ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world did Indiana lose that bowl game?

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
I checked out early in the 4th quarter thinking IU had it pretty much wrap-up. But not so fast my friends. The Vols find a way to win! I'll have to watch the highlights. Probably shouldn't be so surprised. After all, it is Indiana Hoosier football. Winking Well at least they're playing in a bowl game. As for Nebraska? Maybe next year.

I checked out early in the 4th quarter thinking IU had it pretty much wrap-up. But not so fast my friends. The Vols find a way to win! I'll have to watch the highlights. Probably shouldn't be so surprised. After all, it is Indiana Hoosier football. Winking Well at least they're playing in a bowl game. As for Nebraska? Maybe next year.
I checked out about the same time you did.

I think between bowl inexperience, combined with IU's coach not staying within himself, led to the loss.

What I mean by the second part of that statement is when they were up 19-9, and got the ball down on Tennessee's end. They were moving the ball without too much trouble, and then he tries to get cute and loses 7 yards on a reverse...which was then followed up by a penalty. They end up kicking a FG.

I didn't see the rest, but that's what stuck out to me with regards to what I did see.....having to settle for FGs when they could have blown it open.

It’s called coach Tom Allen

It’s called coach Tom Allen

18 wins in his first 3 years playing in the Big Ten East
they play OSU, PSU and Michigan every single year

some fan bases will be throwing wild celebrations and proclaim their coach a conquering hero if they can get to 18 wins in the first 3 years of their new hire - even if they only have to play 1 or 2 of those big 3 each year

Last edited:
I turned it off in the 4 quarter thinking the hoosier would win, turns out tenn won me 500 bucks in the office pool. good ole rocky top tenneseeeeee

I'm sure Tennessee fans were saying in the 4th quarter how in the hell were they losing the game to begin with. They could have easily blown the game wide open in the first half and failed to do so. It goes both ways.

Because Tom Allen (who I believe is a good coach on most days) doesn't know that a team that's kicking off and down by a touchdown with less than 4 minutes to go in the game......is going to kick an onside kick!!

I couldn't believe that.....he lost that game for his team! Tennessee is just horrible too......smh.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I watched the highlights. A perfectly executed on-side kick by UT and a porous IU defense led to the game winning score. IU had a chance with 2 min. left but the kicker missed the field goal. Oh well, still a very good year for Hoosier football.

I watched the highlights. A perfectly executed on-side kick by UT and a porous IU defense led to the game winning score. IU had a chance with 2 min. left but the kicker missed the field goal. Oh well, still a very good year for Hoosier football.
IU had the ball with 55 seconds left and moved the ball to TUs 45 but the Tennessee stopped playing prevent defensive and went after the quarterback and IU went 4 and out

IU had the ball with 55 seconds left and moved the ball to TUs 45 but the Tennessee stopped playing prevent defensive and went after the quarterback and IU went 4 and out
Yes. That was a good call to put the heat on the IU QB.

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT