ADVERTISEMENT

how far have we fallen off...?

tpmcg

Assistant Head Coach
Mar 25, 2002
i know this isn't the full story, but i think its interesting. i like to look at this kinda stuff.

sorry, its a little blurry.

i often hear that we've fallen off the map and we have in many respects, but i think for anyone to say we can never have great success again (doesn't mean a national championships every year!), because we're so far off may be a bit misleading.

if i sort by wins, N is 13th - since 1998.

this post is not advocating for a change or otherwise.

There are a lot of prestigious teams that have fallen even further then we have since 1998

So they all had bad coaches? Looks like we just keep the revolving door open until we find the right one and then hope he stays forever. Did I get that right? We have all of the talent in the world?

i know this isn't the full story, but i think its interesting. i like to look at this kinda stuff.

sorry, its a little blurry.

i often hear that we've fallen off the map and we have in many respects, but i think for anyone to say we can never have great success again (doesn't mean a national championships every year!), because we're so far off may be a bit misleading.

if i sort by wins, N is 13th - since 1998.

this post is not advocating for a change or otherwise.

Is there ever going to be a time where the Neb fans don’t talk about the past or 20 years ago. How do the past 5 years look . Doesn’t fit the agenda.

I'm a just gonna leave this here. Yes, we fired a guy who led the Huskers to the 6th most wins of any college program during his tenure.

22549748_10155864836204485_1492651951035086976_n.jpg

Last edited:
So they all had bad coaches? Looks like we just keep the revolving door open until we find the right one and then hope he stays forever. Did I get that right? We have all of the talent in the world?

What? All I said was that there are a lot of other prestigious programs that have fallen further than we have.

What? All I said was that there are a lot of other prestigious programs that have fallen further than we have.

It was a combination response a post that said we just need to find the right coach. More to it than that. The conclusion is each of the schools that have fallen made bad hires as well.

I'm not sure why the date of 1998 was picked. I'm only concerned with 2015 and on.

Iowa sucks.

If Ferentz would recruit more than 2 and 3 star athletes we be looking at a far better won/loss %'age and would not have gone 10 years w/o a bowl win. I can't understand why Iowa fans are satisfied with his recruiting. We get an occasional NFL draftee or All American and Ferentz is celebrated as a terrific recruiter. You need an entire roster of quality athletes to compete, evidenced by Iowa getting embarrassed year-after-year in bowl games.

If Ferentz would recruit more than 2 and 3 star athletes we be looking at a far better won/loss %'age and would not have gone 10 years w/o a bowl win. I can't understand why Iowa fans are satisfied with his recruiting. We get an occasional NFL draftee or All American and Ferentz is celebrated as a terrific recruiter. You need an entire roster of quality athletes to compete, evidenced by Iowa getting embarrassed year-after-year in bowl games.

The reason I'm on your Board raising this issue is because your program does go after top athletes. Ferentz could; after all, he followed a major bowl appearances with basically a 2 star recruiting class. I think he is lazy.

presented in response to national narrative which seems to say we can never get back or worse, we're done for good.

i think even modest improvements across the board could do wonders moving forward.

wasn't offered as satisfaction.

Take the Callahan and Riley years out and we would be much better

This is awesome. We fired the other two dudes too because they weren't good enough. hahahahahaha So even if you take out Riley and Callahan you still have two coaches who were fired for not being adequate. So WHO CARES if we would be much better.

This is awesome. We fired the other two dudes too because they weren't good enough. hahahahahaha So even if you take out Riley and Callahan you still have two coaches who were fired for not being adequate. So WHO CARES if we would be much better.
Did you miss the post where we fired the guy who led his team to the 6th most wins during his tenure and whose last team won 10 games. Maybe it was the AD who wasn't adequate. Since you obviously missed it:

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Did you miss the post where we fired the guy who led his team to the 6th most wins during his tenure and whose last team won 10 games. Maybe it was the AD who wasn't adequate. Since you obviously missed it:

Who cares? Larry Coker was responsible for 35 of the 64 Miami wins and responsible for only 3 of the 11 losses in that time period and was fired with a 60-15 overall record AND won a National title but was still fired. Phat Phil at Tennessee 59-17 in that period also fired.

Who cares? Larry Coker was responsible for 35 of the 64 Miami wins and responsible for only 3 of the 11 losses in that time period and was fired with a 60-15 overall record AND won a National title but was still fired. Phat Phil at Tennessee 59-17 in that period also fired.
Sweet. Coker wasn't fired for what he did during that time period. He was fired for going 7-6 in 2006 and 14-10 in conference games after Miami joined a real conference. Fulmer wasn't fired for his efforts during that period either. He was fired in 2008 for having two losing seasons in his last four. If those guys were fired in 2003 you might actually have a leg to stand on. As it is, your argument is lunacy.

Sweet. Coker wasn't fired for what he did during that time period. He was fired for going 7-6 in 2006 and 14-10 in conference games after Miami joined a real conference. Fulmer wasn't fired for his efforts during that period either. He was fired in 2008 for having two losing seasons in his last four. If those guys were fired in 2003 you might actually have a leg to stand on. As it is, your argument is lunacy.

Coker was 60-15 and won a national title. It doesn’t matter what league he was in, he coached the best team in the country in 2001 and only lost in the title game in 2002, in double OT

He was fired because when he finally had to coach the players he recruited he wasn’t as good. Just like your boy Solich. Both Coker and Solich went to smaller FBS schools and never reached that level again, in fact neither have a Top 25 finish since they were fired.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Coker was 60-15 and won a national title. It doesn’t matter what league he was in, he coached the best team in the country in 2001 and only lost in the title game in 2002, in double OT

He was fired because when he finally had to coach the players he recruited he wasn’t as good. Just like your boy Solich. Both Coker and Solich went to smaller FBS schools and never reached that level again, in fact neither have a Top 25 finish since they were fired.
My boy Solich gave Cally top 10 rated recruiting classes that were mostly juniors and seniors when he took over. Let's just say that your boy Cally didn't do much with them.

P.S. How did those firings of Coker and Fulmer work out for those schools. Randy Shannon and Al Golden? Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley? RollingLaugh

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
I will always wonder if frank would have improved recruiting if he had not been fired. I felt like he was a decent coach that had to deal with a ton of negative recruiting. Following a legend and a supposedly outdated offense.... Firing him or any coach after a 10 win season is insane. That was a bad decision that started a domino effect of bad decisions. Its been hard to watch other teams spend the money on good coaches while we try to go on the cheap. I guess you do get what you pay for.

My opinion on Solich is that our program had slipped under his watch, especially in recruiting. There were big cracks in the foundation. However, those issues could have been fixed, given time, and Solich should not have been fired.

Of course all of this is 20/20 hindsight.

Is there ever going to be a time where the Neb fans don’t talk about the past or 20 years ago. How do the past 5 years look . Doesn’t fit the agenda.

I bet we are MUCH lower since joining the B1G!

My opinion on Solich is that our program had slipped under his watch, especially in recruiting. There were big cracks in the foundation. However, those issues could have been fixed, given time, and Solich should not have been fired.

Of course all of this is 20/20 hindsight.

I agree.

I am not saying Solich should have been kept, but in hindsight, one 7-7 season and a negative view from the fans did him in.

Pederson should have fired him after 2002. Firing him after 2003 was not a great choice. 2003 had bad losses at the time (31-7 vs Texas, 38-9 vs KSU (remember Bo running up to Snyder?).

Osborne got Solich fired with his damn 9 win crap. The fans expected 9 wins or more AND championships. I think a lot of people were hung up on lack the recruiting and the crappy defenses (especially compared to the defenses we were used to in the 90's).

If it was guarenteed that Solich would have won at least 9 games every year until 2015, would fans have still wanted him fired? Probably not. Even if Solich's teams weren't competitive in big losses in that scenario, he probably would not have been fired because of his persona.

In hindsight, firing a coach that never had a losing season shows how spoiled we were.

Callahan was a bad coach for NU. He couldn't win with good recruits even (2007). He may have been a good NFL coach, but when you have a crappy defense and aren't willing to get it fixed, you deserve to be fired.

Riley should fire Langs. Just like Riley just said, in this day and age of teams scoring a lot of points, our offense has to be productive. It is far from that. Pretty sure we couldn't put up 60 points in a game with our offense if it tried, even against a zero win team in FCS.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Firing Frank was a truly colossal sized mistake. We haven't won diddly squat since except a couple of division titles with Bo & one from Clownahan.

Now, with MR, we're at the bottom of the bucket.

The past years since the major administration changes after TO have shown a colossal amount of pride and personal self arrogance. Each thinking they could fix things and make them better from AD's to coaches but none did to the complete satisfaction of the fans. We have a mess now and a reputation that will need to be overcome. Does it surprise anyone that the more of these fiascos we go through the harder it is to hire people? duh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT