ADVERTISEMENT

How does Alabama get in over Auburn?

AngryHusker88

Walk On
Feb 5, 2011
Alabama is getting rewarded for having a weaker OOC schedule than Auburn & for failing to win its own division. Auburn played No. 1-seed Clemson & lost by a score. Alabama did not face a remotely comparably opponent out of conference (It's not their fault Florida State sucked this year, but the fact still stands). Auburn has the same conference record as Alabama, & they whooped Alabama's rear end head-to-head. Auburn, not Alabama, won the head-to-head match-up; & Auburn, not Alabama, won the SEC West. Heading into the SEC Title game, Auburn was ranked No. 2; Alabama was ranked No. 5 & had no games remaining. So had Auburn not played in the SEC Championship Game, they would have remained ranked over Alabama. There would be no reason to move Alabama ahead of Auburn; because Auburn had just beaten Alabama, the Playoff Rankings had elevated Auburn over Alabama, & neither team had played a football game since.

Therefore Alabama is getting rewarded for losing & staying at home, while Auburn is getting penalized for winning their division & playing in their conference championship. The system should not work like that; it makes 0 sense if the intention is to put the 4 best teams in the playoffs.

Auburn played a playoff team 4 times (No. 1 seed Clemson, No. 3 seed Georgia twice, No. 4 seed Alabama) & won two of them. Alabama has nothing comparable on their resume; outside of losing to the only elite team on their schedule, all they can boast of is wins over 9-3 LSU & 8-4 Mississippi State.

I write this because I read a article on ESPN that this *** wrote, saying how the committee got it right & Alabama deserved to get in over Ohio State. So I'd like that ******bag to tell me how the committee got it right in taking Alabama over Auburn; that is, assuming the intention is to put the 4 best teams in the playoffs

Alabama was put in the playoffs because they are Alabama, not because of what they proved on the field this season

Last edited:
Because it is Bama. That simple.

I wanted Clemson and Wisc to win (felt the SEC was irrelevant). That was the only way to keep Bama out. As soon as Wisky lost, they were in. I don’t like it, but just knew when it happened.

Had Auburn not had 3 losses, there’d be a strong argument to have them in over Bama, especially since they split with Georgia. But had they beat Clemson in the beginning of the season, Bama still might have sneaked in.

Go Clemson!

This year and last, teams are rewarded for skipping the CCG. Nice system.

According to many, Auburn should be ahead of Alabama because they won the head to head match.

Head to head always shows you which team is better!

Example: Nebraska goes 12-1 with the one loss to an 0-12 team by 45 points but wins the conference, while OSU goes 12-1 and loses to Nebraska in the championship game by one point, Nebraska would be ranked higher due to head to head.

Same record. Who has the worse loss? Doesn't matter...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT