ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question.

Lets say you get SF, what are your expectations next year record wise?

Well thanks to the Big 10 for giving us the toughest schedule in the entire conference for the second time in our 8 years in the conference, expectations will be low. BTW not once in those 8 years has Iowa been given a schedule like that...interesting. Finishing 6-6 would be a hell of a coaching job.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Well thanks to the Big 10 for giving us the toughest schedule in the entire conference for the second time in our 8 years in the conference, expectations will be low. BTW not once in those 8 years has Iowa been given a schedule like that...interesting. Finishing 6-6 would be a hell of a coaching job.
Iowa played the top three teams in the East this very year. Depending on how MSU/Michigan shake out over time, they may be scheduled to do so again in 2020.

Iowa played the top three teams in the East this very year. Depending on how MSU/Michigan shake out over time, they may be scheduled to do so again in 2020.

With two of the three at home...
We have Iowa schedule with two of them on the road plus @ Wisky @ Iowa @ Northwestern.

When did Iowa have that difficult of schedule since 2011?

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
With two of the three at home...
We have Iowa schedule with two of them on the road plus @ Wisky @ Iowa @ Northwestern.

When did Iowa have that difficult of schedule since 2011?
We won't know until the end of next year, but as of now, Nebraska is not scheduled to play the top three teams in the East.

And Iowa played Nebraska, Wisconsin and Northwestern on the road, as well.

Apparently this site is now filled with a bunch of low-expectation fans that forgot the 90's and where our expectations should be!

Next year (and every year), we better win the west division, win or be damn competitive in the CCG, play in a "New Years" bowl game and finish in the top 10.

If you think anything other than this, you are not a true Husker fan and should check yourself at the door.

NO EXCUSES!!!

SmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokin
No one ever said this. Ever.
Smokin

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
We won't know until the end of next year, but as of now, Nebraska is not scheduled to play the top three teams in the East.

And Iowa played Nebraska, Wisconsin and Northwestern on the road, as well.

Fact of the matter is that Iowa played 5 conference games at home and 4 away.
Nebraska in 2018 will play 4 games at home and 5 games away...That makes the schedule tougher unless Michigan, MSU or tOSU take a crapper and finish 0.500 or worse which I doubt.

Never said Iowa didn't play the other 3 West teams away.

It wasn't the players...

Riley is gone guys...that shit is over.

The players are to blame as well. Do you think Nick Gates isn't to blame for something?

We're very poorly conditioned IMO, have a lot of poor technique, put in a half assed effort, etc. These are things that don't just change over night and will take time.

We're also lacking a cog or two that could trouble transition. We don't have a true dual threat QB, need some speed at RB and we'll need our defense to be better than one of the worst in country if we want to meet your expectations.

Scott Frost just showing up isn't going to make things all better again, he's going to have to work for it and it might just take some time.

I'm going to say 5 to 7 wins this season. I think we'll have some growing pains..

I expect no less than 15 wins! 15 wins or bust!

Ok reality? I dont have a set number of win totals or expectations. I suppose I would say no worse than this year. I want to see improvement and I have no idea how long it will take for his scheme to be picked up by these players. Scott Frost is a very smart guy, with a lot of tools in the ol' toolbox, I suspect he will be able to get these guys improved. I would really like to see the Defense win against the wet paper bag this next season.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
The players are to blame as well. Do you think Nick Gates isn't to blame for something?

We're very poorly conditioned IMO, have a lot of poor technique, put in a half assed effort, etc. These are things that don't just change over night and will take time.

We're also lacking a cog or two that could trouble transition. We don't have a true dual threat QB, need some speed at RB and we'll need our defense to be better than one of the worst in country if we want to meet your expectations.

Scott Frost just showing up isn't going to make things all better again, he's going to have to work for it and it might just take some time.

I'm going to say 5 to 7 wins this season. I think we'll have some growing pains..

It was Bo's fault that they could only win 9. It was Riley's fault that they could only win 4.

Exactly...the stink has been washed off.

I didn't buy into the lame excuse of toxins and I won't buy into the lame excuse of some Riley-Stench.
Look, I hope you guys are right and they can gain some mental toughness in one offseason. I just don’t think it’s so easy to flip a switch and suddenly be a mentally tough team. It’s driven me nuts these last 14 years when they say “We’re playing Wisconsin (or whoever) so we are gonna have to be tough.” It doesn’t work that way. And the results on the field have spoken to that fact. It’s gonna take some time for this team to learn how to be the toughest team EVERY week no matter the opponent. IMO, of course.

Edit: Doesn’t it seem like our team is tapping out and getting minor injuries that stop play more than our opponents? That’s been the Nebraska way for far too long. It’s persisted since Callahan. If NU is tough next year I will be very pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: davecisar
I want to see improvement and I have no idea how long it will take for his scheme to be picked up by these players. Scott Frost is a very smart guy, with a lot of tools in the ol' toolbox, I suspect he will be able to get these guys improved. I would really like to see the Defense win against the wet paper bag this next season.

This.

The defense will be the difference. If the D can get back to even just where Banker had it, it would drastically help the offense win games.

With the skill players we have on offense, I would bet the offense isn't the biggest issue against most teams.

Reactions: NU_FTW
Good lord did Riley ever lower a lot of our expectations.

Next year, with Frost?

3-0 in the non-con
6-0 in the division (5-1 at worst)
1-2 or 2-1 vs the west

Worst case: 9-3
Best case: 11-1

I Strongly disagree
Akron- Win- they are 8-4, not a bad team but not a lot of depth. Probability NU wins this game 95%
Troy- Win- they are 9-2 and beat LSU- so not a guaranteed win in any way shape or form- but a probable win 80%
Colorado- A competitive team that finished 5-7 but only 3 starters back on O , but 8 on D- Losing Leavitt hurt their D- win 75%
Michigan- coming off probable 9 win season- with 8 returners on D and 7 on O- will be very strong on D- Loss- winning chance is 30%
Purdue- coming off 6-7 win season returning 10 on O and 6 on D- played us tough and KNOWS they can beat us. 10 returning on O and 6 on D- Win 70%
Wisconsin- bully of the west- ALWAYS a great defense. 12-1 this season 9 returning on O and 5 on D- Loss- probable win chance 20%
Northwestern- 10-3 this year, good coaching, 7 returning on O and 7 ON D. Jackson FINALLY gone. Win- 60%
Minnesota- 5-7 know they can beat us. Has spurts of playing well. Young team started 5 Freshmen, 10 on O returning and 6 on D. Win 65%
Ohio State- We arent in their galaxy yet. Loss 5% chance of winning
Illinois- some signs of life, starting and playing lots of Freshmen. Returning 9 starters on O and 9 on D. Win 80%
Michigan State- 9-4 always play great D and find ways to win. Yes weve had success but they have 10 returners on O and 9 on Defense- VERY young team. Loss winning chance 30%
Iowa 7-6 7 returners on O and 6 on D- they have had our number Loss- winning chance 35%

So While I predict 7-5 in regular season and feel that would be a VERY successful first year. I think it will end up 6-6. We dont win any of the games I predict we lose and we lose one Ive predicted we win. NONE of the games are real gimmies with the exception of Akron, Illinois and then Troy and Colorado- which are loseable games. Purdue probably fits there too- even with a change in coaching our margin for error is not big. We have one of those games where we dont play well and get a few breaks against us- injuries etc- we could lose.

So worst case is probably 5-7 and best 7-5- Im guessing we end up at 6-6
If we get a good matchup in the bowl game and finish 8-5- that would be a fantastic first year, End up 7-6- and do the below- I would be happy

All Im looking for is more fight, better physicality and just watching better coached football. Will know that when I see it- PROGRESS.

Last edited:

This is so true. Riley was very bad. They did not want to win.

I think you are on target for 5-7 but a good chance we steal one or two for either 6-6 or 7-5.

Triage.

Gonna win: Akron, Troy, Illinois
Should win: Colorado, Minnesota, Purdue
Might win: Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern
Not likely: Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Win the top six. Steal one or more from the others.

With the Huskers schedule next year and whether there is a QB who can run SF's system make next year tough. I suspect Scott and Co. will do a better job calling plays that fit Lee, POB or Gebbia's strengths than what Riley/Langsdorf tried to do with Tommy Armstrong. Make him into Drew Brees. Good coaching is going to win some games but it is not going to do magic against the very top teams in the Big 10. I am just looking for it to be fun again to watch a Nebraska game.

Dr. Tom set the standard. 9 wins min
(and being civilized)

anything below that = hot water
anything above that = gravy

these are basic army issued standards, no rocket science involved

Get a least 6 wins and hope for a bowl game to start a new era. Nebraska is a very young team and what it lacked was discipline and real leadership. It's no secret that this team has some really good talent it just needs to be guided properly.

Perfect example of a Frost team was in 2016 when they went to the big house and got blown out by Michigan. Frost's focus was not on the score but how physical they were, and how they competed. It completely changed the tenor for a previously 0-12 team, they realized that the process matters more than the score. A coach is going to last a long time if he can put games in proper perspective and keep a season from derailing. Bo would still be here if his teams could have continually competed in big games, not won them, but competed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT