ADVERTISEMENT

How are our former qbs(transfers) doing...

I went and looked and from what I can tell of all the the guys who left, or transferred after MR. Only 2 are starting at P5 programs. Or any program that Im aware of. Both at Oregon St. Tyjon Lindsey and Avery Roberts. Oregon St is not what you say, the highest level of programs.
I doubt any of the guys who left would be starting at Nebraska currently, hence probably why they left.

I went and looked and from what I can tell of all the the guys who left, or transferred after MR. Only 2 are starting at P5 programs. Or any program that Im aware of. Both at Oregon St. Tyjon Lindsey and Avery Roberts. Oregon St is not what you say, the highest level of programs.
I doubt any of the guys who left would be starting at Nebraska currently, hence probably why they left.
I wish Avery Roberts would have freaken gutted it out and put the work in. We could have really used him this year, if not just for depth.

I don't. Good riddance, one and all.
I’m not wishing for the current Avery Roberts that is a diva. I’m just fantasizing of a world where we’re deeper at LB because Avery buys into the culture and works his tail off to realize his full potential here.

Reactions: husker2612
I tend to agree. Watching Frost actually LEAD the program has me calmer about the future than I have been since the mid 90's. Those that left were for the most part players identified by the staff as not a good culture fit. We have a true adult who is fully invested and has full support from the administration and fans for the first time since 1997. If they aren't going to put in the work good riddance as you said.

They came here and we had two losing seasons they left for a program that every year has a losing season. I am not bagging on these kids nor were they even responsible for Rileys record here but it does seem obvious to me winning is not the main priority

Reactions: The Clutch
They came here and we had two losing seasons they left for a program that every year has a losing season. I am not bagging on these kids nor were they even responsible for Rileys record here but it does seem obvious to me winning is not the main priority

if you commit to play for a loser like riley, you, too, are a loser.

Are you aware of how many current NU players you are disparaging? Not cool.

giphy.gif

Greg Bell walked on at San Diego State and is possibly injured and out for the season. Wouldn't be surprised if he never actually plays for them.

Keyshawn Johnson Jr "transferred to Arizona" but never actually joined the football program.

Reactions: jnelsen040
Patrick O'Brien is #2 behind a fourth-year junior, Collin Hill.
POB was not going to be a fit for Frost, but it looks like barring an injury to the starter, he will not even start for CSU. With the exception of TA, QB recruiting for an utter disaster for NU for the entirety of the Pelini and Riley tenures. TMart was not recruited as a QB. Gebbia may get a year or two in Corvallis.

I mean the kids were recruited by a west-coast guy who promised the NFL and didn't preach unity or anything about Nebraska...I wouldn't blame them one bit for heading west. I would have hoped they actually stick it out for a program other than the doormat of the pac-12 but to each their own.

C'mon now... didn't you all see that Bubba Starling got called up to the majors? That has to count for something

It counts as incompetence on Bo's part in not realizing that Bubba was almost assuredly going the MLB route prior to recruiting him as our only QB that year.

Bo & Co. allegedly "peeling out" when leaving the Starlings' residence only adds to the mystique.

Last edited:
It counts as incompetence on Bo's part in not realizing that Bubba was almost assuredly going to MLB route prior to recruiting him as our only QB that year.

Bo & Co. allegedly "peeling out" when leaving the Starlings' residence only adds to the mystique.
Hahahaha haven't heard the "peeling out" story but there was some Peter Gammons report about Bo freaking out one way or another.

We actually signed another QB that year, Jamal Turner.... sigh

Hahahaha haven't heard the "peeling out" story but there was some Peter Gammons report about Bo freaking out one way or another.

We actually signed another QB that year, Jamal Turner.... sigh

I didn't include Jamal Turner because he was never intended to be a QB for NU (aside from potential Wildcat usage). It was pretty much known that he was a future WR even during his recruitment. He just happened to have "QB" next to his name on the commit list.

But yeah, the Gammons tweet about Bo "threatening" Bubba (and that being good news for the Royals) was bizarre. At the time, "those with knowledge" on RSS claimed that the threat was followed by a high-schoolish burnout in front of their house, but that part is likely folklore.

I certainly wouldn't put it past the Youngstown Mafia, but only the coaches and the Starlings (and perhaps a few of the Starlings' neighbors) know for sure. Smokin

Didn’t Cody end up @ Tulsa? Though nothing stellar, I do believe he ended up having an average career there.

Reactions: jnelsen040
I didn't include Jamal Turner because he was never intended to be a QB for NU (aside from potential Wildcat usage). It was pretty much known that he was a future WR even during his recruitment. He just happened to have "QB" next to his name on the commit list.

But yeah, the Gammons tweet about Bo "threatening" Bubba (and that being good news for the Royals) was bizarre. At the time, "those with knowledge" on RSS claimed that the threat was followed by a high-schoolish burnout in front of their house, but that part is likely folklore.

I certainly wouldn't put it past the Youngstown Mafia, but only the coaches and the Starlings (and perhaps a few of the Starlings' neighbors) know for sure. Smokin
Turner was recruited to be a QB. He just got beat out and didn't transfer

Turner was recruited to be a QB. He just got beat out and didn't transfer

I don't recall that. I remember him being talked about as an "athlete" that would likely end up at WR, save for potential Wildcat usage. The speculation about JT actually playing QB happened after Starling said no and the coaches didn't have any other QBs prospects left on their board.

The coaches gave JT a QB audition to fulfill a recruiting promise, but it was extremely short-lived. Given the lack of QB depth at the time, it says a lot that they moved him to WR almost immediately.

My recollection is that Turner was recruited as a QB, but when he enrolled early he was pretty much immediately moved to WR because we were so incredibly thin there. We were super thin at QB too, but coaches were confident enough that Martinez would get healthy. He only played WR in that first spring game. He took snaps at QB in later spring practices but I'm pretty sure that was for emergency prep only.

No he was recruited as a WR and played nothing but WR in the spring game but was told him they would let him try out at QB in fall camp along with Carnes Green and Kellogg as a recruiting pitch even though he was never going to be moved from WR.
I might be a clown on this board, but I know Husker Football going back to the 70s. Most on this board have no clue about our 60-3 run we had in the 90s. I know my college football.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I might be a clown on this board, but I know Husker Football going back to the 70s. Most on this board have no clue about our 60-3 run we had in the 90s. I know my college football.

Good for you. Does not change the fact that Turner getting a shot at QB was nothing more than a sales pitch to get him here.

Or do you you really think that with only 6 scholarship WR on the roster they were only going to bring in 1 WR in that class, let alone one like Taariq Allen who who they knew would need to redshirt?

Last edited:
Good for you. Does not change the fact that Turner getting a shot at QB was nothing more than a sales pitch to get him here.

Or do you you really think that with only 6 scholarship WR on the roster they were only going to bring in 1 WR in that class, let alone one like Taariq Allen who who they knew would need to redshirt?

Just further illustrates Pelini’s shortcomings as a recruiter. His teams were alway short at a couple of positions, never at 85 scholarships and he took reaches in an effort to get near 85. (Not that Turner was a reach).

Reactions: dinglefritz
Just further illustrates Pelini’s shortcomings as a recruiter. His teams were alway short at a couple of positions, never at 85 scholarships and he took reaches in an effort to get near 85. (Not that Turner was a reach).
This. Compare Pelini's efforts to Frost. Don't know what the rules for 5th year transfer were back a few years ago, but Noa and Darrion were pretty big gets, basically 10% of the starting lineup. Pelini only hit on a little over a third of his first big (28) class and had some well ranked classes that were littered with busts.
And yet his tenure included consistent 9 win seasons. He always had RBs that needed to be accounted for, was lucky to have TMart and Tommy (the rest his QB recruiting was hot garbage), and decent Olines.

Reactions: dckchusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT