiple people in power in this league at the conference and university level that don't want Nebraska to succeed in the conference. It's not a conspiracy.

With such a bold statement you should be able to name them.

Just another excuse for not getting the job done. Always blame the refs, the league, heck the whole world is against us just like Bo said!

So no, I can't believe there is an organized conspiracy against the Huskers when you are talking officials who come from all over and who didn't know anything of the Huskers past dominance in FB. They have never been a force in BB but apparently get punished anyway. Oh my.

Last edited:

Holy shit - how did you break our code! Yes we have gamed the system to keep your stale program down for successes they had 30 years ago. Please tell me you don’t have car keys.

jedimasterjed said:

The problem with Wisconsin is they are not competitive outside the BIG

[/quote]
You should post more often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT